GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My custom SRT intake box.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 04:55 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My custom SRT intake box.....

Sorry guys,

I have to repost my thread here since my other thread really belongs to the classified section.....

It was about a few month ago when I first posted these pictures....... let me know what you guys think. I could have shown to the people in the recent Carson meet, but my car had to be parked across the street. Anyway, if you are interested just PM me. You can also check out the classified section for more detail.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails My custom SRT intake box.....-intake-box1.jpg  

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 08-13-02 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 04:56 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails My custom SRT intake box.....-intake-box-4.jpg  
Old 08-13-02, 05:04 PM
RacingAristo

Roger,

It's unfortunate that I didn't get to meet you in the meeting. I'd love to check out your CAB in person.
Old 08-13-02, 05:36 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Dennis,

I feel the same, too. I really wanted to meet some of you LA members. Oh well, next time.
Old 08-13-02, 09:50 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

few more pictues...
Attached Thumbnails My custom SRT intake box.....-intake2.jpg  
Old 08-13-02, 09:53 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

last one...
Attached Thumbnails My custom SRT intake box.....-intake3.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 03:22 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey, i think it looks nice.. although you should've made it transpart as some other cl member and put neon inside i'd look even better
Old 08-14-02, 07:17 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

mind if i ask the benefits of enclosing the filter w/ a box? i assume it's noise?
Old 08-14-02, 09:03 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Liazon,

You are correct. I have absolutely no complain about the SRT intake except for the noise that it generate at all rpm. With this box which has noise/temp dampening forms at both inside and outside, not only the noise has reduced dramatically, but the temperature going into the filter has also reduced as well.

I hope I have answered you question......
Old 08-15-02, 01:58 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good.. may i ask how you did this?.. i know weapon r (cheap junk i know) makes a box similar to this. did you consider purchasing their's or was it easier/cheaper to make your own?
Old 08-15-02, 10:22 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hi Baadhabit,

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortuantely, I have never seen the Weapon-R product in person except with what people have posted in here, so I cannot really comment on their products. Since Weapon-R enclosure is really designed for their own intake, I did want to modify it to make it fit for the SRT intake.

I really have no complain about the SRT's intake system, except for the noise that it generate. My wife almost made me take the unit off the car. As a result, I knew I had to do something about it since no one really has any solution at that time.

I decided to make my own since I have the tools and the resources to make this happen. I am doing this as a hobby, therefore, making money is not the motivation behind my design. As you will see that, I am using two difference thickness of sheet metal and foams for my design (which usually drive the cost up from a businese stand point of view), but I think those are the best combination to get the job done right.

I am hoping that people will be pleased with my design after they installed it on their cars. I had this enclosure in my car for the past few month and I have no problem with it. It really reduced the noise and the temperature as per design.

We shall see......cross my fingers

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 08-15-02 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 01:29 AM
systek
Driver School Candidate

looks good to me
Old 08-17-02, 11:56 AM
LexFather

That looks great! One of the reasons I have not shown much intrest in an intake is the high noise level, just a lil too much for me. So, is this stickey to gauge interest for a group buy or something? Great work dude!
Old 08-18-02, 11:35 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey 1sicklex,

Thanks for the compliment. I have to agree with you on the noise level of the SRT intake. My wife was not very happy with the noise after the intake installation. As a result, I have to come up with something to please the Mrs.

As far as the groupbuy thingy, I am still not quite sure how to handle it at this point. I have many people contacted me and expressed their interest in this enclosure. My price is very fair since I am doing this as a hobby and not as a businese. Regardless how many people actually want to make the purchase, I have already spent the money on all the materials.

Maybe you should wait and see what others have to say about my enclosure. This enclosure might change your mind of not buying the SRT intake since it will reduce the unwanted noise significantly. If you haven't seen my other thread in the GS400/430 classified section, you may want to take a look at it. I have included everything that you will receive in the package.

Again, thanks for your compliment.

kaju
Old 08-19-02, 12:04 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kaju and others

Disclaimer - I'm not associated in any way with Kajukenbo.

We dyno'd my GS4 at the PHR meet in Ft. Worth Sunday and one of the compliments I got was "Sounds GREAT!" and it did - really had an agressive growl - not the usual SRT noise. I can't tell you how great it sounded at wot.

The reason I'm posting this is that Kaju has made a commercial product that is very much like the one I made myself. The main point is that the full enclosure is INSULATED. I think that you can expect to satisfy the wife with the reduced noise and still get some advantage of the cooler air. I can also say that you can't duplicate what he's doing for less money - mine cost as much as his and I had a lot of work to do to make it all fit.

My .02 cents worth.

Quick Reply: My custom SRT intake box.....