GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

need a estimate (car got keyed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 12:20 PM
trinimoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a estimate (car got keyed)

went to the supermarket yesterday with my mom, came out and could of cry on the spot , had so much emotions my mind couldn't process it....out of the hundreds of cars parked in the parking lot, i had to be the victim....smh tried getting some footage of the parking lot but they said there were no cameras around where my car was parked.....can anyone give me an estimate of how much it will cost to fix

Old 03-30-11, 01:10 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to see that. Not sure if we have any paint & body guys on the site.

I say drop by a local auto body shop and then check that price against your insurance deductible. Good luck.
Old 03-30-11, 01:49 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man .. I'm sorry to see that man. I have an uncle who does bodywork. I'll ask him how much a job like this would cost.
Old 03-30-11, 01:53 PM
trinimoe
Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Ouch. Sorry to see that. Not sure if we have any paint & body guys on the site.

I say drop by a local auto body shop and then check that price against your insurance deductible. Good luck.
thanks for the advice, think i'll take that route....
Old 03-30-11, 01:53 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

depending on shop 700-1200 for 3 panels. may or may not have to blend into rear quarter.
Old 03-30-11, 01:55 PM
trinimoe
Driver

Originally Posted by fuzzzz
Oh man .. I'm sorry to see that man. I have an uncle who does bodywork. I'll ask him how much a job like this would cost.
thanks it would be highly appreciated....
Old 03-30-11, 02:02 PM
trinimoe
Driver

thanks speedaddic....got to put my rims on hold because of some idle hand...smh
Old 03-30-11, 02:46 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

body work is an art, more so then a science. As such, the repairs are not really standardized.

Different bodyshops may go about the repair different ways which would affect cost and outcome.
So you may be able to repair with just some touchup and blending.
Or you may need to repaint all those panels.

As you can imagine these different procedures would result in drastically different prices.
However, the outcome of the touchup job may still come out pretty good, and something you can "live with" and make paying 5x for the full repaint not worth it.

So it all comes down to finding and choosing the local bodyshop that's going to do the work first, and then talk over your options with them.
Even if we give you an estimate, that's not what a shop in your area is going to charge.
Old 03-30-11, 02:51 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm sure someone in the Automotive Care & Detailing section could give you a more focused answer.
Old 03-30-11, 04:17 PM
trinimoe
Driver

thanks for all the advice.....
Old 03-30-11, 04:47 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

wow man that painful to look at, people got some nerve these days, im not sure how much it would run but its definitely not cheap to do it right.
Old 03-30-11, 04:48 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry for ur predicament. i was also keyed like that, but mine started at the front door and went all the way to the tail light. same side too
Old 03-30-11, 04:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

How deep is it? If it's not through the clear a good paint correction guy will make that scratch much less noticeable or completely eliminate it altogether if there's plenty of clear to play with and the scratch isn't too deep.
Old 03-30-11, 07:07 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

We have a body shop here in Hawaii, and I'd venture to say that it would be better to file a claim through your insurance. Typically Comprehensive claims like this won't affect your yearly premiums that you pay, therefore it would be cheaper to just pay your deductible. Also, if you choose to go through insurance, typically the repairs will come with a lifetime warranty (at least most insurance companies we work with offer that to their customers if the vehicle is repaired at one of their preferred shops). As far as the repairs, the shop will probably de-trim both doors, take the bumper and right head lamp off, rt rocker molding, and blend the right quarter panel too. The right tail lamp and rear bumper will probably have to come off too. At least that's what we'd do. Good luck
Old 03-30-11, 09:32 PM
trinimoe
Driver

Originally Posted by RLGS300
wow man that painful to look at, people got some nerve these days, im not sure how much it would run but its definitely not cheap to do it right.
yea it was really painful to look @, stood in the cold for some minutes just looking at it, wondering what the hell they got out of doing such a thing.

Originally Posted by 5t341th
sorry for ur predicament. i was also keyed like that, but mine started at the front door and went all the way to the tail light. same side too
idle hands are the tools of the devil...smh its gonna come back to them ten fold....

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
How deep is it? If it's not through the clear a good paint correction guy will make that scratch much less noticeable or completely eliminate it altogether if there's plenty of clear to play with and the scratch isn't too deep.
its deep enough to be taken to be repainted...

Originally Posted by Silver'04
We have a body shop here in Hawaii, and I'd venture to say that it would be better to file a claim through your insurance. Typically Comprehensive claims like this won't affect your yearly premiums that you pay, therefore it would be cheaper to just pay your deductible. Also, if you choose to go through insurance, typically the repairs will come with a lifetime warranty (at least most insurance companies we work with offer that to their customers if the vehicle is repaired at one of their preferred shops). As far as the repairs, the shop will probably de-trim both doors, take the bumper and right head lamp off, rt rocker molding, and blend the right quarter panel too. The right tail lamp and rear bumper will probably have to come off too. At least that's what we'd do. Good luck
Silver04 thanks for the advice gonna file a claim through the insurance, its my first approach to getting my first love back to the way she was....

Quick Reply: need a estimate (car got keyed)