GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looky what I found. Could this be the reason for our cars feeling sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 12:18 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looky what I found. Could this be the reason for our cars feeling sluggish?

Well, as you guys have read recently, my oem alternator kicked the bucket @ 10 years old and 124K miles. Leading up to this I heard a lot of whining/squeeling that would sing a little louder as I drove faster; then when my battery light came on the other day and my mechanic looked at it he ascertained that it was in fact the alternator. So, I ordered a brand new 200A (up from the oem 100A) aftermarket alternator; I will be giving it to my mechanic tomorrow to install.

But here is the kicker...I was doing some research on the internet and found on some sites that people SWORE that the car feels better, stronger and more solid at idle and acceleration right after they got their new alternators installed!

For example, from a 3000GT forum
http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/new-alte...ar-omg-496663/

Is this possible? Makes sense to me but I just wanted to see what you guys think or have experienced in the past. I will let you guys know FOR SURE after I get this damn thing installed! Who knows maybe it'll add 1000hp! lolololol.
Old 02-25-11, 01:39 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am only posting because I also have a 3000GT Twin Turbo as you used in your example. I can tell you when I replaced my 3000's alternator, I felt no difference. The alternator I replaced was not dead, just did it along with other items on my 60k miles service. So not sure you will tell a big difference, but I am cheering for your 1000hp goal
Old 02-25-11, 02:01 PM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just changed my alternator in my 1998 400. I noticed the car was a little quicker but maybe thats just due to me driving my daily 4 banger civic. the only way to find out is for me to drag race my brother in his 2000 400. He beats me by a little. I would love to race him and post back but hes on 20s right now.
Old 02-25-11, 02:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want to know if your engine is running efficiently, get a vacuum reading anywhere on the intake manifold (that's after the throttle body). Vacuum reading should between 18-22" Hg with a steady needle.
Old 02-26-11, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Its possible especially if you have high miles.
Old 02-26-11, 09:55 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did you get your 200a alternator from? I think its time I upgrae.
Old 02-26-11, 10:04 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

get the grounding kit also, it might just help bump it over 1000hp

Last edited by denut-L; 02-26-11 at 10:05 AM. Reason: didnt make sense
Old 02-26-11, 08:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

These cars will drive without the alternator (serpentine belt off) just fine. The only way the alternator can alter performance is if the pulley is sticking and robbing more power than it needs to. I doubt you'll see much change after replacement

At one point I was noticing that my 2GS was a bit sluggish. I never really felt that it was sluggish, but a friend of mine that has the same car with just cat back exhaust felt a lot torquier off the line. Mine could only chirp the tires while his would burn the rears like a muscle car. I did a number of maintenance items to make sure it was running properly, and while it ran and drove great, it was still a bit sluggish.

Then one day my CEL turned on, and it was one of the secondary O2 sensors. I replaced both primary sensors as part of my 100k maintenance, even though they were still good. In any case, after the secondary sensor went bad and I replaced it, the car turned into absolute beast to the point that I drive it in snow mode, otherwise its impossible to keep rears from spinning, especially on winter tires.

I know that secondary sensor isn't supposed to take part in fuel ratio calculation, but apparently it does. I read somewhere that on Toyota/Lexus, these secondary sensors can affect F/R calculation by as much as 2%, and while it doesn't sound like much, it really is a lot on our cars because they are aggressively tuned from the factory.
Old 02-26-11, 09:05 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I upgraded my OEM alternator to 150 amperage at 56,000 mileage late last year and did not noticed any improvement in acceleration or idle.

The only significant improvement I noticed with idle and start-up is when I added a PowerMaster d2700 battery (under the hood) and a second Optimum yellow top (located in trunk).
Old 02-27-11, 07:03 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
These cars will drive without the alternator (serpentine belt off) just fine. The only way the alternator can alter performance is if the pulley is sticking and robbing more power than it needs to. I doubt you'll see much change after replacement

At one point I was noticing that my 2GS was a bit sluggish. I never really felt that it was sluggish, but a friend of mine that has the same car with just cat back exhaust felt a lot torquier off the line. Mine could only chirp the tires while his would burn the rears like a muscle car. I did a number of maintenance items to make sure it was running properly, and while it ran and drove great, it was still a bit sluggish.

Then one day my CEL turned on, and it was one of the secondary O2 sensors. I replaced both primary sensors as part of my 100k maintenance, even though they were still good. In any case, after the secondary sensor went bad and I replaced it, the car turned into absolute beast to the point that I drive it in snow mode, otherwise its impossible to keep rears from spinning, especially on winter tires.

I know that secondary sensor isn't supposed to take part in fuel ratio calculation, but apparently it does. I read somewhere that on Toyota/Lexus, these secondary sensors can affect F/R calculation by as much as 2%, and while it doesn't sound like much, it really is a lot on our cars because they are aggressively tuned from the factory.
When you say secondary do you mean both rear O2 Sensors?
Old 02-27-11, 10:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

Just one actually, in my case it was the drivers side rear sensor.
Old 02-27-11, 11:30 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, as you guys have read recently, my oem alternator kicked the bucket @ 10 years old and 124K miles. Leading up to this I heard a lot of whining/squeeling that would sing a little louder as I drove faster; then when my battery light came on the other day and my mechanic looked at it he ascertained that it was in fact the alternator. So, I ordered a brand new 200A (up from the oem 100A) aftermarket alternator; I will be giving it to my mechanic tomorrow to install.

But here is the kicker...I was doing some research on the internet and found on some sites that people SWORE that the car feels better, stronger and more solid at idle and acceleration right after they got their new alternators installed!

Is this possible? Makes sense to me but I just wanted to see what you guys think or have experienced in the past. I will let you guys know FOR SURE after I get this damn thing installed! Who knows maybe it'll add 1000hp! lolololol.
Rock,

Would like to know where you got your 200A alt from. If you got it from ebay I would recommend that you promptly return it. I went through 2 of them. The voltage regulator inside of them is crap and fails. I installed the 200A alt in my car up from the oem even though my oem was just fine and I felt no difference in power whatsoever.
Old 02-27-11, 12:50 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Rock,

Would like to know where you got your 200A alt from. If you got it from ebay I would recommend that you promptly return it. I went through 2 of them. The voltage regulator inside of them is crap and fails. I installed the 200A alt in my car up from the oem even though my oem was just fine and I felt no difference in power whatsoever.
Originally Posted by lowKut
I upgraded my OEM alternator to 150 amperage at 56,000 mileage late last year and did not noticed any improvement in acceleration or idle.

The only significant improvement I noticed with idle and start-up is when I added a PowerMaster d2700 battery (under the hood) and a second Optimum yellow top (located in trunk).
Originally Posted by djspawn00
Who did you get your 200a alternator from? I think its time I upgrae.
Originally Posted by iGOTlexy
i just changed my alternator in my 1998 400. I noticed the car was a little quicker but maybe thats just due to me driving my daily 4 banger civic. the only way to find out is for me to drag race my brother in his 2000 400. He beats me by a little. I would love to race him and post back but hes on 20s right now.
Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex

please everyone. enlighten me/us with what kind of alternators you bought, from who (or where [brand]) and prices.

i am very much looking for an alternator. was just quotes $409 for a 180 alt from dc power. or two other options for $600 and $650 @ like 200 and 220 amps. what have YOU guys boughten?
Old 02-27-11, 12:55 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
^^^

Just one actually, in my case it was the drivers side rear sensor.
Oh nice. My driver side rear sensor has needed to be replaced for quite some time now. I bought the part probably 6 months ago and just haven't gotten around to putting it in because I didn't think it made much of a difference.
Old 02-27-11, 01:01 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och

Interesting, where did you read this? Everything I've ever read said that the secondaries don't do anything but monitor cat performance. I have both my secondaries sim'd and even when the sim stops working once in a while and my car still runs the same. I have a wideband so I'm able to tell when my afrs are off.

Perhaps you unplugged your battery when you changed the sensor and that was why your GS was more responsive.

Quick Reply: Looky what I found. Could this be the reason for our cars feeling sluggish?