GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a Northern USA GS ? Rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 06:44 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buying a Northern USA GS ? Rust issues?

Hey guys,
Ive been searching around for a GS300 to do a Aristo 2jZGTE swap/vip project with and I may have found a car that will fit the bill.

The only problem I have, is that the car is a northern car, and my last few experiences with northern cars have been bad due to undercarriage rust.

My question for today is- how are the northern GS second generation cars holding up? Have any of you had bad experiences with buying a northern car?
Im concerned about rusted, seized bolts, rusty, corroding undercarriages, etc.

Now granted, Ill check the car out before making the purchase, but Id love to hear some of your firsthand experiences with your GS's in regards to rust/corrosion.
Old 02-22-11, 07:19 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by northern, how far north are you talking about? OK? KS? just kidding.

i bought my GS3 in MI and have been driving it over 3 winters. rust isn't an issue with my baby at all. i have noticed some small rust spots when i detail her in the spring but i use clay bar to get rid of them and voila, problem solved.

others may have other experiences but i drive my baby all year round and take care of her so i don't have issues you're worried about.
Old 02-22-11, 07:26 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

If you're looking to do a GTE swap, this might not be the right car for you (ie rusted bolts)
Old 02-22-11, 07:33 PM
DaSaNi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have your choices, dont!
Old 02-22-11, 08:06 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
If you're looking to do a GTE swap, this might not be the right car for you (ie rusted bolts)
Maybe you misunderstood me Thomasgs4 - Im not concerned about cosmetically rusted bolts.

I have a problem with bolts that are seized, bolts that when you try to pull off the factory suspension and the head of the bolt snaps off due to years of salt spray/rusting.

Sorry if I came off as someone **** about cosmetic rust, Im not at all, just prefer not to go through the hell I went through with the last car with the whole undercarriage being rusted so badly.

In regards to making a swap happen, its going to happen, 100%. Just need to find the right car first.
Old 02-22-11, 08:09 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Anyone else in the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania area have issues with their second gen GS in regards to undercarriage rust?

Sorry for badgering you guys, the dealership insists the car does not have rust, and or that they cannot take photos of the undercarriage due to them not having a lift.

If it comes to it, Ill have no problem flying out and buying the car, Im just wondering about your real world experiences with the GS in that area.
Old 02-22-11, 08:48 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

I also got 1 up here in Michigan. The GS has been here for 12 years and no rust, it has been garage kept during winters from the previous owner but i have been driving it this winter. Really it depends on who owned and what they put it through as there is no way of knowing for sure what they did. Just do a thorough inspection and if you trust your judgement there shouldnt be any issues.
Old 02-22-11, 09:01 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Thanks for the input Kzem!

Im looking for a mobile car inspector that I can hire to go on out and inspect the car for me before I seal the deal.
Old 02-23-11, 04:12 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Htowncory
Maybe you misunderstood me Thomasgs4 - Im not concerned about cosmetically rusted bolts.

I have a problem with bolts that are seized, bolts that when you try to pull off the factory suspension and the head of the bolt snaps off due to years of salt spray/rusting.
No, I understood you fully and that was exactly what I meant. I don't know why you thought I was talking about cosmetic rust?
Old 02-23-11, 07:06 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus does pretty good undercarriage coating and rust prevention on their cars so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. my father had his 98ES since 00 and it has about 260k on it and has no rust issues(AND I MEAN NONE). i had a 95 maxima and it was falling apart due ti rust, so i know the difference between the two companies. a friend of mine had his 98GS since it was new and no rust issues either. do a thorough check of the car just in case. i live in New York btw.
Old 03-15-12, 09:19 AM
japancars
Driver School Candidate

Default corrosion

Originally Posted by Lexusfam
Lexus does pretty good undercarriage coating and rust prevention on their cars so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. my father had his 98ES since 00 and it has about 260k on it and has no rust issues(AND I MEAN NONE). i had a 95 maxima and it was falling apart due ti rust, so i know the difference between the two companies. a friend of mine had his 98GS since it was new and no rust issues either. do a thorough check of the car just in case. i live in New York btw.
lexusfam can you tell me if you think the 2003 es300 has a good undercarriage coating the car was sold out of new hamshire dealer new please reply
Old 03-15-12, 01:01 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone else in the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania area have issues with their second gen GS in regards to undercarriage rust?

Sorry for badgering you guys, the dealership insists the car does not have rust, and or that they cannot take photos of the undercarriage due to them not having a lift.

If it comes to it, Ill have no problem flying out and buying the car, Im just wondering about your real world experiences with the GS in that area.
my car was born and raised in NJ for its whole life and i do not have any rust issues... this may be due to the fact that the car was garaged all its life and the car doesn't really go anywhere if there is alot of snow... car sucks in the snow anyway... during winter, if the car is driven on the road with salt, i usually try to get the car washed... the only item where i have seen rusted bolts on my car is on the exhaust, which always seem to be the problem child...

i guess the short answer is that it really depends on how the previous owner took care of the car... you can't avoid the fact that the car will eventually see snow/salt up here (unless it is completely taken off the road in winter) but there are some things that are managable...

where is this potential car? you can ask one of the local guys to take a look at it for you before making the trip...
Old 03-15-12, 02:34 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in pa, rode my car through this winter, it was garaged from the previous owner, I don't have a garage, and I believe my car came from Cali, my rust is minimal... Very minimal
Old 03-15-12, 07:51 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in boston, my car has held up quite well for a 99 with no rust, but I take care of mine
Old 03-16-12, 12:34 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

As you can tell from some of these responses it all depends on how well the car has been taken care off. I live in probably one of the worst places on earth for winter rust. My cars see everything winter has to offer but I also take very good car of my cars. They get oil sprayed every year and I wash them almost every week during the winter. This really helps to keep the body panels from rusting, but the undercarriage is always going to be a challenge. My GS is pretty good but even still, last summer I had to pretty much cut out my front lower control arms because the eccentric bolts were seized solid. Same thing with the rear toe adjuster bolts. The gas tank got a pin hole from rust about two years ago that I was able to JB Weld.

If you are doing a GTE swap and you are pretty handy I don't think you should be too worried. Most rusted bolts can be freed up and the ones on the GS won't snap off like on an Nissan or Honda. I believe the sezed suspension bolt issues which I had are not limited to the salt regions.

If the price is good and it checks out reasonably well, I say go for it.

Quick Reply: Buying a Northern USA GS ? Rust issues?