GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 09:08 PM
bmanson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my dismay my 99 suffers the same complex that many others on this board share. An annoying vibration develops in my car between 79-81 mph. In attempts to rectify the issue, I changed the balljoints, outer tie rods, and performed the daizen bushing mod, coupled with freshly balanced tires. The problem was greatly reduced, but not all together gone. Later I added the TRD swaybars, which aided in a reduction of vibrations specifically at 79-82 mph. The effect of the mods I have done to alleviate the problem have done well to lessen the phenomenon but have not solved the problem all together. It is not until now that I stumbled across the pretensioner thread. Tomorrows first actions will be to give this a shot in hopes of solving the problem. As much as I love my lexus, this is a problem I cannot live with, and if i cannot solve it soon I will have no choice other than to get rid of the car. Stay tuned... keep this thread alive.
Old 05-12-06, 06:37 AM
amwendwa
Rookie

I'm in the same boat.
As much as I love my lexus, this is a problem I cannot live with, and if i cannot solve it soon I will have no choice other than to get rid of the car.
It's such a shame, but I think lexus should have addressed this.
Old 06-10-06, 12:25 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I found this thread and will go to my mechanic on tues to get steering pretensioner adjustment, i have simular problems like some people on this thread described. I have my car shift side to side on uneven pavement, my steering wheel feels loose while driving and stand still, about 1/2-1inch of play when I turn it side to side. I just had my column and my tilt motor changed it was not working, so I bought the whole column and tilt motor as a whole assembly and had it changed, it works as new for now.. but I think the loose steering feel problem got a bit worse, my mechanic was a bit skeptical to screw arrounf with rack and pinion and worned my by doing this adjustment i can break it, I printed out this thread and he said He will do it.. I see some people adjusted 1/16 and some 1/8, which way would you go, i had a bimmer before and do not mind a stiffer feel on steering, because now it is loose and woobly, it feels cheep in my opinion. thanks everyone.. I love this site, helped me out a lot in few things i did with my ride..
Old 06-12-06, 12:39 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

so does anyone have any input on above at all??
Old 06-13-06, 07:36 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You do not need a mechanic to do the pre-tensioner mod...unless you lack the tools. I went about 3/4 at first, which was too much...the steering would not self correct after turns! So i loosened it about a 1/4 turn and that was perfect. I'd say it depends on the settings how far to tighten it.
At highway speeds under undulating surfaces or concrete expansion joints, the front suspension would rattle/attenuate often feeling the slack in the steering wheel. After the mod, this problem almost completely went away. The slack taken out by the pre-tensioner adjustment somehow keeps the steering components more planted. Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-06, 01:13 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone recall the size of the bolt needed to tighten the pretensioner? Might save me a few trips in and out of Lowes.
Old 07-26-06, 08:31 AM
skurks507
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STONER
Does anyone recall the size of the bolt needed to tighten the pretensioner? Might save me a few trips in and out of Lowes.

Did anyone find out the answer to this question?
Old 07-26-06, 11:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How could I have skipped over this thread?!
I have the exact same problem.
Old 08-10-06, 06:10 AM
adale
Rookie

Default Vibration

Just found this thread, and posted a very similar problem on another thread. It just seems weird that right after I put new tires on that this problem started????????? I am going to put the GS in the air this weekend and check out the rack. I have tightened the rack on my old VW before so I know a little about it. Just seems wierd.............
Old 08-10-06, 09:13 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Go and use the 9700...that and new tires solved my problem..

CEO
Old 08-10-06, 11:51 AM
TXGS
Driver

Here the the "pretensioner" that is being tightened. Lexus manual calls it a rack guide. It applies pressure to the rack itself. Overtighten and steering problems will occur. Like not being able to turn, no return to center, premature rack wear, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SCAN2660_000.pdf (23.3 KB, 629 views)
Old 08-14-06, 10:24 AM
skurks507
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STONER
What tool or tools do you need to tighten this bolt? I would love to do this DIY this weekend!
Old 08-14-06, 12:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXGS
Here the the "pretensioner" that is being tightened. Lexus manual calls it a rack guide. It applies pressure to the rack itself. Overtighten and steering problems will occur. Like not being able to turn, no return to center, premature rack wear, etc.
Thanks man, good stuff!!
Going to try this soon, if it doesn't help I am getting rid of the car, getting really sick of the shake.
Old 08-14-06, 06:58 PM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

are you experiencing just steering wheel vibration or the whole car...mine is happening after I accellerate and it the needle settles between 65-80..its friggin bad and it just started after I lowered my car and got an alignment...it was fine before the alignment.
Old 08-15-06, 05:22 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The vibration in the 60-80 mph range occurred when I got rid of my stock wheels. Even after putting on hubcentric rings and having my wheels balanced on the Hunter's machine I was still vibrating like crazy. Finally tried a suggestion that worked........I found a shop that spin balanced each wheel while they were still mounted on the car. One year later and no problems at all. No tire rotations and you have to be sure each wheel is mounted exactly the same if you do remove them but for $15 per wheel it was a deal.

It is not easy to find shops that spin balance wheels still on the car but it worked for me......give it a try.

Quick Reply: Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!