GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to replace GPS Nav. for a aftermarket stereo... My consern is the A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 09:56 PM
MrLukas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace GPS Nav. for a aftermarket stereo... My consern is the A/C

Hello Forum,
Im new here... i own a 2003 Lexus Gs300 Inline 6. It has a GPS navigation that is old and out of date. But i also want to install some audio into it so i need some help. the GPS Nav. touch screen controls the A/C, so i need help replacing the GPS Nav. with a cd player but somehow get the A/C working aswell. (Hopefully you guys understand what im asking ). Id appreciate the help. Thanx.
Old 03-07-11, 11:48 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

i understand. this was my concern when i wanted to do it to mine.

what you have to do is remove the full nav unit.
find the ac controls from a non-nav gs and put those in, they should be able to plug right in if you buy the right one. idk if all gs have interchangable ac's but id find one thats exactly the year and model of your gs, just in a non-nav unit and put those controls in there at the top. then the bottom should be enough to fit a double din.

i didnt know about this until AFTER i did my stereo work. but what i did was i kept my full touch screen nav unit and i connected the factory amp to a processor. gives me good sound quality and i get to keep everything stock looking and not have to take out the nav or mess with it.

however, nothing really gives you the sound quality of a deck, like an actual deck. if i had to do it all over, i think i might do a double din isntead of a processor. it was cheaper to do a processor but i dont get all the features a deck or double din would give.. but also, i hate the look of the non-nav ac controls in the gs. i think they look ugly, so idk if id do it.

u can find the ac controls on the classfields on here or on ebay.
Old 03-08-11, 07:28 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLukas
Hello Forum,
Im new here... i own a 2003 Lexus Gs300 Inline 6. It has a GPS navigation that is old and out of date. But i also want to install some audio into it so i need some help. the GPS Nav. touch screen controls the A/C, so i need help replacing the GPS Nav. with a cd player but somehow get the A/C working aswell. (Hopefully you guys understand what im asking ). Id appreciate the help. Thanx.
Welcome.

I'll help you out before the "Search before you post" police get here. Just about anything you can think of has been asked or done here already so searching for your question and adding to existing posts is preferred.

That said there is also a extensive 2GS DIY section setup as a sticky. Check here before posting as well.

Hello all (Links to most DIYs for the GS) PLEASE LOOK HERE BEFORE YOU SEARCH!!
Old 03-08-11, 07:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I'll help you out before the "Search before you post" police get here.
i wasn't even gonna bother posting but that made me laugh abel

i know you weren't necessarily talking bout me but its kind of the old saying if the shoe fits.....although i would consider myself more of a search ****
Old 03-08-11, 08:58 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^lmfao ... no search for you !!!! ( Seinfeld soup ****)
Old 03-08-11, 09:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by neojungle1
^^^^^lmfao ... no search for you !!!! ( Seinfeld soup ****)
Name:  1soup-****.jpg
Views: 5348
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 03-08-11, 04:05 PM
baydriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends if you want to get a single din or double din deck, imho double din would look better. like metioned before, all you have to do is buy a climate control aka hvac from a lexus gs w/o nav. They range from $80-150 on ebay. The climate control in plug and play using factory connector.
Old 03-09-11, 12:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an no navi AC climate control for sale from my navi to aftermarket deck conversion that I no longer need if you want to buy it Sold my car so I don't need it anymore.
Old 03-11-11, 04:28 PM
MrLukas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I have an no navi AC climate control for sale from my navi to aftermarket deck conversion that I no longer need if you want to buy it Sold my car so I don't need it anymore.
o.0 really?
only problem is that because i just made the account here they wont let me in the market place for another 60 days i believe... is there another way we can make this transaction?
Old 06-24-11, 02:16 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
i understand. this was my concern when i wanted to do it to mine.

what you have to do is remove the full nav unit.
find the ac controls from a non-nav gs and put those in, they should be able to plug right in if you buy the right one. idk if all gs have interchangable ac's but id find one thats exactly the year and model of your gs, just in a non-nav unit and put those controls in there at the top. then the bottom should be enough to fit a double din.

i didnt know about this until AFTER i did my stereo work. but what i did was i kept my full touch screen nav unit and i connected the factory amp to a processor. gives me good sound quality and i get to keep everything stock looking and not have to take out the nav or mess with it.

however, nothing really gives you the sound quality of a deck, like an actual deck. if i had to do it all over, i think i might do a double din isntead of a processor. it was cheaper to do a processor but i dont get all the features a deck or double din would give.. but also, i hate the look of the non-nav ac controls in the gs. i think they look ugly, so idk if id do it.

u can find the ac controls on the classfields on here or on ebay.

I did this and after pulling the nav unit did a test fit of the new unit and noticed that the a/c plugs have a different pin-out. I am attaching some pics. Did I buy the wrong part? Any suggestions?

Old:
Name:  000_0019.jpg
Views: 5492
Size:  37.3 KB

New:
Name:  000_0023.jpg
Views: 5316
Size:  39.1 KB
Old 06-24-11, 03:24 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Do you have a picture of the front of the CC?
Old 06-24-11, 04:05 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Do you have a picture of the front of the CC?
Sure do.
Name:  000_0014.jpg
Views: 10765
Size:  49.1 KB
Old 08-08-11, 08:11 AM
Jay7051
Driver School Candidate

Would any of you know why i would have no sound coming out of my radio? i have an 04 gs300 with the mark levinson system w/ nav....and the radio works when it wants to, but my nav still works and so does the a/c...any ideas?
Old 10-03-12, 03:36 PM
yesca
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm having the same problem as the op
Old 10-04-12, 11:32 AM
showtymers
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay7051
Would any of you know why i would have no sound coming out of my radio? i have an 04 gs300 with the mark levinson system w/ nav....and the radio works when it wants to, but my nav still works and so does the a/c...any ideas?
did you by pass the ML amp because you have to run wires from the front to the rear and bypass the amp

Quick Reply: How to replace GPS Nav. for a aftermarket stereo... My consern is the A/C