GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-04, 01:50 PM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel has been shakin' for 1 yr-Help!

Thanks for the help. Just found out I have a bent rim that may be the cause of it. I let you know the outcome.
Old 05-28-04, 05:30 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires are slipping out of balance

I purchased a new rim, new tires, and had them balanced. I drove the car and it was great. After a few stops and starts, the shaking in the steering wheel was back. I found out the shop had used that "Crisco" and the tires were slipping out of balance on my chrome rims. The shop wipe off all the "crisco" and re-balanced the wheels. Still slips out of balance.

What's my best solution to keep my wheels from slipping? Get rid of my chrome rims?

brk
Old 05-28-04, 10:37 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Get rid of your shop.

You shouldn't have to compromise your vehicle because of someone else's incompetence. Admittedly, it is very hard to find techs that will understand the problem and correct it properly, but you have to keep looking. Be sure that slipping is your problem, however. Did you mark the tire as I suggested?

If they didn't completely clean off the lubricant (not just wipe it down), then you can expect it to slip again. The bead needs to be lubricated with something, but there are special lubes out there that dry up after installation, unlike that Crisco stuff they use. In fact, there are specialty lubes for performance wheels that are just for the purpose of solving your problem. My advice is to find a shop that is already familiar with it and uses it.

I ended up taking mine to the Porsche dealer. They were expensive, but they knew how to avoid the problem.
Old 05-28-04, 10:46 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replay. The shop is willing to take responsibility and work with it until it's right, luckily. Supposedly, they've purchased this special sealant that will eliminate the slippage.

thanks for all your help. This site is great, considering every shop in this area had never even heard of the problem, and now I'm educating them.
Old 05-28-04, 11:36 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Default Shop doesn't know what to do

The tires aren't slipping now. The shop marked the wheels with a crayon, took it out and drove it, and still had steering wheel vibrations at 60 mph. It would go away, and then come back again. The shop says they be glad to continue trying different things, but they don't what direction to look in.

HELP! I hate this. I'm ready to sell my car.
Old 05-28-04, 08:11 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Is the steering wheel shaking side to side, or do you just feel it "in the front". Also, did they check for radial runout?

Tell me more about your tires and wheels. Brands, models, sizes, etc. And, are they balancing like I described before (dynamic vs static)?
Old 06-01-04, 06:54 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Yes, they are doing the dynamic balance.

Wheels are 17" chrome, Gianelle 5-twin, tires are 215 low pro cooper.

Actually, after the re-balance the shaking is very minimal. However, I'm starting to feeling a vibration while braking, so I'm beginning to wonder if a rotor is the problem.
Old 06-07-04, 10:51 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Question update

Whelp, I'm trying another angle today to fix the vibration in the steering wheel. New frt rotors & brakes. Supposedly, this shop had the same vaibration in a Bonneville and it turned out the rotors were not 'balanced' right. Have you heard of that before?

I'll let you know the outcome, if you're interested. This problem has become my white whale.
brk
Old 06-07-04, 01:24 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Have you tried rotating the front tires to the rear to see if the problem changes?

Rotors can surely induce a vibration, but usually only when the brake is applied. If they are near worn, it's worth a shot.
Old 06-08-04, 11:39 AM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Default Hub centric rings

Do you think I need hub centric rings? I have aftermarket rims, and I've been reading about a need for hub centric spacers to probably balance the wheel on the hub. I asked my shop, and they said, "no, coz' the wheel would be hopping." But from what I've read, it can cause a vibration in the steering wheel.
Old 06-08-04, 12:10 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Steering wheel has been shakin' for 1 yr-Help!

Originally posted by cyclemax
My advice to you Brk:

Have your front tires checked for DYNAMIC balance. This is when weights are placed on the inner edge and somewhere near the outer edge, whether it be behind the spokes, on the lip, etc. You just need to be sure to get a balance that includes weights on both sides of the wheel's centerline. A static balance is when the weights are just put in one place (plane) on the wheel, usually on the centerline or inner edge. If you just have a static balance, your steering wheel can shimmy back and forth, even though the wheel is technically "balanced". You may want to try a different shop than the one you've been dealing with.

While it is being balanced, visually check it for runout, both lateral and radial. See if it hops up and down or moves side-to-side while it's spinning.

Once you have that confimed (or corrected) make sure you have the correct centering rings installed in the wheel. The wheel should fit snug on the hub with no play up and down. The rings locate the wheel on the hub until you tighten the lug nuts.

Make a mark on each tire at the valve stem so you can see if it slips on the rim. Contrary to some beliefs, this is a fairly common problem with chrome wheels, especially if you drive with any enthusiasm.

Chances are your tires as just out of balance. Let me know how you make out.
Once you have that confimed (or corrected) make sure you have the correct centering rings installed in the wheel. The wheel should fit snug on the hub with no play up and down. The rings locate the wheel on the hub until you tighten the lug nuts.

From my 05/20 post:

Last edited by cyclemax; 06-08-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 12:52 PM
brkruse
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

I've finally got my shop believing that I need centric hub rings. They claimed I didn't need them. But after them rebalancing for a fourth time (for free) and finding that the tire itself is in balance, they're willing to listen to me. I've order them for $50. Too bad I didn't listen to you $800 ago.

Thanks again.
brk
Old 06-09-04, 06:00 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I too have this problem and finally ordered some hub rings to see if this helps. They say it will but what is weird after I had my wheels balanced yesterday it is WORSE than before. I am so sick I wanna drive my car off a bridge. Nothing like having a beautiful car and not being able to go over 40. I will keep ya posted on if the rings work or not.
Old 06-09-04, 06:38 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing with me...I have aftermarket wheels and as soon as I take it in to check why it's been vibrating...it turns out to be hub rings.... I keep kicking myself in the head for that one
Old 06-09-04, 07:20 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by alredxiii
Same thing with me...I have aftermarket wheels and as soon as I take it in to check why it's been vibrating...it turns out to be hub rings.... I keep kicking myself in the head for that one

i hear ya bro , same with me after changing my castor arms ... yesterday i had my front tires flipped ( turned inside out and swapped left to right) because of alittle negative camber wear on the inside treads... i could feel the choppiness of the treads... any little inperfection in the tires will transmit vibration and or shimmy... well after flipping and having the tires indexed properly , vibration gone and shimmy gone , its happy driving again until the inner wears again

have your tires inner treads looked at and try flipping them

Quick Reply: Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!