GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Key Shells

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:42 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Shells

Looking for current information on replacing key shells. (One of my keys disintegrated trying to unlock my car) I did a search, nothing new since 2007. Can I simply replace the plastic parts using my existing key blade and remote or do I have to have a new blade cut? Replacement keys are available on 'bay for next to nothing, or from the Lexus dealers for $65.00, I would like to avoid the dealer route if possible, but I know you get what you pay for.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-28-11, 11:22 AM
baydriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to get a new shell. the shell and blade are one piece, so you'll have to get the new blade cut. just put the internal (3 button) into your new shell and your good to go
Old 03-28-11, 01:21 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
Looking for current information on replacing key shells. (One of my keys disintegrated trying to unlock my car) I did a search, nothing new since 2007. Can I simply replace the plastic parts using my existing key blade and remote or do I have to have a new blade cut? Replacement keys are available on 'bay for next to nothing, or from the Lexus dealers for $65.00, I would like to avoid the dealer route if possible, but I know you get what you pay for.
Thanks
Bill
Last summer I got one of the cheap 'bay shell/blade units and had it cut at a local locksmith. The locksmith needs to have a laser cutting jig and sometimes that's not easy or cheap to find. Also the key blades come in two different lengths. I unfortunately got the longer one, which still works but you just have extra key length for nothing in your pocket. The other thing I noticed was that the remote unit sits a little deeper in the shell of the 'bay units so it takes a little more effort to push the buttons.

I think I paid around $25-30 for key cutting and about $10 for the key/shell.
Old 03-28-11, 01:39 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Thanks for responding. This is what happens when you live in "PoDunkMiddleofNOEFFINWHERE!"; There are quite a few Lexus vehicles around here although the nearest dealer is 140 miles away. Apparently, none of these vehicles ever needs new keys made, all of the lock smith shops I have contacted say the same thing: "That's a high security key and you have to go to Seattle to get one made" so if I can't just get the plastic parts and put my key blade and the remote electronics in, I am going to get out the old JB Weld, fixed a LOT of stuff with that.
Old 03-28-11, 01:49 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

here you go man. all you need is your VIN number and they will send it to you already cut. I ordered 2 from them already. I live in florida so i got it the next day after i paid for it both times. They ship really fast so you should have it by the end of the week for sure if you buy today
Old 03-28-11, 03:09 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OT0814
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

here you go man. all you need is your VIN number and they will send it to you already cut. I ordered 2 from them already. I live in florida so i got it the next day after i paid for it both times. They ship really fast so you should have it by the end of the week for sure if you buy today
THANKS! Order for two placed. I owe you a beer.
Bill
Old 03-28-11, 05:23 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Osh to get my ebay key cut and they refused to do it.

Anyone know how much the dealerships charge to get a key cut in the LA area?
Old 03-28-11, 05:35 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Thanks for the link! Just ordered one.
Old 03-28-11, 10:17 PM
baydriver
Driver

Our keys can not just be cut by anyone, it need to be laser cut. Osh, homedepot, lowes do not have the proper equipment. You have to call your locksmith and ask them do they have the ability to cut lexus keys. 9 out of 10 local locksmith couldn't cut them for me. If you guys don't to get it on ebay, sewell can do it for $66.70 http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1998/2791.html
you must create an account to see CL discount.
Old 03-28-11, 10:28 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I went to Osh to get my ebay key cut and they refused to do it.

Anyone know how much the dealerships charge to get a key cut in the LA area?
Most dealer most likely won't cut 'em it if it's not from them. U being from Dallas, Sewell might do it though.
Old 03-29-11, 12:39 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Most dealer most likely won't cut 'em it if it's not from them. U being from Dallas, Sewell might do it though.
I'm from Los Angeles but thanks for the reply anyways.
Old 03-29-11, 12:39 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baydriver
Our keys can not just be cut by anyone, it need to be laser cut. Osh, homedepot, lowes do not have the proper equipment. You have to call your locksmith and ask them do they have the ability to cut lexus keys. 9 out of 10 local locksmith couldn't cut them for me. If you guys don't to get it on ebay, sewell can do it for $66.70 http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1998/2791.html
you must create an account to see CL discount.
Thanks alot.
Old 03-29-11, 04:24 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Sewell will do it for you at no charge if you can fax them the information they require to show that you do indeed own the car. I know a few people on here have gotten theirs done that way.
Old 03-29-11, 05:30 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

im sure the key quality is better from sewell tho. I ordered a second one from that ebay store cuz my key snapped as i was turning on my car. Just the blade was stuck in the ignition. However it is about half the price of sewell key and you dont have to fax over any information it just comes right to you already cut. They say they have a 90 day warranty on it and it sucks that mine broke like a month after that. Guess i have to be more careful and not use so much brute strength when i turn on my car lol
Old 03-29-11, 08:29 AM
flossabe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link I was needing as well!

Quick Reply: Key Shells