GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Price No Object....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-01, 06:09 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a 2000 GS 400 leftover (100 miles on it) for a sweet deal. Looking to go absolutely nuts on it over the next 12 months.

Stereo (ZAPCO, FOCAL, ILLUSION, and custom made black boxes) wheels (18" Mille Miglia Evo), tires (245 40 & 275 35 18, PP SO2), suspension (Eibach, KYB, sway bars abd strut bar) & brake mods (RMM) have all been chosen but the engine/trans has me perplexed. I am very familiar with and comfortable working on Japanese turbo cars (had a bad a$$ 89 Supra that went 10's in the 1/4) but I wouldn't apply the same school of thought to this vehicle.

I want to go fast, stay normally aspirated, maintain driveability and make any mods w/ exception of intake and exhaust virtually invisible to the naked eye (especially to the guys at the dealership). Also, I would take parts on and off (if need be) to maintain warranty. I am not adverse to going into the motor if need be but wouldn't look at it as the 1st course of action (unless we are going to clean up the heads, etc etc)

Also, thinking of mild exterior mods, just RMM grill and spoiler (or shouldn't I bother). I like the kits available but I think that they may offer too much style for my liking. Any suggestions? BTW, pearl white exterior, ivory interior, platinum series...

Any suggestions appreciated, regardless of cost.

Also, if any of you ever want to discuss stereos, I have been an IASCA member for 10 year, judge for 7 years and placed 2nd at the 1999 world finals. Stereos I know well..... Oh, this car will be competing IASCA next year as this year it will spend 6 - 8 months getting the stereo installed.......
Old 03-28-01, 06:23 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default What Car & Class?

Ira - What car didja have your runner-up finish in 1999 with & how about some system specs? I've competed in USAC for over 10 years but not with your success. I'd like to do IASCA but USAC rules in the Deep South - very few contests down here in which to amass points toward the Finals.
Old 03-28-01, 06:44 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

System Layout
1. Stock head (heavy mods)
2. Alpine 5959s CD Changer
3. Digital out to Zapco d/a
4. to Orion DEQ 30
5. to Zapco SLX 4
6. Zapco Z 400 c4 sl
7. passive x-overs to
8. Diamond Hex 3 way & Diamond prototype subs

plus lots of black boxes and install tricks.

I am the guy in the Zapco ad sitting on the back of this upholstered (jeep materials ) swivel chair that comes out of the trailer hitch; tuning console, command station, beer holder etc.

151-300 amateur, lost to Markey Deitrich (Red Probe, all Kicker equipment)
Old 03-28-01, 07:58 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default Markey

Ira - Yeah, I've met Markey before in Kansas City. Was this his first generation Probe or the after-the-wreck overhaul? As far as the GS project goes, U've got most of the same stuff picked out that I have ( RMM grill & brakes ) & all the same suspension stuff. Can always add a torque converter & the RMM LSD with the 3.76 gearing. Other than that, it's gonna be hard to hide things from your dealership because Swift's intake stands out. Check with some other Lexus dealers in your area - some are more willing to work with ya than others. Here in Louisiana, no one mods a Lexus so the technicians at my dealership love my ride.
Old 03-29-01, 01:48 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Gene,

I competed against both of his Probes. He wrecked the green one in the trailer accident going to the 1999 Spring Break Nat's and the red one came out in late 1999, debuting at Perry.

If I do the LSD, TC, exhaust & intake, what can I expect in the 1/4 mile (and 0-60)? I really want to run the car down in to the 12's if possible but wouldn't be at all upset with mid to low 13's.

How does you car handle with the aforementioned components? I must admit that I like cornering really hard and will push this car to it's limits. Also, is the ride compliant on the highway or will the expansion joints feel like massive craters? I would like to keep my fillings in their respective cavities..........
Old 03-29-01, 04:58 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Haven't Quartered It Yet!

Ira - I haven't run the GS down the quarter mile yet but U can see my 0-60 results in the Q&A section. I doubt that U'll hit 12's without either supercharging or nitrous ( still working on who's got the best kit! ). I hope to quarter it early next month & am looking for high to mid 13's myself but I've also got all that stereo stuff in the trunk. Check out Will's posts concerning his 1/4 mile times in his S/C GS somewhere on page 2 of this Forum. The suspension mods firmed up the ride & took most the body roll out of the GS but even on my bad Louisiana roads, the ride's not objectionable at all. It's excellent when I go over to Texas or Mississippi where the roads are MUCH better & there are some curves to challenge. I hear the L-Tuned is a little more compliant but can only speak of the Eibach/KYB combo that I have.