GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aux Input Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 09:46 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Input Problems

Well, I did puredrifter's aux input mod in my 98 GS300, but I've been having problems with it. I also posted in his DIY thread but it doesn't get many responses/views:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6140000-post568.html

So I'm wondering if anyone could help here. The relays cause the signal to switch the CD output off so the aux input can play, but I'm getting no sound at all. I get sound from the CD player when I have the aux input off via the manual switch, so my speaker wire for my relays is wired correctly.

The second I flip the switch the sound from the CD changer stops and the sound from the aux input is supposed to start playing... but I get nothing. Theres a pic of my setup in the link above.

Anyone know if I'm supposed to be getting voltage at the ground wire when it's not grounded by the switch? I'm getting 12v at the power wire, which is normal, AND the ground wire, when I have the aux input switched off. Not sure if I'm forgetting basic concepts of electricity. Supposedly, completing the circuit with the switch should cause the relays to switch input to aux, which SEEMS to be happening because the CD changer sound output stops...but nada, no sound.
Old 02-12-11, 10:19 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

to be honest i had the same issue and just said f*** it i rip out the relay and wire the rca to the cd output and i have never look back i state this on another tread and the only two small issue i have is that if i play a mp3 it would be heard even when i have it on FM and second is to turn it off before hand , but other than that i dont really see the big issue and i have my bluetooth and gps and my Ham radio going threw like this and i have zero issue once again... good luck
Old 02-12-11, 01:41 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by neojungle1
to be honest i had the same issue and just said f*** it i rip out the relay and wire the rca to the cd output and i have never look back i state this on another tread and the only two small issue i have is that if i play a mp3 it would be heard even when i have it on FM and second is to turn it off before hand , but other than that i dont really see the big issue and i have my bluetooth and gps and my Ham radio going threw like this and i have zero issue once again... good luck

Did you disconnect the CD changer or did you just wire directly into the harness between the changer and the amp without the relays?
Old 02-12-11, 03:23 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Nah its still connected I use
The harness from the cd changer
Which is smaller and everthing
You need to connect to is there
Old 02-12-11, 10:42 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Went back to trying to figure out why the relays aren't switching the signal. I'm just not hearing them click. If I take one of the RCA wires and touch it to one of the speaker pins on the relay manually, I get both the CD and AUX sounds jumbled together, so I know the CD output is wired correctly on the relays. This has to be a power or relay problem then.

The relays must be defective, but it's a little weird that all four would be bad...maybe they're just not being activated because of a lack of voltage?

I can just BARELY hear the music from the AUX input if I leave it as it should be, but only on max volume.
Old 02-13-11, 12:02 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Forget that post. I just got it working after having spent a total of about eight hours on this project! The electrical diagram I was using was from Alldata and it was all screwed up so I had reversed polarity in a few places. Sounds great and I now have a working aux input and CD changer.