GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 03:23 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Murph
Sam, Sam, Sam...

You need to make your own decision. What feels better? Not just cornering or tooling around but the emotion. Drive each for 1/2 day and then decide. Asking total strangers on a bulletin board about how you should spend $35K is silly.

However, my $35K choice would be (and was) a low mileage CPO GS4. CPO gives warranty to 100K mles which is better than the new car one.

Good luck to you and your choices.

Murph
Yes, that would be better. Unless he wants to buy new. Otherwise, I would definetly get a used GS4 over a new GS3. The difference in power is amazing.
Old 08-16-02, 03:39 PM
jefe
Rookie

Originally posted by lex400sc

Bahahahaaa!!--No. As the graphic shows, Nissan is nowhere near Toyota. But we are comparing Lexus with Infiniti, and in that light the margin closes dramatically, but Lexus is still known to be the most reliable with the best service.
i take caution at reading any statistic on cars. jag in 3rd? ford above anything? the problem could be something very small on many case vs a large problem in less cases. IMO there is no single statistic that is a good indicator of reliability.

in my experience nissan has been great. family had a quest for 140k miles and still going fine. had maxima over 100k miles. my 300ZX went to 100k before i blew a piston. friend had an 84 turbo that he beat the hell out of that was at 150k+ miles and running fine. (i had a volvo turbo at 250k+ miles, but volvo is below average on said chart.)
Old 08-16-02, 03:43 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

I say, if you really like the G35, go with it. IMO, the G35 definately offers a lot of performance and luxury for the money. With that said, if I had to make a decision between the two, I would choose the GS300, here is why:

Although the G35 offers certain luxury features that the GS300 does not, the GS300 is still the the more luxurious car, IMO. Any car maker can up the ante on luxury features and hp, but I judge luxury on refinement and quality...I think the GS300 exceeds the G35 in those areas.

I do not particuarly like the styling of the G35, but if you do then that is not an issue.

I went to look at it when I saw it advertised as starting under $28k because I could not believe the car I had seen and read about in magazines could be selling at that price. I was even considering it as a potential replacement for my wife's 328i. But, once I saw it in person, it was easier for me to understand how it could be priced that low. Nothing wrong with the car...just nothing special. Keep in mind that I didn't test drive it.
Old 08-16-02, 03:47 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Toog4me

Yes, that would be better. Unless he wants to buy new. Otherwise, I would definetly get a used GS4 over a new GS3. The difference in power is amazing.
So would I
Old 08-16-02, 06:24 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Toog4me
How the hell did Jaguar step into number 3? Wow, that sure says nothing about JD Power.

JD Power doesnt mean **** to me when it comes to the G35 for that reason above.
Originally posted by jefe
i take caution at reading any statistic on cars. jag in 3rd? ford above anything? the problem could be something very small on many case vs a large problem in less cases. IMO there is no single statistic that is a good indicator of reliability.

in my experience nissan has been great. family had a quest for 140k miles and still going fine. had maxima over 100k miles. my 300ZX went to 100k before i blew a piston. friend had an 84 turbo that he beat the hell out of that was at 150k+ miles and running fine. (i had a volvo turbo at 250k+ miles, but volvo is below average on said chart.)

If you have a more thoroughly scientific benchmarking procedure on overall vehicle reliablity I'd like to hear it . Where are your figures on Jaguar? Ford? Nissan? What are your qualifications? Are you sure you both aren't reading too much into stereotypes of the past? It's easy enough to scoff at a scientific study, but make one yourself that is more accurate than your family's two or three personal accounts. Do these isolated cases have any bearing on a company's overall track record? Does your 1984 Nissan have anything to do with a 2003 Nissan? These studies are based off the last three years of the manufacturer's production vehicles, not your 20 year old relic. Regardless of the size of the problem, they all have to be taken in to the service department, diagnosed, and fixed while you wait. It doesn't matter if it's a snapped connecting rod or a fried dome light---all problems inconvenience the owner and by that measure alone that Toyota stands above Nissan. 100 extra problems per 100 vehicles is not something you can just pass off as margin of error. Let me guess Toog, your friend has a Jaguar and you know how much crappier it is than your other friend's Lincoln, your piano teacher's Porsche, your gardener's Cadillac, your Mercedes, and your mom's BMW? Enough with this devil's advocate crap, you can't argue against a study that involved more science and math than you'll ever know of.
Old 08-16-02, 07:00 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc

If you have a more thoroughly scientific benchmarking procedure on overall vehicle reliablity I'd like to hear it . Where are your figures on Jaguar? Ford? Nissan? What are your qualifications? Are you sure you both aren't reading too much into stereotypes of the past? It's easy enough to scoff at a scientific study, but make one yourself that is more accurate than your family's two or three personal accounts. Do these isolated cases have any bearing on a company's overall track record? Does your 1984 Nissan have anything to do with a 2003 Nissan? These studies are based off the last three years of the manufacturer's production vehicles, not your 20 year old relic. Regardless of the size of the problem, they all have to be taken in to the service department, diagnosed, and fixed while you wait. It doesn't matter if it's a snapped connecting rod or a fried dome light---all problems inconvenience the owner and by that measure alone that Toyota stands above Nissan. 100 extra problems per 100 vehicles is not something you can just pass off as margin of error. Let me guess Toog, your friend has a Jaguar and you know how much crappier it is than your other friend's Lincoln, your piano teacher's Porsche, your gardener's Cadillac, your Mercedes, and your mom's BMW? Enough with this devil's advocate crap, you can't argue against a study that involved more science and math than you'll ever know of.

My knowledge of Jaguar comes from the three friends who all own S-types. My friend Kele cannot park on a slant because if she does, the gears lock and the car stays in its current gear. So parking in her driveway means she will be stuck in park untill the tow guy shows up and moves the car for her.

Im not anti Infiniti. I like Inifiniti. I am saying this because people are putting it down for being low in the chain and I am saying that the G has not been out for long so Infiniti's "horrible" reputation should not be made for the G35.

Jaguar said this is a common problem and is not something that can really be fixed. They said it happens on all cars. NEVER HAPPENED ON MY CLK OR GS... did it happen to anyone here?

The G35 has been out for less than six months. We really dont know its major problems (if any). This is why I would not judge its reliability from JD Powers but from owners who have owned the car.

And like someone said, how do we know how severe theproblems were? A BMW 3-series may have had 300 problems, but all of those problems could have been a simple seatbelt pre-tensionsioner, when the 100 something problems with the Lexus could have been engine failure.

I have commented many times about my friends with the Jag and how ****ty they are. So its not something Im making up because i need to prove a point. Go dig up an old thread and youll see i was talking about the same thing. If you really dont believe me, go im her or ill have her call you.

Last edited by Toog4me; 08-17-02 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 07:09 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Get a 98 GS300 for $25000 and turbo it for another $4000. Tax title, etc it will be as much as the G35 but will kick the G35s butt in all aspects. Also the car will also have already depreciated a good amount.
Old 08-16-02, 09:38 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

I faced the same question & as many have alredy said I went w/the used GS400. I would take the G35 over a GS3. I really liked the G35 & if you have to buy new nothing can touch it performance wise for the $.
Old 08-16-02, 10:18 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Well, I'd love to get a GS430 but I'd want a 2001 Black/Black with Navigation and Mark Levinson. I think that would be hard to find considering we're still in the 2002 model year. I want to spend the least amount of money out of pocket now and the only way I can do that is to lease a new car with no money down. I could also lease a used car but I don't think the lease terms would be as favorable. I really like the extras in the GS300 Sports Design, especially if the car handles better than a regular GS300. That was only complaint about my 1999 GS300. I wanted a tighter suspension but I didn't want to modify a car that I was leasing. The majority of my driving is in NYC where I can't really enjoy the extra power of the GS430.

Murph, I understand your point about asking total strangers how to spend $35K but my decision is not going to based solely on what people say on here. I just wanted to hear opinions of some driving enthusiasts even though I expected most of them to be biased towards the Lexus. I was hoping some people would raise some points that I hadn't thought of and some people have. I've test driven a G35 but only for 10 minutes and the car handled great and it didn't even have the sports package with the tuned suspension. I'm actually going to test drive one with the sports package tomorrow. I don't think there is a way I can drive it for half a day to compare it to a GS300 (at least not here in NY).

The thing about the G35 that makes it handle better is there is less overhang, the wheelbase is 2 inches longer than a Lexus GS and the body is almost 3 inches shorter. That translates to almost 5 inches less in overhang.

To respond to a couple of other posts. Price wise, most car magazines will compare this car to an IS300, BMW330, etc. but if you look at the dimensions/specs that I listed in my original post, you'll see how it more closely compares to the GS.

As far as those luxury features that the G35 has that the GS300 doesn't have, I'd expect a car that's been out for 5 model years to have them, especially a Lexus which is supposed to have a very luxurious interior. I agree that they are not major things but when I looked at them as a whole, it made me take a closer look at the Infiniti.
Old 08-17-02, 12:50 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
As far as those luxury features that the G35 has that the GS300 doesn't have, I'd expect a car that's been out for 5 model years to have them, especially a Lexus which is supposed to have a very luxurious interior. I agree that they are not major things but when I looked at them as a whole, it made me take a closer look at the Infiniti.
Because the GS has been out for 5 model years is probably why it does not have those luxury features that you meantioned. The GS300 was built to compete with the BMW 528/530 and Mercedes 320...to my knowledge neither of those vehicles have reclining rear seats or in dash CD changers, in fact I think the bimmer still has it in the trunck.

As far as the stereo controls, I believe that Lexus originally decided not to put them on the GS3 because they were not on the GS4.... The GS4 had E-Shift and they did not want to have both on the steering wheel. Now that the GS3 has E-shift and the GS4 has stereo controls on the steering wheel.

I'm sure the next generation GS will most of the new luxury gagets that has been introduced over the past few years. Even entry level luxury sedan has a number of luxury items that the GS does not.

I still say that if you like the styling and is satisfied with the fit, finish and refinement of the G35, you should go for it. Just make sure you are buying it because it is the car you want...not because it is less expensive
Old 08-17-02, 03:58 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Sam Khoury- You say you’re looking to put as little out of pocket (zero down lease) or lease a used car, it sounds like money may be an issue. If that’s the case and the G is $10,000 cheaper, for a brand new car, maybe that will best fit you right now. OR buy a nice used car and wait 12-18 months to see if your money situation is better, you won't be stuck in a lease so you could sell it and buy what you really want.
Old 08-17-02, 07:30 AM
LexFather

Pros-Quick and fast, performance parts will be avail. Cheap, can be bought for 30k with leather and sunroof. Handles real well. Decent ride. It is "new". Infiniti makes relaible cars, dealer service is also one of the best.
Cons-If you want a car that shares it's platform with the 350-Z, shares it's engine with every single car and truck in Nissan's lineup (almost), has it's controls on the wrong side of the dash due to cost cutting, has a hood prop, has a simply cheap interior for a LUXURY car. Looks like an electric car IMO.

Fact, the GS ANYTHING and G35 are in different classes. If you can't sit inside and drive and tell the difference, you are not objective at all.

Sit in ANY 28-35k Entry-level luxurycar and sit in a 45-55k luxurycar, HUGE difference in quality and feel.

Want a nice car with cheaper payments, get a G35. Want A CAR that will feel like it is worth it, get the GS.

How u go from a M3 to a GS 430 to a G35 ?
Old 08-17-02, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Sam, sounds like you can't afford any of these cars if you're only talking about leasing and are even :eek: considering leasing a used car.

If it's leased (another marketing bs euphemism for RENTED) then you'll have to back out any mods you might do and since you've stressed a couple of times that handling is important to you I'd get the G35. Its handling is probably tons better than a stock GS300. The interior isn't as nice aesthetically though - you have to choose which is more important to you.

But getting back to my first point, if money's that tight, I'm not sure I'd be looking at all. Do you NEED a new car?
Old 08-17-02, 09:00 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

If I were shopping the $30-35K sport sedan segment right now, the upcoming G35 w/6-speed manual would probably get my money. The look of the car has really grown on me, though I'm still not entirely sold on the interior. I've driven the auto version, and it handles and performs very well, has more interior space than you'd think, and is pretty well equipped for the price. I'm sure with a 6M it'll be quite a fun car to drive.

Also, since it shares its chassis and engine with the 350Z, G35 coupe, etc., you have to imagine that there'll be a great aftermarket for it, especially through NISMO where your warranty won't be compromised.

Having said that, I obviously wouldn't trade my GS430 for one, but we're talking about substantially different price points between those two cars...

Last edited by SCWells72; 08-17-02 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-17-02, 09:25 AM
ferizzo
Driver School Candidate

Ah, just get the TLS! Great car for under 33K.

Seriously though, if you have the money I would get a used GS4. G35 is a pretty good car for the money but I agree with most that the GS is just more luxurious (as it should be for 10-20k more)! Can't go wrong with either the g35 or the GS.

Quick Reply: Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?