GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 04:27 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation not quite sure

hmm interesting...a while back few cl guys had a discussion about the wood kit that is sold at the above link..basically the kit is for right hand drive aristo/GS in japan....

btw, while few cl guys had decent transaction thru the above link in the past(last yr?), word on the street in the past few months pertaining above vendor is not very positive...just be careful....
Old 08-27-02, 04:54 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

William,
I know what you mean. It took 2 months for me to get it and the part was in stock ! They apologized because Hiro was out of town, so they shipped it to me free. They sound like a family operation, since there was no one covering for him while he was out.

They used to sell the right hand drive center console, which of course won't fit properly on US cars. They stopped selling it for that reason and probably because they got some complaints.

I tried Steve G. but he was still waiting to hear back from Japan. I'll probably order the center console from him though.

Glen

Old 08-27-02, 10:29 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I'd be interested in a group buy for the black walnut steering wheel, depending on the price of course. Do you know what the approximate price would be? And are their any airbag, cruise control or sportsshift issues with replacing the steering wheel?
Old 08-27-02, 10:36 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it cost $975 to have it made here http://www.rau-autowood.com/gs400.htm here is a picture of just some of there colors they can make a wood color you need
Attached Thumbnails For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?-cylander_page_copy.jpg  
Old 08-27-02, 11:32 AM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

Lord, could you imaging that red or green wood in a car? Hideous....
Old 08-27-02, 01:26 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The group buy is going on as we speak. GO TO: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=49805

You'll have to read the whole thread, because the questions you have were probably answered in the 2 months this has been going on.

The price is hovering around $400 depending on what steering wheel you have and the options you choose.

I heard people were dropping out since it was taking too long to get 12+ people to get their wheels done. This is also because a lot of people needed loaner wheels, so the wheels could not get done all at once.

The prices may have to go up because of it.

On the plus side, we may still be able to get in on this deal since the group buy has not been offically closed yet and we may contribute to keeping the prices down if there's still enough of us interested.

Just got an e-mail from American Stitches. They are waiting for materials to come in and they said to check back in a week if they don't get back to me before then. Once they do their matching, they'll send me a photo to approve the pattern and then I would send in my old wheel to get modified.
Old 09-01-02, 03:15 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I spoke to Konstantine over at AAA Exotic Wood and he was very helpful. He told me to email him my address so that he could send me a sample of the black walnut. I received it and it doesn't match that close. The pattern is correct but it's more gray than black when it should be the other way around. I'm going to talk to them to see if they can match it better. I'm also going to call Exotic Wood Dash and see if they can send me a sample of their kit. I'm also going to call a few others that I've found on the web to see if they can make it in a black walnut. I'll keep everybody up to date on what I find.
Old 09-01-02, 06:11 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Cool... Keep me posted....
Old 09-05-02, 10:53 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I need the opinions of people who have a GS300 Sports Design. How close do you think this black wood grain finish matches the one in the Sports Design?

I'm going to call this company to request a sample to be mailed to me.
Old 09-05-02, 05:34 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

From off hand, I don't think it matches...
Old 09-05-02, 06:47 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Well, here's an update. I've got a bunch of samples coming in the mail from different places. I'll take pics of them and post them up. I also spoke to Constantine again at AAA Exotic Wood. When I told him that his sample didn't match too good and tha it was a little light, he told me that they could make it darker. I guess I have to see the other samples before I make my decision.
Old 09-06-02, 12:13 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, let me know... Ask them if we could get a deal if we buy more than one kit... I don't know about other guys, but I'll do it with you... And I'm dependable... Some guys here just talk alot and come through...

Last edited by MrSypher; 09-06-02 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-07-02, 02:17 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Here is a pic of the sample of the black walnut from AAA Exotic Wood.
Attached Thumbnails For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?-aaa_exotic_wood_sample.jpg  
Old 09-07-02, 02:22 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Here is a pic of the black walnut from my interior. My interior is black but everything in the pic looks more grey than it really is. You can use it to compare to the sample above.
Attached Thumbnails For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?-black_walnut_stock_trim_1.jpg  

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 09-07-02 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-07-02, 02:26 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Here's one more pic of the wood on the door.
Attached Thumbnails For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?-black_walnut_stock_trim_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: For the GS300 Sports Design, is there a black walnut wood trim kit available?