GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: thank you...lex

Originally posted by gs4will
lex,

just want to complement you for taking time and effort informing guys like myself on this hid topics...

if you could, please tell me on the stock GS4, would a switch to, say, D2R(or D2S, forgot which again) bulbs from jan at suvlights.com or the site that manarya held the hid groupbuy(from europe) make the stock 4100k system emits more blue or purpleish light similar to those found on audi/bmws?

i do not want short bulb life similar to those cheesy wannabes on the ricermoblies

thanks a lot

william
i will try to help a bit. the bulbs you should get is the d2r (reflective) type. the stock one is 4100 (dunno if it's osram or philips), so either the bulbs from suvlight.com or autolamp-online.com (either philips or osram) would be the same, unless you get the 6000k ones.

if you get 6000k ones, it's a bit dimmer, but not noticeable imho. if you get 6000k it's a direct swap. you have more bluish light, but still hard to match that of the bimmer / audi, coz' they use projective type (d2s) and their lens design produce the bluish / stylist glare.

and i don't think you can go wrong with either philips or osram. both high quality stuff
Old 08-15-02, 01:03 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: thank you...lex

Originally posted by rominl

i will try to help a bit. the bulbs you should get is the d2r (reflective) type. the stock one is 4100 (dunno if it's osram or philips), so either the bulbs from suvlight.com or autolamp-online.com (either philips or osram) would be the same, unless you get the 6000k ones.

if you get 6000k ones, it's a bit dimmer, but not noticeable imho. if you get 6000k it's a direct swap. you have more bluish light, but still hard to match that of the bimmer / audi, coz' they use projective type (d2s) and their lens design produce the bluish / stylist glare.

and i don't think you can go wrong with either philips or osram. both high quality stuff

The only difference between the D2S and the D2R is a little thin stip of cermic coating that block some of the light out.

Any D2S will be brighter than any D2R just for the fact of that little strip no matter what temperature bulb it is.

Heres a pic!
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-d2s-vs-d2r.jpg  
Old 08-15-02, 01:05 AM
enginyr
Banned

Btw I got my set of 8000k's D2S's for $285 shipped.

Last edited by enginyr; 08-15-02 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-15-02, 03:06 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl

like i said today, i can get philips 6000k hid bulbs for ya for 250 a pair. philips brand

6000k hid conversion kit would be around 500
Is that the HID conversion thats offered throught the current GB???
Old 08-15-02, 08:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lex400SC - Don't stress bro...Enginyr is just a ricer. Plain an simple....great info on the lights though!
Old 08-15-02, 10:33 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by manaray
Lex400SC - Don't stress bro...Enginyr is just a ricer. Plain an simple....great info on the lights though!

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 08-15-02, 11:57 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: thank you...lex

Originally posted by enginyr

The only difference between the D2S and the D2R is a little thin stip of cermic coating that block some of the light out.

Any D2S will be brighter than any D2R just for the fact of that little strip no matter what temperature bulb it is.

Heres a pic!
i think D2s is made for projector headlights and D2r is made for non-projector headlights.
Old 08-15-02, 01:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D2S will be slightly brighter, but will not yield any additional color. The color flicker you see in Audis and BMWs are from the projector and projector alone. I have the X5 Hella projector in my car, and the lens itself is much clearer than our halogen projectors. They also have prismatic ridges on the lens, which creates the color band. My low beams flicker orange and blue, and I have PLENTY of color, and at the same time I'm getting white light on the road. If you want even more color, you can buy the very expensive ece-spec lenses from Europe. They are almost 100% transparent and throw off more color flicker than you'll ever ask for, all from a 4100K bulb. The cut-off is razor sharp too.

Steve, just because your hospital is switching doesn't mean Osram has the inside track. If I switched my ht receiver from Denon to Emerson, does that mean that industry-wide, Emerson is doing better than Denon? Nope. Try finding Philips HID bulbs at online and b&m retailers, then try the same for Osram. What you'll experience is that the Philips name is much more powerful than the relatively obscure Osram brand. Osram is focusing their efforts on the OEM market, but Philips is dominating the OEM and aftermarket. Just by sheer volume Philips is the leader. Quality is debateable, but many lighting buffs agree that Philips bulbs are superior.

Here's a picture of my lens. It's tough but you can kind of see the rings on the lens and it is quite obviously more transparent than the SC400 lens which is more of a translucent lens...
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-10.jpg  
Old 08-15-02, 01:27 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i would agree with lex on this one. check out his pics in the SC forum. They're awesome! Better than ANY aftermarket HID kit.
Old 08-15-02, 02:16 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by lex400sc
D2S will be slightly brighter, but will not yield any additional color. The color flicker you see in Audis and BMWs are from the projector and projector alone. I have the X5 Hella projector in my car, and the lens itself is much clearer than our halogen projectors. They also have prismatic ridges on the lens, which creates the color band. My low beams flicker orange and blue, and I have PLENTY of color, and at the same time I'm getting white light on the road. If you want even more color, you can buy the very expensive ece-spec lenses from Europe. They are almost 100% transparent and throw off more color flicker than you'll ever ask for, all from a 4100K bulb. The cut-off is razor sharp too.

Steve, just because your hospital is switching doesn't mean Osram has the inside track. If I switched my ht receiver from Denon to Emerson, does that mean that industry-wide, Emerson is doing better than Denon? Nope. Try finding Philips HID bulbs at online and b&m retailers, then try the same for Osram. What you'll experience is that the Philips name is much more powerful than the relatively obscure Osram brand. Osram is focusing their efforts on the OEM market, but Philips is dominating the OEM and aftermarket. Just by sheer volume Philips is the leader. Quality is debateable, but many lighting buffs agree that Philips bulbs are superior.

Here's a picture of my lens. It's tough but you can kind of see the rings on the lens and it is quite obviously more transparent than the SC400 lens which is more of a translucent lens...
Do they offer this Lensed system for the GS?
Old 08-15-02, 03:14 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

You'd have to retrofit your GS reflectors with projectors, and then swap out the lens for the e-code version.
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-porjector-gs.jpg  
Old 08-15-02, 03:21 PM
enginyr
Banned

Might as well mention the M-benz side blinking mirrors that aren't available also. Since this is not readily available, and won't be for years to come, our only option are these 8000k bulbs.

These 8000k HID's are the closest thing to the blue your X5 assemblies produce naturally, which swap out in 10 minutes.

Still can't get over how beutiful the blue is...
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-side-by-side.jpg  
Old 08-15-02, 04:22 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

here is my stock hid's in stock hid housing.. whole set-up was put in about a coupla months ago..
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-blindin.jpg  
Old 08-17-02, 02:31 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: thank you...lex

Originally posted by enginyr

Heres a pic!
wrong. there is another difference on the bulb. try putting a d2s into a d2r headlamp and vice versa and it wont fit w/o minor modifications. Can be easily done w/ a dremel or a file and about 15 secs of your time.

heheh i guarantee that my 4100k has more color than any 8000k bulb out on the market =)

Last edited by see_fu; 08-17-02 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-17-02, 04:40 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

both PIAA and Philips strongly recommend that people DON'T put D2S bulbs in Reflector type HID housings (GS type). D2S bulbs were designed for Projector type housings, and the long-term side effect for D2S bulbs in a GS could result in abnormal HID life decrease.

Quick Reply: Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!