GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2003 GS430 weird starting problem - what is causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 04:43 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2003 GS430 weird starting problem - what is causing this?

I have a 2003 Lexus GS430 that I have owned since new. I replaced the battery in it about 4 years ago - it has one of those Optima batteries in it that cost me about $150. The car has 84,000 miles on it.

Recently, I've been noticing a problem that only seems to occur on a cold start. When I turn the key to the "start" position, nothing happens for a split second. Then, I hear a "click", and the engine starts turning over. It never used to do this - the starter always engaged the instant the key was turned to the start position.

Today, when I got off of work, when I turned it to start, nothing happened for about a full second. When the starter does kick in, the engine turns over at what sounds like normal speed.

I suppose it could be the battery going bad, but if that is the problem, I never heard a weak battery manifesting itself in this manner - usually I would expect to hear the engine turning over more slowly. But that doesn't appear to be happening. No other problems are apparent - the car always starts fine and runs well.

Anyone have a bad battery manifest itself in this manner, or do I have another problem developing?
Old 03-07-11, 04:45 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Most likely the starter. Seems a little premature for it to go out on a 2003 and with that few miles.
Old 03-07-11, 04:46 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we to assume you checked all connections wires terminals etc. Also It very well could be a relay or a dieing selinoid on the starter (lets hope not). GL

thomas you always beat my slow typing a$$ lol
Old 03-07-11, 04:49 PM
btanchors
Driver

Battery terminals and all connections appear to be clean and secure.

If it is the starter, is that a particularly difficult/expensive replacement to do on the 4.3L V8?
Old 03-07-11, 04:50 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
Battery terminals and all connections appear to be clean and secure.

If it is the starter, is that a particularly difficult/expensive replacement to do on the 4.3L V8?
It's not an easy task, BUT doable if you have the time/dedication/experience etc.
Old 03-07-11, 05:34 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will just say the starter is under the intake manifold on top of the engine just to give you an idea. I can provide you with all the instructions you need and im sure others can too.
Old 03-07-11, 09:39 PM
jedi_k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starter replacement is not that bad. I had a similiar problem like yours and replaced mine a year ago. If you can find a local place to rebuild it, it will be cheaper than buying a replacement.
Old 04-14-11, 03:38 PM
btanchors
Driver

Well, the problem has gotten worse.

Several times now, when I turn the key to the "Crank" position, absolutely nothing happens. I release the key to the "on" position, then attempt to crank again. Sometimes it works then, sometimes it takes several attempts. And when the starter does activate, it turns over slowly, sounds like it is straining.

I The battery is an Optima Red Top that was manufactured in October, 2007. I plan to remove the battery and have it tested. If that isn't it, I am afraid you all might be correct, and that it is the starter. I note that when the key is in the "on" position, power windows, chimes, seats, other electrical accessories, etc., seem to work normally, which is why I am suspecting the starter.

If the battery is good, I am going to take it to the local Lexus dealer....Anyone care to speculate what this will cost? I just do not have the time and patience to attempt this myself...
Old 04-14-11, 03:54 PM
colombianc
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2001 GS430 with 175k miles on it, just had the same problem and had to replace the starter. Eventually the car won't start
Old 04-14-11, 03:58 PM
colombianc
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Delaware and I paid around $500 for the whole thing but it wasn't a dealership.
Old 04-16-11, 01:25 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like it's a battery related issue, especially since it's a couple of years old already (I don't know the lifespan of Optimas). Have you tried swapping in a battery that's good?

Seems strange a starter can go like that though, mine went on my 97 Soarer out of nowhere (of course before work and I had the keys to the office lol).
Old 04-17-11, 11:59 AM
btanchors
Driver

This keeps getting stranger....

I had the battery tested today. Before I removed the battery, I did some tests. I connected my battery charger to make sure it was fully charged. The Ammeter on the charger indicated that initially when connected, it charged at the rate of a couple of amps, but within seconds, the Ammeter went down to zero, which to me (and based on prior experience) means that battery is fully charged. I also connected a volt meter to the battery, so I could observe the voltage while cranking. While cranking, the voltmeter only went down about a volt a so, and very quickly came up to well over 13, as the alternator kicked in. I also experienced the problem of no cranking while the voltmeter was connected - the voltmeter went down only slightly when this occurred - not as much as when the starter actually cranked.

So, I decided to take the battery out to have it tested at my local Advance Auto Parts. First, I again made sure my charger indicated the battery was full charged. Then, I had the battery tested. They connected a portable tester, about the size of a shoe box, to the battery, right at the counter. It printed out a little receipt. It says:

Good - Recharge
Voltage: 12.33V
Measured: 768 CCA
Rated: 720 CCA
Temperature: 73 degrees F

Comment: Battery is good, but low on charge. Charge battery and return to vehicle.

Now I am really puzzled!

The battery is an Optima Red Top, manufactured in October 2007, installed in November 2007.

I can understand why the battery exceed its CCA rating (which was stamped right on the battery). The CCA rating is determined at zero degrees F - and of course, it was 73 degrees in the store. I do NOT understand how it could have measured so well on CCA if the battery was not fully charged, NOR do I understand why my battery charger indicated it was fully charged!

They offered to put it on their charger, which they said would take about four hours. I am waiting for that to be completed now.

Beginning to think this is NOT a battery problem, but it is still very strange...
Old 04-17-11, 05:06 PM
btanchors
Driver

Well, bad news...I have confirmed it is *NOT* a battery problem.

The auto parts store charged the battery for me, and performed a second test, with the same test equipment. Results:

Good Battery
Voltage: 12.59
Measured: 810 CCA
Rated: 720 CCA
Temp: 74 degrees F.

So, I am headed to the Lexus dealer later this week :-(

Thanks to all who responded - Looks like you were correct, I'll probably be getting a new starter...
Old 04-17-11, 05:42 PM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it to lexus for a diagnostic. Their 1 hr worth of shop rate is worth it in your headaches alone. they will tell you the problem, and you can elect to fix it there/yourself/independent mech.

Long shot, but maybe it is your ignition switch?

Good Luck!
Old 04-19-11, 09:49 AM
btanchors
Driver

I forgot to add to my previous message that after I installed the charged battery, I still experienced the problem.

But it's a moot point now, I took it to the local Lexus dealer this morning. I explained to the service write up person that it was intermittent. He asked me if I thought I could reproduce the problem for the mechanic. He brought the mechanic out, and he sat in the passenger front seat. Lucky for me, the problem happened on the first turn of the key - nothing but a click and some other sound, but no cranking. He confirmed he thought it was the starter, but said he wanted to do some more tests first, including testing the battery on their own equipment.

So, I just got the word - bad starter. Estimate, parts and labor: $1,405.00. I told them to go ahead.

As others have pointed out, in order to remove the starter, the throttle body, and the upper and lower intake manifolds must be removed, so there is a lot of labor involved.

For those of you who experience this problem, this will provide a data point for the cost of having a Lexus dealer perform the repair.

Quick Reply: 2003 GS430 weird starting problem - what is causing this?