GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus fixed my low idle problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 02:15 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus fixed my low idle problem.

No computer error, not the TSP sensor.
They had cleaned the throttle body, cost $85 (1hr work)
(they said it's extremly dirty) that was the problem.

They tested the car and said it fixed the problem. i am going to lexus to pick the car up now. For those with this weird problem, look into it.
I have this problem before and after install SRT ECU, so it's not the ECU

Anh
Old 08-15-02, 02:22 PM
enginyr
Banned

Cleaning the throttle body is something like a fuel injection cleaning?
Old 08-15-02, 02:30 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, good find Anh. One more item to have done next weekend.

edit:

that seem like one of the most obvious thinkgs to check; I don't know why I didn't think of that already. When I had my intake installed at SRT, I remember Mo stating that Lexus may have slipped up a tad on their engineering becasue he said he sees that varnish always in the same spot on those bodies; he showed it to me on mine, and sure as heck, there was a pure black film just inside the body.

Last edited by ///MDex; 08-15-02 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 04:49 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info. I'm curious though if your intake had something to do with it or some other factor. Did they say what kind of dirt they found, ie. carbon build up, oil with dust, etc.? If we know this, we might be able to trace the culprit and prolong the maintenance between cleaning.
Old 08-15-02, 06:08 PM
Murph
Pole Position

IRA Lexus in Danvers MA did this as part of the 60K service. Same price. I did not have a low idle issue so I guess it's just preventative maintenence for me.

Murph
Old 08-15-02, 06:32 PM
tmasta
Intermediate

does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? also i have the SRT intake.. will they try to make up some crap like the intake caused this?? this problem has been tickin me off for a while, i hope this is the final fix!!! thanks bananags!!

T
Old 08-15-02, 07:19 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool Re: Lexus fixed my low idle problem.

Originally posted by BananaGS
No computer error, not the TSP sensor.
They had cleaned the throttle body, cost $85 (1hr work)
(they said it's extremly dirty) that was the problem.

They tested the car and said it fixed the problem. i am going to lexus to pick the car up now. For those with this weird problem, look into it.
I have this problem before and after install SRT ECU, so it's not the ECU

Anh
My Dealer changed the throttle body for my 2001 GS430 under warrantee about 6 months ago for the same problem. Seems like they took the cheap way out. :eek:
Old 08-15-02, 08:00 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default careful

Be careful before using a solvent such as carb /FI cleaner to clean the throttle body as the TPS can be damaged from the fluid or even the fumes. Best bet is to use a rag that has solvent on it and clean it that way. Or a low VOC carb/fi cleaner.
Lexus/Toyota TPS's are very sensitive to solvents. I believe a TSB was issued on this some years back for Lexus/Toyota.
Old 08-15-02, 09:32 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

hi
what exactly was the problem??
thanks
Old 08-16-02, 03:33 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by tmasta
does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? also i have the SRT intake.. will they try to make up some crap like the intake caused this?? this problem has been tickin me off for a while, i hope this is the final fix!!! thanks bananags!!

T
Just do it yourself, and avoid the dealer, because once they see the intake, they probably won't touch anything.

PP makes an excellent point as well - spray a little mild solvent (not sure what yet; WD40 maybe?) on a rag, then gently wipe the inside of the body. Most of the gunk is within the first couple inches of the body pipe. Damn, I don't know why this escaped me for so long......
Old 08-16-02, 05:04 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

sounds like a good idea dex.. thanks.. u sure wd40.. anyone else have any suggestions about what to use???? just dont wanna do anything bad to the car thanks again!

pearl,

r u implyin it is bad to use it directly on the body itself? or to use that stuff at all in the fuel is bad?

T
Old 08-16-02, 05:22 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default TPS and solvents

Its funny that someone mentioned that our TPS was very sensitive. I had my 60K service on July 3rd which included injector cleaning fluid. On July 4th my car would not respond to the accelerator pedal and I had it towed back to the dealer. They reported that the Throttle Position Sensor was bad and that they would replace it for free after I raised hell about having my first break down the day after I paid them $811 for preventive maintenance.
Old 08-16-02, 05:51 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

hey ive been lookin it up on the net and there r many sites that tell u what to use and how to clean the throttle body. type in cleaning a throttle body in any web search and a million things will come up.. and for anyone that is too lazy hehe.. here r some links i found

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...s/index2.phtml

http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa080302a.htm

hope this helps!

T
Old 08-16-02, 06:24 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool, i'll clean this as soon as i can!

anyone know why our throttle only opens to 72%? on my GS300 anyways... pressing the peddle down full is only 72% (OBD II Tester) and when u look at the throttle plate, it hasn't turned even 75 degrees.. where it should be close to 90!! 90 would be full open but since it starts a bit open for the idle....

is this a problem with my car or are all GS like that? if they are whats the point and will opening it full help?
Old 08-16-02, 06:26 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default Update

I 've been testing out the car since yesterday.
The IDLE in D IS still low, just alittle higher than before,
I was running around 400rpm (2 marks), now it's idle at close to the 3rd mark, so I am close to 600. but that is still low.

maybe i need to clean the throttle body myself

The dealer wrote in the receipt of the problem description is:
"Thick carbon build up on the throttle body and throttle plate"

well, this may not be the main cause for low idle, but this is one of the factor I guess, they said before they can figure out the main problem, the first thing would be cleaning the thottle body.

lexusRules, I will check my throttle plate out, if it's only open 75%, that mean your throttle link cable is loose, tighten your throttle cable, it's should be at 100% (90 degree) at WOT, unless Lexus make some funny thing
here that I don't know.

BTW, don't worry about the low idle problem if your car does not die on you at traffic light or just keep the AC on =) (just to clarify)

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 08-16-02 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus fixed my low idle problem.