GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noises with AC on..grrrr

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 04:39 AM
Sick03L
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises with AC on..grrrr

OK Ive searched so now Im asking.

I have two noises when I turn on my AC. One sounds like my dash cluster is eating gravel and the other is bubbling, liquid, gurgling, high pitch noise coming from the left side vent area. What is going on. The gravel sound is killing me.
Old 02-26-11, 06:05 AM
Sick03L
Driver

OK so Ive bleed the living crap out the coolant system and still no change. It sounds like gravel every time I change the temperature a couple of degrees then goes away. Change temp and it sound like living creatures eating rocks in my dash. Please help.
Old 02-26-11, 06:43 AM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam man suckage again, the bubbling might be the freon passing through the orphis tube/valves. May be see if your freon is low. As far as the gravel sound who knows.
Old 02-26-11, 08:25 AM
Sick03L
Driver

Originally Posted by entryspeed
Dam man suckage again, the bubbling might be the freon passing through the orphis tube/valves. May be see if your freon is low. As far as the gravel sound who knows.
Yeah, Its sounds AC related like pressurized liquid but its clearly coming from behind the left side air vent. The rats eating gravel has me frustrated. Maybe a servo motor? Who knows but Im sure Ill get it figured out at some point.
Old 02-26-11, 09:06 AM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup and yes it definetly could be servo gears but that would only before a moment when switching settings. the servo should not be going for any length of time, unless its not moving at all and there is a sensor waiting to pick up its position. These cars are amazingly technical, maybe to much so. I still love it though gs400 is definetly in my top 5 of the 50 or so cars I've owned. When are we going to get together LOL. We need to admire are used time consuming beauties.
Old 02-26-11, 12:39 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Originally Posted by entryspeed
Yup and yes it definetly could be servo gears but that would only before a moment when switching settings. the servo should not be going for any length of time, unless its not moving at all and there is a sensor waiting to pick up its position. These cars are amazingly technical, maybe to much so. I still love it though gs400 is definetly in my top 5 of the 50 or so cars I've owned. When are we going to get together LOL. We need to admire are used time consuming beauties.
Would not mind a gtg sometime soon. We can sit and ***** about all the little issues that drives us nuts and then fix 1 of the 50 and then feel like we accomplished something.
Going to have the AC evac'd and charged today, figure it cant hurt right? But what confuses me is the gravel noise sounds like its coming from the steering / dash cluster area and even over to the center vent area. All the servos are right up under the glove box area and towards the center. It seems to do it when I change fan speed settings and change the temp. Sometimes it goes away quickly and sometimes it just lingers around.
Old 02-26-11, 03:17 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a gurgling sound coming from dash area as well. When I start moving my car from a stop it gurgles for a second then stops. It seems to do this randomly. The sound actually went away for a while after I received a coolant pressure test, but now it is back. I have had my coolant changed since (when I got my 90k maintenance).
Old 04-09-11, 08:25 AM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Default Gurgling from center of dash just behind the nav screen

Originally Posted by lexusben
I have a gurgling sound coming from dash area as well. When I start moving my car from a stop it gurgles for a second then stops. It seems to do this randomly. The sound actually went away for a while after I received a coolant pressure test, but now it is back. I have had my coolant changed since (when I got my 90k maintenance).
i have the same problem with my 2004 430. it seems to make the gurgling sound when the engine is cold and idling and when for a second when i pull away from a stop light. fortunately i do not have the living-creatures-chewing-on-gravel sound which leads me to believe the gurgling and gravel sounds could be seperate issues. Anyway, it's very annoying and I'm about to give up hope on trying to figure it out on my own and just take it to the dealership Has anyone investigated this further? Is there a simple solution?
Old 04-09-11, 10:16 AM
damiendaz
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem. It turned out to be on of the servo motors in the dash.
Old 04-09-11, 07:33 PM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by damiendaz
I had the same problem. It turned out to be on of the servo motors in the dash.
By any chance do you remember what the price is to replace a servo motor? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the info.
Old 04-09-11, 07:51 PM
GS671
Rookie

I hear the same thing when I start up the car and A/C. So I just turn up the stereo to drown the noise. I guess it might be that servo problem everyone talks about.