GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need recommendation for good A/M cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 12:58 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need recommendation for good A/M cat

The cat is gone on my 2003 GS, and I would like to know if anyone has used any A/M cats, and if so, any recommendations? I really don't want to spend $1200+ at the dealer.
Old 02-27-11, 06:27 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

bump.

Anybody got anything?
Old 02-27-11, 06:57 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive used cats like this on several cars and had great success.

These are universal cats, in which you can cut the piping, and or old worn cats then weld this in place.

They run around $100 a piece, and most local muffler shops can weld them in place for you. You'd reuse the rest of your factory piping, flanges.

Old 02-27-11, 07:50 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htowncory
Ive used cats like this on several cars and had great success.

These are universal cats, in which you can cut the piping, and or old worn cats then weld this in place.

They run around $100 a piece, and most local muffler shops can weld them in place for you. You'd reuse the rest of your factory piping, flanges.

Cool, thanks for the reply! Do you think most muffler shops will carry this in house, or is this something I would have to buy online to get at that price ($100/ea)?
Old 02-27-11, 09:41 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydc
Cool, thanks for the reply! Do you think most muffler shops will carry this in house, or is this something I would have to buy online to get at that price ($100/ea)?
There will be two types you'll have access to.

1) spun casing cats like the ones shown that will be small, compact, but more expensive.

2) clamshell type cats which are cheaper, but are larger, bulkier.

There is nothing wrong with choosing either, but choice #1 will allow you to put the cats in a lot more places that have tight clearances.

Most muffler shops will have access to catalytic convertors. Just stop by and talk to them.

BUT, when you go in, do not tell them that your dealership wanted $1200 to replace them. Just go in and tell them that another muffler shop quoted you $410 and you were curious about their quote. Go from there.
Old 02-27-11, 09:58 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htowncory
There will be two types you'll have access to.

1) spun casing cats like the ones shown that will be small, compact, but more expensive.

2) clamshell type cats which are cheaper, but are larger, bulkier.

There is nothing wrong with choosing either, but choice #1 will allow you to put the cats in a lot more places that have tight clearances.

Most muffler shops will have access to catalytic convertors. Just stop by and talk to them.

BUT, when you go in, do not tell them that your dealership wanted $1200 to replace them. Just go in and tell them that another muffler shop quoted you $410 and you were curious about their quote. Go from there.
Thank you so much for your help. I'll take your advice and see what I can find out tomorrow.