GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 09:59 PM
kpyangz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint replacement

hi, whenever i push down on my front passenger side hood, my car squeaks and i asked someone, they said it was my ball joint...it is lowered on tien basic coilovers and was wondering if this is the problem...also when i turn the wheel my car makes a horrible squeaking noise, anyone know how much it cost to replace/fix this problem and identify the problem for sure? anything help thanks.
Old 04-05-11, 12:06 AM
bigwasum
Rookie

It sound like ball joint going out, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-pictures.html change them asap or risk the chance of spending more when it fails and cause body damage aswell.
Old 04-05-11, 06:56 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change your ball joints ASAP!
Old 04-05-11, 07:25 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be your ball joints or your outer tie rods, or even your upper control arms. I also wouldn't rule out your shocks/teins.

If you turn right or left and hear creaking/cracking/squeaking and the car is rolling at a low speed then its your ball joints. Advance/Autozone sells them for around $100 tax inc for the front pair. Outer tie rods; $100/pair, upper control arms; $500 for the pair. You can get some discount codes thru slickdeals.net for advance ($35 off of a $100 purchase) plus some other good ones.

If you plan to go oem -- sewellpartsonline.com with the clublexus discount account is your best bet.

Its pretty easy to change out the suspension parts. The only special tool you'll need is a pitman arm puller ($10 tool) and basic wrenches/sockets.
Old 04-06-11, 03:22 PM
kpyangz
Driver School Candidate

thanks you guys, but i am no machanic and was wondering if anyone knows a cheap place around sacramento or does anyone actually knows how to do it ill be willing to pay for labor and parts
Old 04-07-11, 08:35 AM
starfyrels

If you fly me out to cali -- I'll do it for free 99.

Haha.
Old 04-07-11, 11:54 AM
kpyangz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by starfyrels
If you fly me out to cali -- I'll do it for free 99.

Haha.
lol i dont know about that one, where do you live...anyways you think goodyear does it?
Old 04-07-11, 12:53 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kpyangz
lol i dont know about that one, where do you live...anyways you think goodyear does it?
Any and every mechanic shop can do this. I bet some exhaust shops and body shops would even do it. Pretty simple as far as repairs go.

Not sure if you are in North or South Cali but you should hit up the regional forum and see if you can get some referrals or members to help you do it or do it for you.
Old 04-08-11, 06:29 AM
starfyrels

Originally Posted by kpyangz
Im in FL man. haha.

You can fly me outta tampa to la.

Good year will do it, but to be on your safe side i would just take a bet and also have them provide the parts to you unless you can get in writing that they will warranty the parts you provide. Call around and get some quotes from diff shops.
Old 04-08-11, 11:27 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

go to any shop that works on chassis/suspension.

Mainly if they have an Alignment machine, this is a sign they can do this work all in-house. If they promote other services such as shocks/springs stuff (or where you got your tein coilovers), that's another sign they specialize in chassis work.

Any shop calling itself full-service maintenance/repair can do it too, but they'll subcontract out and go next door to get an alignment for you.

That being said, while changing your balljoints is good idea generally, I'm not entirely convinced that is the cause or will solve the issue of your squeak. Sounds like you may just need some lubrication somewhere.
Old 04-08-11, 01:12 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starfyrels
It could be your ball joints or your outer tie rods, or even your upper control arms. I also wouldn't rule out your shocks/teins.
+2 i also recommend checking your coilovers first before a shop starts telling you it's all your bushings and that you have to replace this and that BS.. i've had a new set of Tein SS before it started squeaking real bad a few months after..Though i'm not sure how the basics are adjusted in terms of height others have come across noises when they've messed with the preload to go lower. i'd go back to the shop that installed them and have them figure out what it is or even try seeing if the sound still continues with the stock struts.. that way you could rule out that it's not the coilovers before you start spending money on new arms or bushings. hope you figure out what it is though because i know how annoying it could be.. but like everyone else says, change the ball joints regardless.