GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Autoleveling problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 09:37 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoleveling problems

I have an 04 gs430 with oem hid headlights auto leveling equipped. I've searched on here and haven't found anything on this yet.

The problem is, my headlight keeps trying to readjust itself ever secs. It gets annoying. The car is completely stock, oem headlights bulbs. I just noticed this a few days ago. I know on start up it will auto level with the weight of the car. Understood that part, but when I start driving you can actually see the beams moving up and down on both lamps. It's not a loose bulb, when I actually look at the headlight I can see the bowls moving up and down every 15-20 intervals. Have any of you guys experienced this problem? Please chime in.

BTW, I just recently had a 5901 viper alarm installed and I will ask the shop if he had to tap into any proximity sensors, I have disconnected the alarm and it still does the same.

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-11, 03:29 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure you haven't spent just enough time on searching.
Check this thread out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-sensor.html

I've had the same problem as you describe (constant autoleveling ), after disconnecting rear sensor mentioned in the thread above, headlight don't auto level anymore on start-up until issue is fixed that is.

Currently I have everything fixed but have to wait with installation a bit more till weather gets warmer!

Good luck!

Last edited by airestonia; 03-14-11 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-14-11, 10:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by airestonia
Check this thread out:

I've had the same problem as you describe (constant autoleveling ), after disconnecting rear sensor mentioned in the thread above, headlight don't auto level anymore on start-up until issue is fixed that is.

Currently I have everything fixed but have to wait with installation a bit more till weather gets warmer!

Good luck!
i talked with vihn on the phone about this isse, im fairly certain he did still search though. i forgot about your thread, i even posted in it. on me....so you dont even know if this is gonna fix your issue since you haven't installed it?

i looked back over some of your threads and didnt get a definitive answer... your auto-levelers will CONTINUE to adjust ALL the time? like when i get in my car and start the car, mine level down/up.....vinhs are doing this while he's driving down the road,parked,etc. this is what your's were/are doing?
Old 03-14-11, 11:53 AM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by airestonia
Check this thread out:

Good luck!
Lol. Did see this post but it did not answer my question and on top of that I want a permanent fix. Not bypassing or get by ( I assumed) thats what you were doing. Most posts were about leveling. Mine is why is it getting out of wack?
Old 03-15-11, 10:21 PM
DPK*David
Pole Position

I didnt have problems with mine I just accidently pulled the motor out. Once I put it back in it no longer auto adjusts on start up. If anyone has any info on that. I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 03-16-11, 06:38 AM
Philthy29
Driver School Candidate

In for the info/fix. Mine hasn't started doing it, but just in case.
Old 03-17-11, 01:50 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Sorry for the delay with the answer.

* My auto-leveling started acting weird, it started to level headlight beam while on the go, just as the user who started this thread describes.

* Before I disconnected the rear sensor my headlights have been doing the leveling routine on start-up.

I understood that the rear sensor is to blame after I examined the front sensor that at least looked OK.
The rear sensor didn't look so good, its bracket that is attached to rear "axle" (if I got the word right) has been broken, so there was no way it was giving the right reading. The bracket on the other side has been connected to the sensor but it didn't move at all, it was so rusty and all.
My understanding is as following, the sensor has been in more or less one position for a very long time, it rusted, but when I presumably loaded the trunk with some heavy stuff it had to move but cracked due to rust.

When I disconnected this rear sensor my headlights stopped doing the leveling routine on start-up and didn't auto-level at all time plus I naturally got the respective sign on the dashboard that the auto-leveling system is out of order.

When I took apart the sensor I also discovered that wires were torn apart, so even when the sensor has still been attached to the bracket as supposed to it still might have been giving wrong readings.

At the moment I got the bracket and the sensor fixed (wires and stuff are re-soldered) and I am still waiting for at least a little over 0 Celsius (I'm in northern Europe, it's still cold out here )

Hope I got all the questions answered, I will definitely report back when I have the sensor installed!

Good luck!
Old 03-17-11, 09:10 AM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by DPK*David
I didnt have problems with mine I just accidently pulled the motor out. Once I put it back in it no longer auto adjusts on start up. If anyone has any info on that. I would greatly appreciate it!

sometimes those are tricky to align, make sure you installed it correctly and the ball at the end of the motor is snapped in place.
Old 03-17-11, 01:40 PM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vnguyen850
sometimes those are tricky to align, make sure you installed it correctly and the ball at the end of the motor is snapped in place.
thank you!