GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 09:04 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?

I saw the thread on the GS430 versus the M3 so I figured I start another thread and get a debate going on a GS300 versus an Infiniti G35. I'm already leanings towards a GS300 Sports Design with Nav and Mark Levinson if my dealer can get one because he's giving me the best deal. No other dealers have beat him even when I told them the price.

I have never liked the styling on any of the Infinitis before but when I saw the G35, I actually liked it. My only complaint is that they put single exhaust on the G35 but the Altima with the same 3.5 liter engine comes with dual exhaust. How can you put that in the Nissan and not the Infiniti?

Some people might say that these cars are in 2 different classes but they really aren't when you start to compare the details.

GS300 G35 Difference
Length: 189.2 in. 186.5 in. 2.7 in.
Width: 70.9 in. 69 in 1.9 in.
Height: 55.9 in. 57.7 in. –1.8 in.
Weight: 3649 lbs. 3369 lbs. 280 lbs.
Wheel Base: 110.2 in. 112.2 in. –2.0 in.
Luggage Cap: 14.8 cu. ft. 14.5 cu. ft. 0.3 cu
Horsepower: 220 hp 260 hp -40 hp
Torque: 220 ft-lbs. 260 ft-lbs. –40 ft-lbs.
Drive Type: RWD RWD
Fuel Tank: 19.8 gal. 20 gal.
EPA Mileage(City/Hwy): 18/25 mpg 19/24 mpg
Approx retail price
w/ similar equipment: $46345 $36,685

The prices I have are for the 2002 GS300 and 2003 G35. In terms of the price I tried to make them as similarly equiped as possible (i.e. navigation, high end stereo, luxury equipment, etc). I included every option on the G35 except all the different aero packages. The price of the GS300 was a Sports Design with Navigation and Mark Levinson plus the heated seats. I did not include the destination charge in either one.

For $10,000 less it's hard not to make an argument the G35 so I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

If any of you read the Augut issue of Motor Trend, it said that the G35 beat the 330i and the 330is in the slalom. That impressed me.

Looking forward to everybody's comments.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 08-16-02 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-16-02, 09:08 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

OK, the message board didn't want to accomodate my font and spacing for the table so that the information would line up nicely for everybody to read but that didn't happen.
Old 08-16-02, 09:13 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

GS300! it's a lot more reliable and it doesn't fall in price especially like all infiniti do.. so it's better invesment too
Old 08-16-02, 09:23 AM
Jmill427
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driven both

I've driven both fairly extensively, although i have the GS400.

G35 - great car. Still get's lots of looks, not many of them on the street.
It is definately a fun car to drive, very quick and handles very well.
My favorite part of the car is the tranny, it is the smoothest downshift I have ever felt, and very very responsive.
It seems to be a bit noisier in terms of the motor, but not a good throaty feel.
I'm sure the resale will be much less than the lexus.
The car has yet to be in the shop for its first 5 months.

GS400 - definately much quiter, more isolate, plenty of HP but the car feels much heavier. I like the styling and interior of the Lexus much better. Plus reliabilty is extremely high.

You put them in closer classes because of the stats.
I put them in different classes because the Lexus is more quiet, smooth, relaxing, almost lazy power - a true luxury car.
The Infiniti is louder, more responsive, lighter more of a sports car.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-16-02, 09:31 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Alexus, I agree the Lexus is more reliable and you're probably right about the loss of value with most Infinitis but you'll be shocked with this one. When I priced out 39 month leases for both of these cars, the residual percentage on a Lexus with Navigation was 53% and 55% without Nav meaning that in the lease you're paying for 47% of a car with Nav and 45% without Nav . Those numbers were from Lexus Financial Services and for some reason they think cars with Navigation depreciate more. The residual percentage on the G35 was .57 with Chase bank so they believe that the car will hold it's value but it's probably too early to tell since it's a new model.
The following users liked this post:
Pizzasteve (06-21-19)
Old 08-16-02, 09:59 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

I think the G35 compares very favorably to the GS300. Although Lexus is outstanding for reliability, infinity is as good or better in all classes (check Consumer Reports, April) so that's a toss-up. Performance wise, the G35 will outperform a GS300, period. I like the Lerxus styling better, less common, looks bigger. Also the G35 will be mistaken for an Altima, while the GS is distinctive and graceful IMO, and won't be mistaken for a cheaper car. Converesely, it will be mistaken for the GS430, a true luxury/performance car. The Lexus interior is more luxurious, but the G35 has reclining seat backs all around. Bottom line, if you want top performance at a really good value, go for the Infiniti. If you want style, luxury, and distinction with very good performance and cost is not of prime importance, get the Lexus. Note: for $43k you can get a "loaded" 2001 GS430 like new with low miles, IMO a better buy than a new G35 or GS300. For $34k to $38kyou can get a clean low-mileage 1999-2000 platinum edition GS400. Tough choice -- good luck!
Old 08-16-02, 10:23 AM
robbsneak
Pole Position

Arrow Look here now..

When you roll up to some beezies house,.. what would you rather step out of?, A lexus or an infinity? Your answer should be lexus.!! Thats says PIMPED OUT way more than stupid ol' infinity!!. And most importantly, after your frustrated with yourself cause ya didnt get the lex,.. you can look forward to that infinity dropping the F out of its value.!
Nobody wants that used g35 any more!,..lol,.. not even the dealer!,..

Dont settle for 2nd best playa
Be #1
Now get down to that lexo dealer and become a brother.

...........robb s.
Old 08-16-02, 10:29 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Get the GS3 and make it TT! That would be the sweetness....
Old 08-16-02, 10:36 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Well I hope your not basing your buying decision on what people think when you step out of your car. I don't think Nissan\Infinity compare to Lexus in terms of quality of reliability, but that also comes with a higher price tag. Both are nice car's. I think your getting more car in the Lexus, along with 10k more in price, if you can afford the Lexus, I would really think about it.
Old 08-16-02, 12:53 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Well a couple of things that I didn't mention in terms of luxury features that the G35 has that the GS300 doesn't have. One was already mentioned.

1) Reclining rear seats.
2) In dash CD changer (not a cartridge in the glove compartment like Lexus).
3) Radio controls on the steering wheel (Lexus only offers it in the GS430).

That's a thing that annoyed me about Lexus. When they switched from the Nakimichi (spelling?) to the Mark Levinson in the 2001 model year, I though they would have redesigned the dash to make the CD changer a single feed thru the dash like many other cars including the IS300, G35, etc.

Considering that many luxury and non-luxury cars have the radio controls on the steering wheel including many direct competitors to the GS like BMW 5 series, I would have thought that Lexus would have put that in the car when it was introduced in 1998.
Old 08-16-02, 01:42 PM
jefe
Rookie

id rather have the G35 because of performance. i dont see anything wrong with stepping out of an infiniti. reliability with nissan is about as good as toyota.
Old 08-16-02, 02:07 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jefe
reliability with nissan is about as good as toyota.

Bahahahaaa!!--No. As the graphic shows, Nissan is nowhere near Toyota. But we are comparing Lexus with Infiniti, and in that light the margin closes dramatically, but Lexus is still known to be the most reliable with the best service. I like the GS300 styling way better than the G35. The G35 looks like a boxy, unstable version of the 350Z. As far as the luxury aspects you pointed out, those are small little details, nothing to base a car purchasing decision on. Cartridge in the glove box as opposed to dash-fed, I can live with that. No audio controls on the steering wheel, no biggy. Don't hte GS300s have the sport shifter on the steering wheel anyway? Reclining rear seats, you never sit in the back seat and your passengers didn't pay for the car, so you really don't need that for anything more than wow-factor. If you like wow-factor, the GS300's bodystyle will get you more wow than the G35 (IMO). I'll admit the G35's price is a reaaal bargain, but if you can afford both, I'd buy whatever you'd enjoy driving more.
Attached Thumbnails Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?-1.jpg.gif  

Last edited by lex400sc; 08-16-02 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 02:38 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

How the hell did Jaguar step into number 3? Wow, that sure says nothing about JD Power.

Anyways- Speed is an issue for me, im not sure about you. While the GS300 is a healthy accelerator, it is no fun to drive compared to the G35. Its is definetly more luxuriouse though. The rear seats are a cool thing to though. They are also heated. That's a plus.

If you ever plan on selling the car again, dont get the Infiniti. They loose their value so quickly, its not even funny. You can now get a 96' Q45, which was their flaqship car, for under 10k. Try finding a 96' LS for under 12k and Ill give you a dougnut.

As far as reliability, The GS has been out for longer than the G35 so it may take a while for us to really know how the G is. JD Power doesnt mean **** to me when it comes to the G35 for that reason above. For 35k, you can get a fully loaded G35 with NAV and autoleveling HIDs. Thats a friggin bargain! But if you got the fully loaded GS, i would say get that instead.
Old 08-16-02, 03:12 PM
LexusL
Rookie

I think the g35 is a better match up with the IS300 instead of the GS300....
Old 08-16-02, 03:18 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Sam, Sam, Sam...

You need to make your own decision. What feels better? Not just cornering or tooling around but the emotion. Drive each for 1/2 day and then decide. Asking total strangers on a bulletin board about how you should spend $35K is silly.

However, my $35K choice would be (and was) a low mileage CPO GS4. CPO gives warranty to 100K mles which is better than the new car one.

Good luck to you and your choices.

Murph

Quick Reply: Need opinions, GS300 or Infiniti G35?