GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 05:38 AM
GS1day
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I thought, but I didnt' want to hear - but thanks for the honesty - do you think if I could match up the oring and find one like it, then I could get another 100K out of them? I would like this to get fixed sooner than later, but if I can save $560 on parts and time to ship them, etc, then it may be all I need.
Old 02-16-11, 06:00 AM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inner wear ring is fairly large not sure you are gonna find it, but if you can down the car for awhile and pull the cam gear apart and do some R&D maybe you will find something that works. I heard tell in previous posts the cam gears run around $160 for the VVTI gear. Maybe you could do a little wrenching and save the $ at that. GL to both of ya in this thread.
Old 02-16-11, 05:57 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I just had the gear replaced on my gs 300. I thought about resealing it also but decided to buy a new one. The o-ring is a 2 piece design I believe. I think it's designed to allow the oil pressure to help the gear move to adjust the timing.
Old 02-15-12, 05:31 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Does anyone have the part number or a good source or brand of which part to get?
Old 02-15-12, 09:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick03L
Think I got it. Cam seals will show behind the belt running down the Front side of the heads and block.
VVTI inner seal will puddle up on the inside of outer gear and I know what leaky valve covers look like.

What pisses me off is they did timing belt and water pump at the 90,000 mile service. It has 110,000 on it now. Figured they may of saw something. Owell.
yeah you have to make sure that they changed it or they won't. It's best to change it even if it isn't leaking due to labor. The local Toyota dealer quoted me $760 for only replacing TB, WP, Serp Belt, and fluid change (no cam or crank seals replacement). Then there is a local Lexus Independent shop that quoted me $960 to replace cam/crank seals, TB, WP, Serp belt, fluid change, cabin & air filter, and full brake fluid replacement...basically everything listed under the 90k replacement. Since my WP isn't leaking and my Serp belt has less than 5k on it, I will tell them to put my old WP and serp belt in a box and I will keep them. No way I'm going to allow them to keep a good WP and serp belt lol.

They also carry a 24 month warranty on parts/labor which is unheard of. Needless to say I'm going with the $960 price just for piece of mind since they work on GS all the time. After reading that Toyota 90K replacement thread....I'm going to stay away.
Old 02-15-12, 04:49 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Do you have any burning oil smell?

Just wondering if you have any oil burning smell coming into the cabin when stop at the traffic light? Outside air mode is on and slow fan speed is on too by the way. I have no visible oil leak, except for the rear main seal. That doesn't come in contact with the exhaust or manifold, but I have this oil burning smell. The car is at 98K miles
Old 02-15-12, 05:01 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS714
Just wondering if you have any oil burning smell coming into the cabin when stop at the traffic light? Outside air mode is on and slow fan speed is on too by the way. I have no visible oil leak, except for the rear main seal. That doesn't come in contact with the exhaust or manifold, but I have this oil burning smell. The car is at 98K miles
Check the downpipe its still partly near the block and the oil maybe traveling...for those that have oil leaking from valve gasket as a temp fix try to see if you can retighting the valve cover on my maximal she was bleeding up a storm in one spark plug after retighting the cover she lasted another two yr without a problem
Old 02-15-12, 07:07 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default That is what I was quoted too

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
yeah you have to make sure that they changed it or they won't. It's best to change it even if it isn't leaking due to labor. The local Toyota dealer quoted me $760 for only replacing TB, WP, Serp Belt, and fluid change (no cam or crank seals replacement). Then there is a local Lexus Independent shop that quoted me $960 to replace cam/crank seals, TB, WP, Serp belt, fluid change, cabin & air filter, and full brake fluid replacement...basically everything listed under the 90k replacement. Since my WP isn't leaking and my Serp belt has less than 5k on it, I will tell them to put my old WP and serp belt in a box and I will keep them. No way I'm going to allow them to keep a good WP and serp belt lol.

They also carry a 24 month warranty on parts/labor which is unheard of. Needless to say I'm going with the $960 price just for piece of mind since they work on GS all the time. After reading that Toyota 90K replacement thread....I'm going to stay away.
I was quote for a similar price range around Orange County area. Westminster, Garden Grove, Midway City. LOL. I asked them all. . Maybe I should wait till 125K to get the 90K factory recommended service interval.
Old 02-16-12, 08:01 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Does anyone have the part number or know a good source or brand of which vvti cam gear to get?
Old 02-16-12, 12:13 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I was quote for a similar price range around Orange County area. Westminster, Garden Grove, Midway City. LOL. I asked them all. . Maybe I should wait till 125K to get the 90K factory recommended service interval.
where are you at mileage wise? I'm at 100k and I don't plan on doing this job until the summer comes. I've read multiple threads where people have changed them at 150-160k and the belt still looks good. That's actually what a Lexus tech told me myself that's the mileage to think about changing it. 90k is oversold...
Old 02-16-12, 04:59 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default The mileage is at 97K miles rite now

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
where are you at mileage wise? I'm at 100k and I don't plan on doing this job until the summer comes. I've read multiple threads where people have changed them at 150-160k and the belt still looks good. That's actually what a Lexus tech told me myself that's the mileage to think about changing it. 90k is oversold...
I have a friend who is a used car dealer have a 2001 GS300. And he told me not to worry to much about it. He have saw lots and lots of Japanese car engine. His wife been driving the car for years and it got around 150K miles. He hasn't done the T/B yet. Three out of four Lexus/Toyota shop I talked with just asked me" Why do you want to replace the Water/P if it doesn't broke. One guy actually told me, most of the time " THEY ONLY DO HALF A JOB ON THE WATER PUMP" (My Jaw just dropped and look really confused). The timing belt at 100K is a security deposit he said, the mechanic. I am thinking just replacing the T/B, cam seals, crank seal valve cover gasket and flushing all the fuilds. I meant all fluid and major tune up. Just don't forget, The GS 300 have an INTERFERENCE ENGINE. something valve can bend if timing belt headed south.

Last edited by GS714; 02-16-12 at 05:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-18-12, 09:39 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Default I don't you should skim on this particular part

Originally Posted by handzilla
Does anyone have the part number or know a good source or brand of which vvti cam gear to get?
Here is the link
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S300-2001.html
Old 02-20-12, 07:24 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Thanks man! Anything else I should consider replacing while I have them do this? I already did timing belt water pump, o-ring, and cam seals back in June.
Old 02-23-12, 09:31 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Oops Pardon me for the late reply

Originally Posted by handzilla
Thanks man! Anything else I should consider replacing while I have them do this? I already did timing belt water pump, o-ring, and cam seals back in June.
I am new to the GS myself. I am learning still.
Old 02-23-12, 09:51 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a friend who is a used car dealer have a 2001 GS300. And he told me not to worry to much about it. He have saw lots and lots of Japanese car engine. His wife been driving the car for years and it got around 150K miles. He hasn't done the T/B yet. Three out of four Lexus/Toyota shop I talked with just asked me" Why do you want to replace the Water/P if it doesn't broke. One guy actually told me, most of the time " THEY ONLY DO HALF A JOB ON THE WATER PUMP" (My Jaw just dropped and look really confused). The timing belt at 100K is a security deposit he said, the mechanic. I am thinking just replacing the T/B, cam seals, crank seal valve cover gasket and flushing all the fuilds. I meant all fluid and major tune up. Just don't forget, The GS 300 have an INTERFERENCE ENGINE. something valve can bend if timing belt headed south.
Not very good advice. On my Toyota Avalon my water pump froze up and then my timing belt ripped to shreds. All this happened within a few minutes from each other (the strain of the non rotating water pump made the timing belt fail) luckily the Avalon is a non interference engine but if this would have been a gs I would be redoing the heads and who knows what else. Now ask yourself, is this really worth not changing a $50 dollar water pump when you are changing your timing belt. Penny wise and pound foolish is what not changing the water pump would be!

Quick Reply: Oil leaks