GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus fixed my low idle problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02 | 08:30 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Update

Originally posted by BananaGS
The dealer wrote in the receipt of the problem description is:
"Thick carbon build up on the throttle body and throttle plate"

........Anh
Well, it looks like your intake has nothing to do with it. Sounds like a normal PCV residue. I guess, it's time to clean mine. Great post. Thanks.
Old 08-18-02 | 11:57 PM
bryanb124
Driver School Candidate

Talking

This is a very common problem, especially with modified or performance intakes/air filters such as K&N or TRD. I drive a 2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD w/TRD supercharger and K&N air filter. The bottom line is that using an oiled filter definitely catches more particles prior to entering the air flow, but if over oiled, can lead to contamination and oil buildup on the throttle body (read this as dirt and carbon--it sticks to oil....).

This is a very easy fix and I do it once a year on my Taco...all you need is carb cleaner or electric contact cleaner, or some folks have even found an actual "throttle body" cleaner. take the air intake off up the throttle body. Using the lightest touch (or no tough at all) clean off the small electrical fillaments in the air intake at the MAF. Next, using a rag and any of the products I discussed above, clean all of the excess oil and build up off of the butterfly valve. Now, push it open and clean the inside.

The major issue with performance is NOT at the throttle body, but at the MAF sensor, which can very easily become contaminated and provide incorrect readings to the computer...hence **** poor performance and a fluctuating idle.

The solution in the future is to ensure that you do NOT over oil your oiled performance filter. The "more is better" solution does not apply to performance oiled filters...

good luck!!!

later

Bryan
Old 08-19-02 | 01:00 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

guys, guys, guys...

my car is at the dealer right now for the same problem. they told me my throttle body was dirty with carbon build up, so they cleaned it and they said the idle is now normal. well, when i went to pick up my car yesterday, it still idled at 400 rpm, but they say the computer readout was around 510. and my car still vibrates like before. they told me that they would take another look at my car with another tech there to see if anything comes up. but i did mention to them that a "friend" of mine (from CL of course, hehe) had his TPS replaced for "FREE" under warranty and it solved the problem. the guy told me that "NO" the TPS is not covered under warranty and that i would be charged for adjusting it. it would cost me around 160 to fix it if it was the TPS that needed to be adjusted. man, i think we should get a petition going on and send it to Lexus to see if they can make this a recall issue, cuz i don't see why a $58k car should vibrate like this.