GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 07:38 AM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going under the knife

Just getting ready for the up comming show season out here in the west. It was time to do more then just custom wheels and coilovers. This week will bring many new changes to my 2gs3. First I'm having all the doors shaved along with the gas door. Next on the list is the new custom paint job, staying with alpine silver, but adding an ice blue peral with ghost lexus emblems all around the car. Here a just a few teaser shots for now.
Before the body work.

Getting started.

One door filler in place. I'll Have more pics and summary up this weekend. So happy to see some nice changes to the ride.
Old 02-23-11, 08:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

what lb poppers you putting in the doors? where you relocating the gas filler to and please dont say in the trunk....

in just cause im curious to see how this ends up
Old 02-23-11, 08:40 AM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

I'll be using 35 lb. poppers, these door are fairly easy. As far as the gas filler goes it will be relocated behind the drivers side tail light, using the factory release. The trunk is full of custom stereo and leather, so I will not just put the filler inside the trunk. Can't wait to hit the northwest sceen this summer.
Old 02-23-11, 09:07 AM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious. If you shave all the doors, what happens if your battery dies and you are unable to activate the solonoids? The trunk does not pass through, so there goes the crawl through the trunk idea.....
Old 02-23-11, 09:31 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dungut
Just curious. If you shave all the doors, what happens if your battery dies and you are unable to activate the solonoids? The trunk does not pass through, so there goes the crawl through the trunk idea.....
I always wondered this myself.....
Old 02-23-11, 09:38 AM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

When you shave doors, its always a good idea to have a second medthod of entry, Auto loc now has a backup batery system for just that reason, but thats why I will be putting in a manual hidden door release also just incase. There are many things to think about when doing custom work, I have spent the time and have the knoledge behind custom mods, so not to much to worry about.
Old 02-23-11, 09:41 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it will be a sick build.
Old 02-23-11, 10:06 AM
kped Gs430
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds interesting........... subscribed
Old 02-23-11, 10:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rtolmie
I'll be using 35 lb. poppers, these door are fairly easy. As far as the gas filler goes it will be relocated behind the drivers side tail light, using the factory release. The trunk is full of custom stereo and leather, so I will not just put the filler inside the trunk. Can't wait to hit the northwest sceen this summer.
been awhile for me....35lb poppers strong enough.im sorry im being visually impaired....the gas filler will be behind the drivers side tail light? how are you supposed to fill this?

Originally Posted by dungut
Just curious. If you shave all the doors, what happens if your battery dies and you are unable to activate the solonoids?
Originally Posted by Infamous 1
I always wondered this myself.....
u use a manual hidden entry button or emergency release. i have had shaved doors before....
Old 02-23-11, 10:20 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
the gas filler will be behind the drivers side tail light? how are you supposed to fill this?
Hey Brian, I think he's going to have the tail light pop open to access the filler cap I guess? That would be the only way, and would be pretty cool if that's what the OP is going to do. Imagine the looks you'll get at the gas station, heheh!! Can't wait to see this build. Sounds like a lot of custom work being done.
Old 02-23-11, 10:35 AM
rtolmie
Driver School Candidate

Veritek: Your right on the money. Using a hinge and the original release. It will be pretty cool to have the tail light open up with a push of the dash control. The reason behind the shaving is when you look at our cars the only thing that stick out are the door handles and the gas door, everything else has clean lines and is still a beuatiful looking car.
Old 02-23-11, 10:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by veritek
Hey Brian, I think he's going to have the tail light pop open to access the filler cap I guess? That would be the only way, and would be pretty cool if that's what the OP is going to do.

Originally Posted by rtolmie
Veritek: Your right on the money. Using a hinge and the original release. It will be pretty cool to have the tail light open up with a push of the dash control. The reason behind the shaving is when you look at our cars the only thing that stick out are the door handles and the gas door, everything else has clean lines and is still a beuatiful looking car.
i did think that was a possibility but i would imagine it was more trouble than it was worth....will look cool OP if properly executed. im remembering my dads old 72' nova with the flip down tag where the gas filler was behind it although it was annoying as it would flip back up on you.
Old 02-23-11, 08:23 PM
harman
Driver

wow that would be crazy to see- the taillight swinging out and sticking the gas pump nozzle there. post a pic of that when you get it done.
Old 02-23-11, 08:54 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

this guy sound like this isn't his first rodeo (not his 1st time doing this) all i have to say is you should have got a kit and painted the whole car at once and PLEASE dont put ghost "L"'s on the car this isn't a hotrod. over all i think this will look very clean.
Old 02-23-11, 08:55 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

oh and you might want to buff out your head lights, they look pretty faded. imho

Quick Reply: Going under the knife