GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Preventing rust on shaved fender!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 09:49 AM
1luvGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duckJAI
Rust Inhibator would be good as well. It's specificly used for exposed clean metal.

Another question is, do you guys shave the entire lip off the fender? The bodyshop that I had mine done only shaved until the weld spots. They said if they shaved past it, the rear fender could buckle on any large pothole impacts or even railway tracks.
No, mine is also only done until the weld spots, but i still didnt clear with my aggressive setup, so i ended up rolling a shaved fender..
Old 02-03-11, 10:15 AM
duckJAI
Driver

I'm looking at that option too but it seems that it is pretty hard to roll such a small surface after being shaved.

Did it come out as a clean flat roll?
Old 02-03-11, 10:44 AM
1luvGS3
Driver School Candidate

Duckjai- almost came out perfect but on one side began to dimple.

Tsai- what's the brand of undercoating rubber spray?
Old 02-03-11, 11:06 AM
duckJAI
Driver

Originally Posted by 1luvGS3
That's awesome! Can I ask what method you used to roll? Did you have to do anything special to get the results? I was hesitant to attempt it since it looked pretty hard to roll but if you got a good roll I'm willing to do it too.

I need to fit 18x10 +5 in the rears, currently at 18x10 +20
Old 02-03-11, 08:08 PM
1luvGS3
Driver School Candidate

That's awesome! Can I ask what method you used to roll? Did you have to do anything special to get the results? I was hesitant to attempt it since it looked pretty hard to roll but if you got a good roll I'm willing to do it too.

I need to fit 18x10 +5 in the rears, currently at 18x10 +20
Nothing special. Just a heat gun, my buddy's roller from poweredbymax, and patience
Old 02-04-11, 07:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another question is, do you guys shave the entire lip off the fender? The bodyshop that I had mine done only shaved until the weld spots. They said if they shaved past it, the rear fender could buckle on any large pothole impacts or even railway tracks.
That is ENTIRELY incorrect. Maybe on a Honda/Acura with thin sheetmetal that's true, but not the GS. There are many members on this forum for that have been running full shaved with no issues for 5 + years. Just between me and one other local member, we have over 100k miles driven.

So get a belt sander and shave it all off ! !

Here’s the inner lip areas after everything was shaved smooth and then primered. This was followed by silver and then all but the last ½ inch by the lip was sprayed with rubberized undercoating.

Here’s what my set up looks like with about 1 to 2mm of clearance between the fender and tire, but I have Zero rub at any drop. If you roll the lip you WILL NOT get as much clearance as this set up since the thickness of the metal gives less clearance than shaving it off. I'm running 295 tires on 20x 11 rims, so this is pretty close to the limit without pulling or cambering. Since this discussion is ONLY about shaving options I won't go into those other options.

Old 02-04-11, 07:43 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by 1luvGS3
If you Do A Search there are several threads talking about dimpleing when you roll. No One who rolls is going to guarantee you that they'll pay for a new paint job if the fender dimples or give you a 3 year warrantee that the paint won't crack. There's always some level of risk with rolling.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-04-11 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 07:44 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a combination of touch up paint and 3m rubberized undercoating spray. I am also shaved all the way with miles of driving through D.C. and Baltimore no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Preventing rust on shaved fender!?!-dsc00839.jpg  

Last edited by lkapimp216; 02-04-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 07:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I've never read about it being used for this, but my wife uses a strong rust preventative paint on her track car on the interior, roll cage, etc. Interior of her car is mostly exposed metal that has had welding or sanding, etc. Bet it would be good for this purpose.

http://www.por15.com/

This stuff is crazy, so be careful when you use it. Definitely take off any wheels, etc because whatever you get it on, it isn't coming off.
Old 02-04-11, 08:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
That is ENTIRELY incorrect. Maybe on a Honda/Acura with thin sheetmetal that's true, but not the GS. There are many members on this forum for that have been running full shaved with no issues for 5 + years. Just between me and one other local member, we have over 100k miles driven.

So get a belt sander and shave it all off ! !

Here’s the inner lip areas after everything was shaved smooth and then primered. This was followed by silver and then all but the last ½ inch by the lip was sprayed with rubberized undercoating.

Here’s what my set up looks like with about 1 to 2mm of clearance between the fender and tire, but I have Zero rub at any drop. If you roll the lip you WILL NOT get as much clearance as this set up since the thickness of the metal gives less clearance than shaving it off. I'm running 295 tires on 20x 11 rims, so this is pretty close to the limit without pulling or cambering. Since this discussion is ONLY about shaving options I won't go into those other options.

Hot damn!!
Old 02-04-11, 09:40 PM
1luvGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
If you Do A Search there are several threads talking about dimpleing when you roll. No One who rolls is going to guarantee you that they'll pay for a new paint job if the fender dimples or give you a 3 year warrantee that the paint won't crack. There's always some level of risk with rolling.
I did many searches, and I Do Know that rolling GS3 fenders is worst off than shaving. That is why I shaved my fenders, but even after they were shaved down I was still running into rubbing issues with my setup, so I decided to carefully roll that tiny bit of unshaved lip up in one area. THanks for the heads up though

BTW Your work looks amazing, what brand of rubber undercoating did you use?
Old 02-05-11, 12:29 AM
RMMGS4

I can't remember what brand I used. I did this mod a long time ago.

Just remember DO NOT get the undercoating that does not dry to the touch. That stuff is a sticky smelly mess. It's basically spray on tar.

Test it on another surface before trying on your car.
Old 03-28-11, 01:49 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

gonna use the video Glen posted in here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...good-work.html

and tony's DIY to do my fenders now so i can put my spacers on in the rear....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ear-shave.html

i see the suggestions in here but there seems to be mixed thoughts/feelings on the undercoating brand....anything people really recommend?
Old 03-28-11, 02:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Since my area doesnt snow. Im just gonna stick with touch up paint and thats it. Got a mix o paint and clear coat is good enough for me. If it works on rock chips i think it will do fine on it.
Old 03-28-11, 06:33 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I used primer, spray paint, touchup paint, 3m rubber undercoat spray. On fronts and rears, Making sure it's not gonna rust at all. I hope

Quick Reply: Preventing rust on shaved fender!?!