GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 10:49 PM
StylinGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate this problem too!

Originally posted by Murph
Dex,

Actually I had posted about the steering pretensioner adjustment a few months ago during a similiar vibration discussion. The pretensioner does stiffen up the steering quite abit. The drawback is the return to center after a turn is not as quick. It gives the car a heavy steering feel. It's a 45 minute job if you're out of warranty . The pretensioner has a fair amount of adjustment to it.

It reduced my vibration dramatically but I did not get complete relief until I put on L-tuned suspension and did a 4 wheel alignment. Now she's smooth as glass.

Murph
Thanks Scott and Murph for the info on this problem. I been having the same and no one know how to fix it. Now I know what to tell me dealership tech to look for and fix. Next Wednesday I'm getting an alignment again and the following week the lexus dealership here will be installing my new SRT Intake/ECU. I'll have them tighten the steering pretension too. Would I be charge for it? I have a 2002 GS300. I hope the problem goes away after dealer tighten.
Old 08-31-02, 03:29 AM
cong28
Lead Lap

I never had a steering vibration before but I took in my lexus this past Thursday and got my steering pretensioner adjusted by 1/16". Let me tell you, WOW, what a difference. The steering is much stiffer and it handles a lot better. My car doesn't shift from side to side when I'm driving on uneven roads so that's a good thing. The L-Tuned Steering Ecu didn't help me at all until I got the steering pretensioner adjusted. This is one easy mod I would recommend for those who wants stiffer steering. If you still have warranty on your car, it's free!!!

Last edited by cong28; 08-31-02 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-31-02, 06:09 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Cong..thanks for sharing the info..assuming you had it done at Longo..who did the adj for you? was it our "usual" guys..Veronne/Ted?

thanks
Old 08-31-02, 06:48 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

Thanks for all the info. I'll be heading to my dealership real quick.
Old 08-31-02, 08:48 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Hey Will...you know it! Verone and Teddy are the *****! In a good way. You know they'll hook us up. Tell them you want the same thing they've done to my car. Verone will know what your talking about.
Old 08-31-02, 08:53 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey Cong...

man, what a timing..Veronne just called me and i am scheduled to go in next wed night...hehehe ..i heard a few LA GS bros are planning to go in too...
btw, V said your car is tooo SICK, so you might be banned from the dealer for while...you know, dealers do not like it when we mod the car too much..NOT..oh well..jk..
Old 09-01-02, 01:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by gs4will
hey Cong...

man, what a timing..Veronne just called me and i am scheduled to go in next wed night...hehehe ..i heard a few LA GS bros are planning to go in too...
btw, V said your car is tooo SICK, so you might be banned from the dealer for while...you know, dealers do not like it when we mod the car too much..NOT..oh well..jk..
cool, next time i go to LA i will make sure i give a visit to V and get that done too! it's a 1 hr job right?
Old 09-01-02, 02:50 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

romi..

i will be there weds night so i will let you know afterwards
Old 09-01-02, 03:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

romi..

i will be there weds night so i will let you know afterwards
thanks man, i appreciate it. time is always against me, coz' every time i only have that much time during weekends and there are hardly anyone besides V knows what we need to do

Last edited by rominl; 09-01-02 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-02-02, 09:00 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Cool

Hi GS4will,
I asked my dealler in Westminister Lexus and they have no clue of what steering pretensionner is ! May be I should come to Longo for my 4-wheel alignment and adjustment too.

Thanks for the information.
Old 09-02-02, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by diamondgs4
Hi GS4will,
I asked my dealler in Westminister Lexus and they have no clue of what steering pretensionner is ! May be I should come to Longo for my 4-wheel alignment and adjustment too.

Thanks for the information.
i strongly suggest anyone in LA area to go to longo. i am from north cali and i go all the way to longo lexus for service... get the point?
Old 09-03-02, 12:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

diamondgs4...

sure..no problemo...veronne and i talked about this issue...as i said, i have an appt this week if you guys want more feedback..(not that cong did not gave some positive ones already..)..i can just see verone down at longo taking care all cl guys/gals' GS....:eek:
Old 09-03-02, 12:28 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, did anyone ever mention that this hardly happens with a front wheel drive car? I am not so technical like the rest of you guys, however with the power being driven by the front wheels (in a front wheel drive car), doesn't that give more grip and tracking to the steering, therefore hardly any cases of steering wheel vibration (unless it's an alighnment issue or balancing)?

I mean, my previous cars have been front wheel drive and I never felt this looseness, vibration, trammelling in the steering until I got my GS4.

It still irks me like it does the rest of you, that you pay this much for an increble car like this and you still have to get things fixed.

Also my family member's 530i is also rear wheel drive and that steering is tight and so very solid, which is wonderful!
Old 09-03-02, 04:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lexguynj
By the way, did anyone ever mention that this hardly happens with a front wheel drive car? I am not so technical like the rest of you guys, however with the power being driven by the front wheels (in a front wheel drive car), doesn't that give more grip and tracking to the steering, therefore hardly any cases of steering wheel vibration (unless it's an alighnment issue or balancing)?

I mean, my previous cars have been front wheel drive and I never felt this looseness, vibration, trammelling in the steering until I got my GS4.

It still irks me like it does the rest of you, that you pay this much for an increble car like this and you still have to get things fixed.

Also my family member's 530i is also rear wheel drive and that steering is tight and so very solid, which is wonderful!
not really, i have the acura tl type s (FWD with 260hp) and if i do hard brake the torque steer is pretty heavy. it's better already coz' it has tighter steering. i tired the non type s with 225hp and it's worse
Old 09-03-02, 04:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

diamondgs4...

sure..no problemo...veronne and i talked about this issue...as i said, i have an appt this week if you guys want more feedback..(not that cong did not gave some positive ones already..)..i can just see verone down at longo taking care all cl guys/gals' GS....:eek:
yeah wil, it would be nice if you can tell us how long it takes and how much they charge. i am sure if i go there for service again next time i will get that done

Quick Reply: Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!