GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

-Noob introduction/questions-

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 11:53 AM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -Noob introduction/questions-

Well just thought I'd create a intro thread to get my foot in the door with you guys. Just picked up an '03 black on black GS300 with 82,500 miles from a reputable Mercedes Benz dealer who I was referred to because a friend of mine knew the sales manager for the used/CPO vehicle department. Car is pretty damn mint inside and out and was able to get the vehicle for $12,600 OTD, I thought that was a pretty great price considering it went through all the inspections and necessary cleaning/detailing/maintenance plus the fee's. I'm pretty stoked about the car minus the door lock actuator issue which I know is a common problem cause a buddy of mine works at a local Lexus dealer. I've been in the automotive industry for well over six years now so I'm well informed with just about everything except a few things.

I just had a few questions and yes keep in mind I tried the search option a few times already... Just wanted to know if anyone in this section of the forums knows at the top of their heads what are the sizes of all the interior light bulbs? I've used the Sylvania site as a reference but I don't know how 100% accurate it is http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm. Also I plan on getting air runners later on but paying that $12,600 took a good chunk out of my savings so what are some good/decent brand coilovers that don't ride so stiff? And also with coilovers how big/wide of rims/tires can I go without any clearance/rubbing issues?

Last edited by Cboy1; 02-09-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-07-11, 12:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

not sure what u searched under then....even though this is in the lighting section MANY threads link over to it so dunno how it couldn't be found IF u searched

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...-pictures.html

welcome to the club,IMHO you overpayed for that GS especially the gs300, nice color options though
Old 02-07-11, 12:14 PM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
not sure what u searched under then....even though this is in the lighting section MANY threads link over to it so dunno how it couldn't be found IF u searched

welcome to the club,IMHO you overpayed for that GS especially the gs300, nice color options though
Well I searched the 2nd gen GS section of the forums, and typed in like LED interior lights etc. Maybe the search wasn't thorough enough but I tried three different options of searching nothing conclusive came out. Really cause I talked to a lot of people in the industry and was told it was a good price. Keep in mind I got the actual car for $11,300 but with all the taxes/DMV fee's it came out to an even $12,600 plus I don't where you live but pricing all depends on the city/state you live in. KBB priced out my vehicle at $12,700 and NADA was $14,500. Keep in mind this dealership went ahead and did the interior shampooing/vacuuming and all the minor maintenance with the car having only one original owner.
Old 02-07-11, 12:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cboy1
Well I searched the 2nd gen GS section of the forums, and typed in like LED interior lights etc. Maybe the search wasn't thorough enough but I tried three different options of searching nothing conclusive came out. Really cause I talked to a lot of people in the industry and was told it was a good price. Keep in mind I got the actual car for $11,300 but with all the taxes/DMV fee's it came out to an even $12,600 plus I don't where you live but pricing all depends on the city/state you live in. KBB priced out my vehicle at $12,700 and NADA was $14,500. Keep in mind this dealership went ahead and did the interior shampooing/vacuuming and all the minor maintenance with the car having only one original owner.
as i said MANY posts in the 2nd gen gs section LINKED over to that so it shouldnt have been hard to find. no matter though, now you got it

thats why i said IMHO you over payed...many people may not share my thought but you could get a gs430 for close to that price just might have to shop around for a minute. if your happy with it and all the maintenance is up to date thats cool but IMHO its to much for a gs300

how bout some pics?
Old 02-07-11, 01:38 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a BLACK ON BLACK 1 OWNER WITH 80K. $11,000 seems fair to pay for a desirable color combo with ridiculous low miles. Sure you can find a GS430, that combo and miles? Not really.

Congrats, post some pics for us.
Old 02-07-11, 01:48 PM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Its a BLACK ON BLACK 1 OWNER WITH 80K. $11,000 seems fair to pay for a desirable color combo with ridiculous low miles. Sure you can find a GS430, that combo and miles? Not really.

Congrats, post some pics for us.
$11,300 but yeah I thought it was a steal of a deal considering that the dealer had ALL the service records from the previous owner. Being that I'm somwhat of a car expert or even if I wasn't you could totally tell the previous owner took really damn good care of the car. To Sakataj I tried to find a GS430 but I wouldn't have gotten one for the price I paid cause the ones I saw were $1,500-2,000+ more considering the condition and miles. I'll post pics tomorrow when my iPhone comes in the mail, cause I can't find my damn digicam. I'll let you guys be the judge on the quality of the car.
Old 02-07-11, 02:00 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my own car dealership. Been in this business 8 years. That GS of yours at the auction will bring it $10,000 here in Denver.
Old 02-07-11, 02:02 PM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

I have my own car dealership. Been in this business 8 years. That GS of yours at the auction will bring it $10,000 here in Denver.
Oh wow... See it's good to know what you know what you're talking about.
Old 02-07-11, 02:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Sure you can find a GS430, that combo and miles? Not really.
yes for close to that price u can....just have to shop around

Sakataj I tried to find a GS430 but I wouldn't have gotten one for the price I paid cause the ones I saw were $1,500-2,000+ more considering the condition and miles.
SIGH this is why i said you could get one close to that price....1.5-2k is close to that price. honestly i couldnt ever own a gs300 unless it was swapped.... IMHO they are a turd and the 1.5-2k is a great price for the power/torque of V8 model.

i have said it once but AGAIN if your happy with it and all the maintenance is up to date thats cool but IMHO its to much for a gs300
Old 02-07-11, 02:17 PM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

SIGH this is why i said you could get one close to that price....1.5-2k is close to that price. honestly i couldnt ever own a gs300 unless it was swapped.... IMHO they are a turd and the 1.5-2k is a great price for the power/torque of V8 model.

i have said it once but AGAIN if your happy with it and all the maintenance is up to date thats cool but IMHO its to much for a gs300
Ahhh see I do get where you're coming from it's your opinion no doubt... Honestly I could care less if it's a V8 or a straight 6, cause later on I'm going to upgrade to an LS430 or 460 depending on what kinda deal I can get not because oh it's a V8 and it makes more "power/torque." Honestly if you were looking at the performance aspect of Lexus's then you obviously got the wrong Lexus... Cause your GS430 V8 is turd compared to an ISF then or perhaps be one of the very few to own an LFA, but we all gotta start somewhere right? Besides I got this GS for it's comfort and practicality and not to forget that I have a 160whp/81lbs of tq CBR1000RR that fufills my need for speed.

This is all of course IMHO.
Old 02-07-11, 02:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Ahhh see I do get where you're coming from it's your opinion no doubt... Honestly I could care less if it's a V8 or a straight 6, cause later on I'm going to upgrade to an LS430 or 460 depending on what kinda deal I can get not because oh it's a V8 and it makes more "power/torque." Honestly if you were looking at the performance aspect of Lexus's then you obviously got the wrong Lexus... Cause your GS430 V8 is turd compared to an ISF then or perhaps be one of the very few to own an LFA, but we all gotta start somewhere right? Besides I got this GS for it's comfort and practicality and not to forget that I have a 160whp/81lbs of tq CBR1000RR that fufills my need for speed.

This is all of course IMHO.
yeah u missed my whole point....i wasnt going for the fastest lexus ever just the BETTER gs model. BTW the IS-F wasnt out when i bought my gs....not to mention i cant afford that NOR a LFA. my point in a nutshell was i also got a gs for comfort/practicality AND some power when i test drove the gs300 i was majorly disappointed.

BTW i know about the need for speed i have previously owned a, 95 katana with a 1200 bandit motor in it, a zx6rr, a 98 SRAD 750 gsxr, a turbocharged k4 gsx-r 1000 and currently have 2 k5 gsx-r 1000's one of which will be sold soon.

anyways dont worry about it this is dragging way off topic and becoming something else all together
Old 02-07-11, 02:46 PM
Cboy1
Driver School Candidate

anyways dont worry about it this is dragging way off topic and becoming something else all together
Gotcha... Like I said I don't need that extra two cylinders to make me feel better when I sleep at night. I've had my share of fast cars and if I really wanted extra power I hear these motors are fun to boost.
Old 02-07-11, 03:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Jeez Brian, let the man enjoy his car!

Need some pics though!
Old 02-07-11, 03:51 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Must you argue with EVERY new member who comes on here? Latey 99% of your responses start with ............................. If you searched blah blah blah..............

Whatever happened to WELCOME and NICE TO HAVE YOU ON HERE? Or if you don't have anything nice to say try one of these

To OP Welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 02-07-11, 05:54 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by puff
Must you argue with EVERY new member who comes on here? Latey 99% of your responses start with ............................. If you searched blah blah blah..............

Whatever happened to WELCOME and NICE TO HAVE YOU ON HERE? Or if you don't have anything nice to say try one of these

To OP Welcome to Club Lexus.
Lol, I agree, but hey, I'ts in his honest opinion.

Welcome to the club and it looks like you got a decent deal with a rare color combo. To some people it isn't about speed. Post pic soon

Quick Reply: -Noob introduction/questions-