GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone else tired of looking a their multi-colored letter shiftgate??? Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 05:56 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone else tired of looking at their multi-colored letter shiftgate??? Ideas??

All,

I'm trying to come up with a way to cover the P N R D-4 , etc. multi-colored letters on my shift gate. I know it's nit-picky to even think about, but I don't like the look of it. Not very Lexus to me.

My ideas so far:

disassemble and spray paint - concern here is obviously color match, smoothness & luster of finish,etc.

thin leather covering - again color match is a concern, as well as getting the piece to fit back within the bezel once it is covered.

Those two are all I have so far. Has anyone really messed with this and made it look good????

Any other good ideas out there????

Thanks all,

Eric

Last edited by ebruce2; 08-20-02 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 07:00 PM
JYOO

I've thought of this too, just scared to try anything.
Old 08-20-02, 07:00 PM
JYOO

I've thought of this too, just scared to try anything.
Old 08-20-02, 07:28 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just put some limo tint over it, should stick down nicely and you can cut to fit. Second, I would remove the light that illuminates the gate (or leave it and see how it looks).

Using tint, you will be able to revert to stock without hurting anything..the mod should be extremely easy to do.
Old 08-20-02, 08:11 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a CL member used a shift boot from an Acura NSX and it maeks it look almost like a manual transmission.. go to ur acura dealer near u and order a shift boot for the NSX and it should fit the GS!
Old 08-20-02, 09:22 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

It's kind of funny what bugs people. I sit in my car and gaze in wide wonder at the electro-luminescent gauges the dim when you go through a tunnel, and brighten when you come out. I enjoy the overall ergonomics of the GS, and think it's cool the way the steering wheel comes out to meet you.
Then I look down at the shift gate and think "How the heck did that Chevy Chevette shifter get in my car?" I mean really, the least they coud have done was to match the color to the lettering on the climate control and stereo. Oh, and it would also be great if they would ditch the $5 clock, which by the way is the exact same clock I had in my '79 Celica
I've got a couple of ideas for remedying this, so stay tuned
Old 08-21-02, 09:44 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the NSX shift boot thing about a year ago. It looked really cool. The only problem is when valets try to move your car and they don't realize that the Lexus has a gated shifter. Also if you don't get the car in Park good, you can't remove the key. Last week, I removed the shifter boot.
Old 08-21-02, 10:07 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by KayGee
I did the NSX shift boot thing about a year ago. It looked really cool. The only problem is when valets try to move your car and they don't realize that the Lexus has a gated shifter. Also if you don't get the car in Park good, you can't remove the key. Last week, I removed the shifter boot.
Hey KayGee,
I hear that you'll be joining Bit and myself in a convoy to Deals Gap. Looking forward to meeting you, it's gonna be cool!
Old 08-21-02, 10:35 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kaygee do u have pics? i may be interested in takin u boot ofu r hands email me at lexusrules@hotmail.com with info plz!!
Old 08-21-02, 10:49 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Lexus Rules:
I never took a picture. There was a picture in the gallery but I can't find it now. I am not sure if I want to sell it. I may reinstall it later. FYI, I paid $100 for the Acura dealer to order it for me. It looks better if you have the black leather shift ****.

Eric:
I am going earlier in the day with Jazziz and 1SickLex. The date is getting close and I am getting excited.

Last edited by KayGee; 08-21-02 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-21-02, 11:10 AM
KayGee
Instructor

I found the picture that inspired me. My shift **** is the OEM black leather one.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else tired of looking a their multi-colored letter shiftgate??? Ideas??-shift-boot.jpg  
Old 08-21-02, 03:01 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default hmmmmmmm......

Then I look down at the shift gate and think "How the heck did that Chevy Chevette shifter get in my car?" I mean really, the least they coud have done was to match the color to the lettering on the climate control and stereo.
My thoughts EXACTLY!! Mumbles, you crack me up, I always appreciate your posts. BTW, are U saying stay tuned for an idea to remedy the shifgate situation, or were you only talking about the $5 clock..lol.???

Sasha - I also thought about the boot idea, but I once saw another pic of one that looked like C-R-A-P on a GS. The one that Kaygee posted looks very clean. Dunno if I wanna pay $100 for it, though. Plus I have the Momo tall Zebrano Wood shift ****, don't know what that would look like.

Eric
Old 08-21-02, 06:41 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mumbles
It's kind of funny what bugs people. I sit in my car and gaze in wide wonder at the electro-luminescent gauges the dim when you go through a tunnel, and brighten when you come out. I enjoy the overall ergonomics of the GS, and think it's cool the way the steering wheel comes out to meet you.
Then I look down at the shift gate and think "How the heck did that Chevy Chevette shifter get in my car?" I mean really, the least they coud have done was to match the color to the lettering on the climate control and stereo. Oh, and it would also be great if they would ditch the $5 clock, which by the way is the exact same clock I had in my '79 Celica

LOL... I feel the same way about the gauge cluster. Not so much about anything else though. It would be cool if someone was able to get a chrome one, or more like stainless steal.

Is it possible to do the NSX thing but with a more "stick" look, ie, not like a thin metal rod?
Old 08-21-02, 06:41 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mumbles

LOL... I feel the same way about the gauge cluster. Not so much about anything else though. It would be cool if someone was able to get a chrome one, or more like stainless steal.

Is it possible to do the NSX thing but with a more "stick" look, ie, not like a thin metal rod?
Old 08-21-02, 08:28 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by KayGee
Lexus Rules:
I never took a picture. There was a picture in the gallery but I can't find it now. I am not sure if I want to sell it. I may reinstall it later. FYI, I paid $100 for the Acura dealer to order it for me. It looks better if you have the black leather shift ****.

Eric:
I am going earlier in the day with Jazziz and 1SickLex. The date is getting close and I am getting excited.
Cool, I was wondering if Frank was going, guess that answers my question. Anyone heard from Doc?
Looking forward to meeting you, since we always seem to attend opposite meets

Quick Reply: Anyone else tired of looking a their multi-colored letter shiftgate??? Ideas??