GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

We own the fastest model in the Lexus Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 03:51 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How???

How does anyone think a GS is higher than an SC4 or 430?? If that was the case,... why does a SC400/430 cost more???

The SC4 costs more than everything except the LX470,... something to consider.

Now I do agree, and hate it,.. the GS4 is quicker, not faster,... but it makes no good sense to me. Same engine, same year, similar weight, and a 0-60mph time difference of 1.6 sec's??? That's what I don't understand.

Last point,... the SC400's consumer rating is a good bit higher than the GS anything,... look anywhere, all the same,... all good cars,... but maybe not as good as we'd like to believe.

My aunt/uncle have a GS3 and LS430,.. and I wouldn't trade my SC4 for either one of them...
Old 08-30-02, 04:46 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not speaking for others, but i never said the GS was "higher" than the SCs. The reason that it costs more has a thousand variables so we won't go into that, but its not more expensive because it is simply higher. the IS and ES cost about the same, but who's gonna say that they're actually equals in terms of being higher, if you're measuring something like prestige or austerity or whatever.

anyhow, its obviously good that you enjoy your SC so much, because we all know that exact same feeling. you bought yours because you like it, and we bought ours for the same reason. trust me, we wouldn't exchange one of ours for the SC either, but the LS430 is a different story
Old 08-30-02, 05:11 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have beaten a 6sp 540i when I was stock...it was a very good race but I came out on top, not by much! Now I ran one in the dirt on the Interstate. I had at least 2.5 car lenght from 55 to 120+
Old 08-30-02, 06:53 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

the 400 are definitely fast, but i still believe a well driven 6sp will beat it. lexus themselves never claimed it would beat a 5, but just saying that it was the fastest automatic sedan, until the auto m3 sedan came along.

and the M-cars and AMG should be considered stock, because they're sold on the factory floor, made by a wholly owned subsidary. regardless, it feels so good every time we hear a lexus slapping a BMW around. love that bmw/porcupine joke!
Old 08-30-02, 07:22 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bravo261
the 400 are definitely fast, but i still believe a well driven 6sp will beat it. lexus themselves never claimed it would beat a 5, but just saying that it was the fastest automatic sedan, until the auto m3 sedan came along.

and the M-cars and AMG should be considered stock, because they're sold on the factory floor, made by a wholly owned subsidary. regardless, it feels so good every time we hear a lexus slapping a BMW around. love that bmw/porcupine joke!
It wasn't the auto M3 it was the SuperCharge JAG that came along. The GS400 can take the auto M3 and it would be a good match for the manuel if your talking out the 4dr ones The M3 would lose, That is the older version not the NEW which was not out when the GS400 came out.
Old 08-31-02, 03:40 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu
I get the finger whenever I drive aggressively in the GS. Strange, for some reason, people expect that drivers of GS should drive like grannies because whenever I am in my M3, I drive the same way and nobody gives me the finger. It's like they expect it from a BMW driver to drive aggressively but when a GS does it, I am considered a jerk and deserve the finger...WTH???

PS I NEVER cut people off - they just don't let me in! J/K!!

Brent
Me too. I wonder why that happends.
Old 08-31-02, 03:59 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Default Re: How???

Originally posted by NAZTY97
How does anyone think a GS is higher than an SC4 or 430?? If that was the case,... why does a SC400/430 cost more???

The SC4 costs more than everything except the LX470,... something to consider.

Now I do agree, and hate it,.. the GS4 is quicker, not faster,... but it makes no good sense to me. Same engine, same year, similar weight, and a 0-60mph time difference of 1.6 sec's??? That's what I don't understand.

Last point,... the SC400's consumer rating is a good bit higher than the GS anything,... look anywhere, all the same,... all good cars,... but maybe not as good as we'd like to believe.

My aunt/uncle have a GS3 and LS430,.. and I wouldn't trade my SC4 for either one of them...
Bravo nailed it... i did not say we had the highest lexus model... read through the whole thread. i accidently forgot to remove that and i said that in one of my later posts.

Last edited by Toog4me; 08-31-02 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-31-02, 05:12 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

he clearly didn't read your post. got excited about having his SC talked down on and posted before noticing your fix.

pusher,

i don't remember when the supercharged jaguar showed up, but i was referring to the E36 M3. the sedan auto is faster than the gs400, and the manual if even faster than the sedan of course. the sedans are simply coupes with the extra doors. everything is mostly the same, even the gear ratios.

the newer m3's, whew, now that's scary...
Old 09-01-02, 12:55 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BMW 330ci

Did you guys know 330ci (auto) 0-60 is 5.8 sec. Is this for real? This car barely has 230 HP. When did it get so fast. This car puts my GS4 in it's place.
Old 09-01-02, 06:11 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

that's exactly my point. bimmers just have so much more gearing(not literally) towards performance that a bimmer will almost always beat its lexus equal. see what the 330i does with what it has? how does the IS compare? not too well.

i will quickly admit it, i'm scared of bimmers in general(even if i kept the 430). they're faster and handle better, no matter how you slice it. Coldintake, you still here? though the 540 has 282 and the 430 has 300, i'd bet on the skilled 540 anyday.
Old 09-01-02, 01:58 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: BMW 330ci

Originally posted by KILLERGS4
Did you guys know 330ci (auto) 0-60 is 5.8 sec. Is this for real? This car barely has 230 HP. When did it get so fast. This car puts my GS4 in it's place.
When did this happen!!!! It must be when they took the 330ci and throw it down a cliff.

Originally posted by bravo261
that's exactly my point. bimmers just have so much more gearing(not literally) towards performance that a bimmer will almost always beat its lexus equal. see what the 330i does with what it has? how does the IS compare? not too well.

i will quickly admit it, i'm scared of bimmers in general(even if i kept the 430). they're faster and handle better, no matter how you slice it. Coldintake, you still here? though the 540 has 282 and the 430 has 300, i'd bet on the skilled 540 anyday.
I have beaten 540 with 6 speed on two occasions. Are you saying that BMW drivers with the 6 speed transmission not skilled drivers?
Old 09-02-02, 04:27 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i'm saying that not all of them are skilled drivers. when they see competition, their BMW-minds kick in and they think their king of the roads and will race anything. therefore, a good GS can certainly overtake a guy that can't shift worth crap.

i'm not saying this to anyone particular, because there are many 400s and 430s here that can beat a 6-speed because of the mods they have. what i'm saying is this: A stock v-8 against a skilled 6-speed should lose. all the reviews, numbers, and comparisons say just that. it doesn't hurt to admit that there are faster cars out there
Old 09-02-02, 05:05 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

What I think is STILL impressive is that an automatic Lexus (perceived by the automotive press as soft and cushy) can be in the same league with a six-speed 5-series (perceived as "the ultimate driving machine"). Yeah, on any given day you may win or lose, but just being right there should smash those incorrect stereotypes...
Old 09-02-02, 05:14 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Iceman
What I think is STILL impressive is that an automatic Lexus (perceived by the automotive press as soft and cushy) can be in the same league with a six-speed 5-series (perceived as "the ultimate driving machine"). Yeah, on any given day you may win or lose, but just being right there should smash those incorrect stereotypes...
that's exactly what i think. thank you!! we don't have to beat, them, just scare the hell of out them by being right there with them. "how's that old-mans lexus holding up with my propellered hood emblem? my mid-life crisis is coming back to me!!"
Old 09-03-02, 11:27 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

A yall I don't know about yall but on the freewal i have beat a 2001 s500 with my 99 gs. we raced for fifteen minutes and he couldn't pass me. maybe he couldn't drive i don't know

Quick Reply: We own the fastest model in the Lexus Lineup