GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help please!! timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 12:54 PM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please!! timing belt replacement

hi to all and thanks for reading my new thread,,,,i have a lexus gs430 with alot miles on it 235xxx been an awesome car since day 1,,,so here is my problem , i start doing the timing belt replacemet my self because is too spensive to pay someone else to do it,,,,im kind like scared but i almost remove everything to get inthere,,,i read so much to know how to get this job done but i still have doubts,,i know u have to rotate the crankshaft and put in in 0 and cams to i to know that is at tdc,then rotate crankshaft to 50 degress atdc and cams gonna be at T so the cams dont move and stuff like that, but here is my doubt,when i do all that and remove the timing belt how i do to put it back, do i need to aling everything back to tdc crankshaft to 0 and cams to i or i just put it back the same way i take it out with the 50 degress on crankshaft and t on cams? im scared i think this is gonna move and im gonna break the engine.....also im remplacing the water pump tensioners and crankshaft seal,,,,,,other thing i notice is that the cam from the passenger side is leaking a little bit ....but that other thing i have doubt,i dont know how to replace that either.....i really need some help,,will be very helpfull if someone here can help me with all this i will greatly aprecite,,,im in florida tampa bay area just if someone wanna pass by to help me lol... btw my english is not that great ,,, thanks and have a nice day
Old 03-01-11, 01:36 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are the links on replacing timing belts..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...w-to-soon.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-300-a.html
Old 03-01-11, 02:26 PM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

thanks pinoiryder but is the same to change the timing belt on the gs430 i read that they have couple of stuff different,also they dont show how to do the cam seal
Old 03-01-11, 02:29 PM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

they dont give any advise i read that the camshaft can move by itself if u dont do it the correct way...for what is the 50 degrees i need someone explain please help man
Old 03-01-11, 05:32 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

When you have the engine set to remove the timing belt you should have the cam marks and crank inplace. As soon as you remove the timing belt you donot rotate the engine any further. Your timing belt will have two cam marks to line up and the crank mark to start with. Put the timing belt on from the crank up when it is in place and all marks line up at cams etc then you can pull the tensioner pin and put tension onto the timing belt. GL here is a good website for ya. http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
Old 03-01-11, 08:04 PM
Gears12
Driver

I don't have a 430 but I have changed the timing belt on a couple of vehicles. I always have trouble getting the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. This includes my GS300. I hope you have a good impact with room for it to fit in.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on this...
Gears
Old 03-01-11, 08:19 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Oh snap just read your post again, I do not advise you attempt the cam seals at all. I would highly suggest you save up and get it done by a respectable, dependable mechanic as cams seals require the cams be disasymbled (vvti side) to replace them. I just did everything you are about to do with the cam seals. Im on the east coast so cant help ya hands on but can help you with schematics and diagrams of what ever you want navigating the website i posted is alittle tricky but take your time. These motors are interfernce motors and not to make you scared but you can bend valves.
Old 03-03-11, 06:48 AM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

hello entryspeed..thanks for responding to my post..yes please send me any and everything you have that you think can help me to change those seals