GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 07:16 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i did think that was a possibility but i would imagine it was more trouble than it was worth....will look cool OP if properly executed. im remembering my dads old 72' nova with the flip down tag where the gas filler was behind it although it was annoying as it would flip back up on you.
Haha, my dad had the same car in baby blue. The floorboards were rusted out in the backseat, so you could see the road underneath you. As kids, we had to keep our feet propped up. Flintstone style ftw! Her name was Grace.
Old 02-24-11, 08:15 AM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, as stated this is not my first rodeo, I have had many customs over the years. This one is my third lexus and I'm still in love with the lexus brand. I have thought of doing a whole lip kit, but right now the car only has about 2 1/2" clearance as is and the roads out here in Idaho suck. I will be putting on a tte front lip, jp 3 piece wing and blick roof spoiler as well. As far as the ghost logos it will be very suttle and only in light silver perals, they will not be seen unless the sun is directly on them. The car is going to be ready for final assambly next tuesday, I can't wait to see the final product. And yes the headlights will get buffed out and cleared while it is at the paint shop. I'll have some complete pics up some time late next week, Keep modin' and enjoy the "relentless persiut of perfection."
Old 02-24-11, 08:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
this guy sound like this isn't his first rodeo (not his 1st time doing this) all i have to say is you should have got a kit and painted the whole car at once and PLEASE dont put ghost "L"'s on the car this isn't a hotrod. over all i think this will look very clean.
ty for explaining what his first rodeo meant, we never would have known

im with you though NO ghost L's

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Haha, my dad had the same car in baby blue. The floorboards were rusted out in the backseat, so you could see the road underneath you. As kids, we had to keep our feet propped up. Flintstone style ftw! Her name was Grace.
OMFG i thought we had the ONLY POS like that....ours was the puke yellow like khaki but even a worse color. my great grandpa gave it to us when we moved from Erie Pa to Memphis, Tn since we only had the dodge colt then and YES our floorboards were rusted out also. we could watch the road moving by us as we were driving. it sucked when a rock or snow flew up in there and hit you in the legs. we used to joke to our friends it was Flintstones powered also

we were so embarrassed of the car to we would tell our dad practices were over like half a hour after they were over so no one would see it. or we would walk but my dad had/has money and refused to buy another car till it died since it was paid for....worst was when my brother and i played for the most prestigious soccer teams locally and also the u-17/u-18 State,Regional And Olympic soccer teams and we would have to show up to tournaments in that thing. i could have died of embarrassment a million times eventually i just stopped caring and was happy to have a ride though

Last edited by sakataj; 02-24-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 12:23 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

sakataj i was not directing the rodeo comment to you, i am sure you knew what it ment but there is alot of members from other countries that may not know "our" slang. lol ps what does your screen name mean?

rtolmie- if this is your 3rd lex how do only have 21 posts? it will look very good with a tte but why not mold it? that would really look nice.
Old 02-24-11, 12:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
sakataj i was not directing the rodeo comment to you, i am sure you knew what it ment but there is alot of members from other countries that may not know "our" slang. lol ps what does your screen name mean?
i know you werent i was busting your *****....

its a name some japanese chick was calling me the whole time we were in japan. NO clue what it means but its stuck for years man. it probably means douchebag or something but i still had the last laugh if it did as i nailed her
Old 02-24-11, 02:49 PM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

SoCal Cyco: just became a member when I got my 2gs3, Got my first lex when I was 20, that was a 91 ls400, and 11 yrs. ago. As far as the tte front lip goes, I will be fully molding it onto the front bumper cover like you suggested, and shaving the marker lights on it as well. It's the cleanest way to go imho also.
Old 02-24-11, 05:56 PM
aloysius
Driver School Candidate

sounds good rtolmie . so far as the ghost l's go, its your car go for it. keep the photos coming.
Old 02-24-11, 06:48 PM
SinisterGS
Rookie

Work is looking good so far, can't wait to see the finish product !!
Old 02-24-11, 07:23 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas filler behind the taillight I cant wait to see this. keep us posted
Old 02-25-11, 07:46 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMFG i thought we had the ONLY POS like that....ours was the puke yellow like khaki but even a worse color. my great grandpa gave it to us when we moved from Erie Pa to Memphis, Tn since we only had the dodge colt then and YES our floorboards were rusted out also. we could watch the road moving by us as we were driving. it sucked when a rock or snow flew up in there and hit you in the legs. we used to joke to our friends it was Flintstones powered also

we were so embarrassed of the car to we would tell our dad practices were over like half a hour after they were over so no one would see it. or we would walk but my dad had/has money and refused to buy another car till it died since it was paid for....worst was when my brother and i played for the most prestigious soccer teams locally and also the u-17/u-18 State,Regional And Olympic soccer teams and we would have to show up to tournaments in that thing. i could have died of embarrassment a million times eventually i just stopped caring and was happy to have a ride though
Craziness... The nova replaced our Dodge Colt as well I feel ya on being embarassed by the ride... We lived in a richie rich suburb and all my friends god dropped off in the Benz. Been. There. Dude.
Old 02-25-11, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Craziness... The nova replaced our Dodge Colt as well I feel ya on being embarassed by the ride... We lived in a richie rich suburb and all my friends god dropped off in the Benz. Been. There. Dude.

thats crazy funny.... we live in a nice neighborhood now but when we moved here the city we were gonna move into had some regulations about vehicles and the nova didnt met their standards. yeah all the guys on our soccer teams got BMW's and such for their 16th birthdays....

anyways cant wait for updates from the OP
Old 02-25-11, 01:57 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

i know you werent i was busting your *****....

its a name some japanese chick was calling me the whole time we were in japan. NO clue what it means but its stuck for years man. it probably means douchebag or something but i still had the last laugh if it did as i nailed her
leave my ***** out of this, lol. good way to get a nick name. haha those kind of last laughs are the best!!!

Originally Posted by rtolmie
SoCal Cyco: just became a member when I got my 2gs3, Got my first lex when I was 20, that was a 91 ls400, and 11 yrs. ago. As far as the tte front lip goes, I will be fully molding it onto the front bumper cover like you suggested, and shaving the marker lights on it as well. It's the cleanest way to go imho also.
excelent, i cant wait to see this. it ia the way i always wanted my bumper. good luck bro, cant wait to see this done.
Old 02-25-11, 09:47 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good buddy. Can't wait to see the outcome!
Old 03-10-11, 03:49 PM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

Update:
coat of kitty hair to seal out water and provide strenght.

forst coat of filler on.

paint stripped off fender to fix up the lip, not letting anything slide on this car.

So the progress is slow, but we are going for show quality on this build. After getting into the paint we found six, thats right six coats of paint on the doors, and you ask why there are six coats of paint? We found several key scratches and small door dings that were previously fixed over the years. After discovering this we decided to strip the car down to bare metal and start with a clean slate. The paint rep messured the mil thickness at 14.5 to 16 around the car and that was unacceptable. So back to sanding and more sanding. This paint job will be perfect and I don't care how long it takes, aslong as I can make several vip shows this year I will be happy. As far as the gas door I have reconcidered shaving it and oppted to keep it at this point, Kind of a bummer, but the differance in hight from the fill neck to the tail light is to much to make it work well. We are hoping to have the car in primer by Saturday, but we will see.
Old 03-10-11, 03:54 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

very nice rob

Quick Reply: Going under the knife