GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone else tired of looking a their multi-colored letter shiftgate??? Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 08:37 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hmmmmmmm......

Originally posted by ebruceii

My thoughts EXACTLY!! Mumbles, you crack me up, I always appreciate your posts. BTW, are U saying stay tuned for an idea to remedy the shifgate situation, or were you only talking about the $5 clock..lol.???
Eric
Ok, this is where things get wierd... I know I have an off-kilter sense of humor, you appreciate it, both our names are Eric Star Trek episode... Good Kirk, bad Kirk. You don't happen to have a goatee do you?

Yeah, I was talking about the shifter. I have a couple of ideas to improve it. The $5 clock is beyond help. Although, a friend of mine drives an ES, and the clock is integrated into the climate control LCD. Hmmmm.....
Old 08-21-02, 08:47 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Toog4me
LOL... I feel the same way about the gauge cluster. Not so much about anything else though. It would be cool if someone was able to get a chrome one, or more like stainless steal.
Well you didn't have to say it twice... Are you talking about chroming the gauge cluster? The whole thing, or just the gauge surrounds, I'm not sure I understand.

Is it possible to do the NSX thing but with a more "stick" look, ie, not like a thin metal rod?
Ok, I'm really feeling stupid here. Again, not sure what you mean by "more stick look"
Old 08-22-02, 03:41 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Sorry. I've been out of it, and I still am out of it. I just drove home from San Diego and was there for no more than an hour.

By Stainless steel, I meant the entire shifter display thing that shoes you what gear you are in. If we could somehow get rid of the colored letters, and replace them with chrome letters to match the rest of the car, it would look sweet.

Secondly, what I meant was that the NSX surrounding cover looks great, but the shifter that was put in looks too puny. Maybe something bigger or fatter, or not something that looks like an SC400's shifter?
Old 08-22-02, 11:37 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Toog4me
Sorry. I've been out of it, and I still am out of it. I just drove home from San Diego and was there for no more than an hour.

By Stainless steel, I meant the entire shifter display thing that shoes you what gear you are in. If we could somehow get rid of the colored letters, and replace them with chrome letters to match the rest of the car, it would look sweet.

Secondly, what I meant was that the NSX surrounding cover looks great, but the shifter that was put in looks too puny. Maybe something bigger or fatter, or not something that looks like an SC400's shifter?
OK, now I got ya. One of the ideas I'm working on is exactly what you described for the shift bezel. Change the appearance some and improve the lettering.

As far as the shifter goes, most aftermarket ***** will fit, so it's just a matter of finding one you like.
Old 08-22-02, 12:04 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default OMG!!!!

Ok, this is where things get wierd... I know I have an off-kilter sense of humor, you appreciate it, both our names are Eric Star Trek episode... Good Kirk, bad Kirk. You don't happen to have a goatee do you?
mumbles- you're gonna crap your pants but.....I DO have a goatee!!! But I'm not as evil as Evil Cartman....and I'm not fat, I'm big-boned...lol I forgot about Bad Kirk....that was a loooong time ago.

Anyway, can you give any hints as to what you are working on for the shiftgate??? I'm dying to find something to remedy this situation

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-22-02, 12:23 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok this is what I don't understand, why would you want to make your car LOOK like a stick. It's like putting a Type-R symbol on a civic. It isn't a Type-R so why put it there. Just as it isn't a stick so why make it look like it is?
Old 08-22-02, 05:14 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by futuregs
ok this is what I don't understand, why would you want to make your car LOOK like a stick. It's like putting a Type-R symbol on a civic. It isn't a Type-R so why put it there. Just as it isn't a stick so why make it look like it is?

That is why I actually DO NOT LIKE the stick. If I found a **** that was appealing to me, I would think about it.

It does look kinda neat though!
Old 08-22-02, 07:49 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

that shift **** is cool, but i would only do it if I color all my wood to silver
Old 08-22-02, 10:46 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: OMG!!!!

Originally posted by ebruceii

mumbles- you're gonna crap your pants but.....I DO have a goatee!!! But I'm not as evil as Evil Cartman....and I'm not fat, I'm big-boned...lol I forgot about Bad Kirk....that was a loooong time ago.

Anyway, can you give any hints as to what you are working on for the shiftgate??? I'm dying to find something to remedy this situation

Thanks,
Eric
Lucky I'm a slow reader, I had time to get 'em off before I downloaded :eek:
Hopefully I'll have something by this weekend.
Old 08-23-02, 12:34 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

The pic of the shift **** is from my car.

Future GS to answer your question of why I would want it to look like a stick shift?

I really didn't like the factory look. I am not trying to pose to be something else. FWIW, everyone that has looked at my interior, didn't even realize that the boot was on because it just fit well. I have since changed my **** and I think it looks much better now. After a few guys have really looked at it, then they realized that it was not a factory option. Even the Lexus techs were kinda amazed on how clean looking it was.

everyone has their own taste.

aloha
HI98GS
Old 08-23-02, 02:45 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

hey ricky, ever consider painting the central console or sidedoor panel wood to silver? it would realli rock with that setup.

^^ then again, well done.
Old 08-23-02, 08:16 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusRules
a CL member used a shift boot from an Acura NSX and it maeks it look almost like a manual transmission.. go to ur acura dealer near u and order a shift boot for the NSX and it should fit the GS!
I think that was actually a Bruce Nomura mod.....