GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-15-14, 03:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

~~Modification Regrets~~

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 12:04 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I regret not bringng my car to an EXHAUST shop when installing my headers. An 11 hr job and I SWEAR I KNOW I have an exhaust leak up by the headers...and I specifically didn't use the gaskets from S&S and used the better OEM gaskets (bought new); just so I got a nice tight seal...not so.

Oh, well...one of these days I try to get it fixed; perhaps they just need to be re-tightened again. I read in some recent "header" threads that they usually need to be re-tightened again after a little bit of driving; I'll check this out.
Install it yourself and you won't have those problems. Is it making a ticking noise?
Old 03-10-11, 12:18 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
My god 200k, dont feel bad man it adds up, my regret is dealing with various shops that try to get over.
I spend over $100,000 building a subaru wrx... At the time i loved it. When i went to sell it i could not get near $20k for it since it was wayyy unstreatable.
Old 03-10-11, 12:58 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nar8ta
I regret dealing with Stance coilovers co. The hell that company put me through was just crazy. Thank GOD they gave me my money back because of their numerous screw ups (wrong parts, a blown strut, at the highest setting the car is slammed). I think they had a leftover kit which they wanted to get rid of and just passed it over to the customer. Many have good experiences with them which is why I went with them but I would never spend another dollar with that company again.
I think Vlad told me about you... made me change my mind about getting stance coils
Old 03-10-11, 02:21 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OT0814
I think Vlad told me about you... made me change my mind about getting stance coils
Yeah, V help to sort out the mess. Others rave about them but I would never do that again.
Old 03-10-11, 02:47 PM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

i regret my spinners and candy yellow paintjob and my ebay mufflers and my ugly led tailights that make my car look like a deformed g35 ...

jus kiddin ...i have tasteful mods
Old 03-10-11, 03:45 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Until you get the LS430 correct?
I regret putting money everyone else BUT my car Gotta change that up
Old 03-10-11, 05:38 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fuzzzz
I regret putting money everyone else BUT my car Gotta change that up
?wth......
Old 03-10-11, 06:17 PM
ro702
Rookie

If I do regret then thats a lesson on me but thats half the fun!
Old 03-10-11, 06:25 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Only mod next i really want to do is to paint my car. But that's hella moolah.
Old 03-10-11, 07:00 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I regret not bringng my car to an EXHAUST shop when installing my headers. An 11 hr job and I SWEAR I KNOW I have an exhaust leak up by the headers...and I specifically didn't use the gaskets from S&S and used the better OEM gaskets (bought new); just so I got a nice tight seal...not so.

Oh, well...one of these days I try to get it fixed; perhaps they just need to be re-tightened again. I read in some recent "header" threads that they usually need to be re-tightened again after a little bit of driving; I'll check this out.
Yes, you most defiantly should retorque exhaust manifold/head bolts after the first few hundred miles. The extreme heating and cooling cycles can yield some stretch on the studs or very slight warpage on the header flange and cause leaks. Though I'm sure it's probably a pain on the v8 to get to all those bolts, not much working room. But a good retorquing could quite possibly fix your issues if you never have tried..

Some Copper exhaust gasket silicone can help sometimes, if you spread some on the normal gaskets before initial installation.
Old 03-10-11, 07:15 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I regreted:

- Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust (was WAY too loud/too much drone for a daily driver)
Really? The Tanabe MT's are that loud? The MT's I've heard on other models of cars (my wife's included) did not sound very loud until you were close to WOT??

I though they would be fairly tame on the gs as well? If you've heard the HKS exhaust in person would you say they are considerably quieter than those?
Old 03-11-11, 06:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Install it yourself and you won't have those problems. Is it making a ticking noise?
Yes! and it is a PITA, it quiets down a little after she's warmed up...but I am sure I am losing some backpressure and power as a result. I would really like to get it fixed.

Also, everything car related is a PITA for me to do with a 1 car garage and an inclined driveway. Whenever I do anything such as a brake job or change my wheels I have to do it out in the street on jack stands. This is why I really try to avoid any DIY's that are more involved.
Old 03-11-11, 06:49 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

only regret: JPI Imports....never ever ever ever take your car to them, under any circumstances in my opinion. They were a sponsor here on CL that took me to the bank. Do your own installs if you have the know how. I just didn't have the time but I ended up redoing everything they did myself and the things I didn't know, I took to Boost Logic.
Old 03-11-11, 09:48 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Really? The Tanabe MT's are that loud? The MT's I've heard on other models of cars (my wife's included) did not sound very loud until you were close to WOT??

I though they would be fairly tame on the gs as well? If you've heard the HKS exhaust in person would you say they are considerably quieter than those?
I've always thought that phrase "did not sound very loud until you were close to WOT" was funny until I had the Tanabe MT, then it wasn't funny. Drone at highway speeds, loud anytime you gas any gas, and horrible on military installations when I was on client calls.
Old 03-11-11, 04:52 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I've always thought that phrase "did not sound very loud until you were close to WOT" was funny until I had the Tanabe MT, then it wasn't funny. Drone at highway speeds, loud anytime you gas any gas, and horrible on military installations when I was on client calls.
Did you get rid of your Tanabe MT?

Quick Reply: ~~Modification Regrets~~