GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-02, 12:30 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Westminister Fixed Mine

Westminister fixed the vibration problem on my '98 gs 300 several years ago. They tightened the steering, replaced the chrome 16's with stock 17's and quality michelin pilot sports. Not sure what is going on with the dealership now, but at the time one of the service reps had a 300 with modified exaust.

Good luck guys and don't forget to check if your tires are slipping on the rim...that was my problem.
Old 09-16-02, 03:12 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, just got back from the WESTMINSTER Dealer again today. I called the service rep, His name is Oscar, and told him about the problem again over the phone. He made an appointment for me today to bring the car in and that they will take a look at it. So I bring the car in and speak with BOB WASHNER, he didn't seem very friendly at all, and told him that I would like to get the Steering Pretensioner adjusted because I have vibration. So we go into his office and he writes me up, saying that I am going to get a loner, and then says that it is going to cost me 86 dollars. I asked him shouldn't it be under warranty, and he said only for the first 50,000 miles. I told him my car was CPO and he said any adjustments made to the car are not covered under warranty. Then he said that if something failed, it will be covered. I told him that I bought the car like this and that it is a defect and it should be covered under warranty. He then said that they only will make adjustmets in the first 12 months. I bought the car CPO last NOV, so it is in the first 12 months of me owning the car. I just told him that this was Bull***** and walked out, and then proceeded to call Lexus Customer Service and they are looking into it right now.

Oh yeah, I even printed this out to show him, just in case he didn't believe me.

Fack it going to make an appointment with Verone

Last edited by mcgong; 09-16-02 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 07:17 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if one of the dealerhsip sponsors on ClubLexus (Manhattan Lexus) knows of this issue and can fix it for us east coat people out here.

Johnny Mo, have you had this done there yet?

Last edited by lexguynj; 09-18-02 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by mcgong
Alright, just got back from the WESTMINSTER Dealer again today. I called the service rep, His name is Oscar, and told him about the problem again over the phone. He made an appointment for me today to bring the car in and that they will take a look at it. So I bring the car in and speak with BOB WASHNER, he didn't seem very friendly at all, and told him that I would like to get the Steering Pretensioner adjusted because I have vibration. So we go into his office and he writes me up, saying that I am going to get a loner, and then says that it is going to cost me 86 dollars. I asked him shouldn't it be under warranty, and he said only for the first 50,000 miles. I told him my car was CPO and he said any adjustments made to the car are not covered under warranty. Then he said that if something failed, it will be covered. I told him that I bought the car like this and that it is a defect and it should be covered under warranty. He then said that they only will make adjustmets in the first 12 months. I bought the car CPO last NOV, so it is in the first 12 months of me owning the car. I just told him that this was Bull***** and walked out, and then proceeded to call Lexus Customer Service and they are looking into it right now.

Oh yeah, I even printed this out to show him, just in case he didn't believe me.

Fack it going to make an appointment with Verone
oh yeah, i have said it so many times and i have to say it again, ONLY go to longo....
Old 09-18-02, 11:40 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Does this only apply to the GS4 and not the GS3?
Old 09-19-02, 01:47 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

guys...

only certain 98 and 99 production GS qualify for TSB adjustment...
Old 09-19-02, 02:07 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

How would we find out if our particular car VIN # qualifies for? Anyone have this info.?
Old 09-19-02, 03:29 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

call your dealer or if you are in LA, Veronne @ longo..626-580-6256
Old 09-19-02, 06:10 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Just saw Verone today. He had his tech look at the car. They really couldn't couldn 't do anything since my car doesn't fall under the guidelines of the TSB, and plus the tech said that the steering seemed fine, any tighter would be considered unsafe. So I guess I'll have to live with the shutter in the steering. Oh Wells.
Old 09-19-02, 06:20 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, the safety aspect is more vital than anything....verone does not want to have some of driving into the wall or traffic light and unable to turn the steering...:eek:
Old 09-29-02, 01:39 AM
Likecars
Rookie

gserep1

Have you contacted any of the 3 dealers in SD yet?
Old 10-04-02, 06:53 PM
glynclarke
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibrating GS

Hi I am a UK GS300 owner and have been suffering this vibration for the last 15000 miles (car has done 22,000 now)
It seems to be a shuddering from the front end. Like one of the previous memers I have now replaced all the tyres and still have the vibration. Which seems worse from cold too. Yesterday Lexus replaced the lower Balljoints on the font which they said would sort it. It hasn't. Having found your site I now feel vindicated and will be going back to Lexus with some of this information.
Any help or advice on how to approach this is welcomed
Cheers
GC
Old 10-04-02, 07:11 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Glyn...

welcome...on the vibration issue, various dealers will tackle the problem differently. on the 98 and some 99 GS, the problem can be fixed or lessened with repalcing the steering rack and or adjusting the steering pre-tensioner.

not sure if this TSB apply to the european model. good luck
Old 10-05-02, 06:10 AM
glynclarke
Driver School Candidate

Default GS Vibration

Spoke to the dealer today and gave him the information
They are going to speak to Lexus technical and come back
Does the pretensioner effect the steering in a negative way?
Appreciate any feedback from people who have had this done to cure vibration.
Old 10-05-02, 06:13 AM
glynclarke
Driver School Candidate

Default GS Vibration

One other quick point does anyone have the number of the technical service bulletin for this problem
Appreciate your help

Quick Reply: Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!