GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow i had to pay $600 at the dmv!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 03:44 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my 2002 GS430 last year for 10K, it was still registered until March 2011, i got the renewal on the mail and was only supposed to pay $176.00 plus personalized licensed plate of $38, i was late for 3 days and ended up paying a total of $245.. i am not sure how does DMV do their calculation when it comes on car registration.
With the $601 you paid, does that included the TAXES and DMV fees?
Taxes on vehicle registration is not base on bluebook value.. it is base on declared value of the vehicles multiply by the current sales tax on which city you live in.
If the declared value of the car is $3000.00, the tax on those would be around $300.00 depending on what city you live in.
So the $600 you paid is just about the correct amount.
Old 04-13-11, 04:16 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Some places will go by KBB value if you 'value' your own car too low during registration. As someone else mentioned before I haven't run into that in FL yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 04-13-11, 04:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
What difference does it make to the government the value of your car? They don't have any ownership of it? It's not like your land which is owned by the govt' and you're just paying rent (property tax) on it. Isn't there a state which charges a low flat rate fee to register your car? I swear I remember hearing about that. Either way, it should be like that for every state.

Yea I think it's stupid that they're taxing us on used goods, but you know the government... they like to screw us over so that they can make more money. KBB shouldn't dictate the value of my car... only the buyer and seller can do that.
Old 04-13-11, 04:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

KBB is just for reference. I'm not aware that the government uses it on us.
Old 04-13-11, 04:58 PM
BigSexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got my 01 gs430 mid last year and registration was already paid, if I get a $300+ renewal Im gona be pissed. Its amazing how much all of us pay pay pay yet the entire nation is broke.....the states and govt blow it all like a 500 fico borrower with a million dollar credit line!
Old 04-13-11, 05:13 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

Originally Posted by pinoiryder
i bought my 2002 GS430 last year for 10K, it was still registered until March 2011, i got the renewal on the mail and was only supposed to pay $176.00 plus personalized licensed plate of $38, i was late for 3 days and ended up paying a total of $245.. i am not sure how does DMV do their calculation when it comes on car registration.
With the $601 you paid, does that included the TAXES and DMV fees?
Taxes on vehicle registration is not base on bluebook value.. it is base on declared value of the vehicles multiply by the current sales tax on which city you live in.
If the declared value of the car is $3000.00, the tax on those would be around $300.00 depending on what city you live in.
So the $600 you paid is just about the correct amount.
Yes i believe that includes everything i went their thinking it was going to be like $300 or $400 at most so i was shocked when the lady said $600.I bought the car for $6000 so i thought i had got a good deal but turns out it was not that good of a deal because of this and i still have to do the 90k service.Thanks also for all your guys' input.
Old 04-13-11, 08:13 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
You are lucky youre in California. I just moved to Vegas from LA. My DMV cost was 488. And I just paid 400 to California 4 months ago. This is on a 4year old RX350.
File with the state that you have moved and registered your vehicle in another state. They should prorate a refund to you per CA DMV laws.

To the OP - you lied and had to pay a bit more than you expected. Sounds like karma to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't like big government digging in on us, but openly admitting you lied about what you paid just to get out of a small amount of taxes could be a motivating factor for them to try and squeeze people harder.

Big Mack
Old 04-14-11, 02:50 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big Mack
File with the state that you have moved and registered your vehicle in another state. They should prorate a refund to you per CA DMV laws.

To the OP - you lied and had to pay a bit more than you expected. Sounds like karma to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't like big government digging in on us, but openly admitting you lied about what you paid just to get out of a small amount of taxes could be a motivating factor for them to try and squeeze people harder.

Big Mack
Relax mr. perfect like you never lied before in your life lol...
Old 04-14-11, 03:08 PM
Jun2
Driver

^^^^ hahahaha
Old 04-14-11, 04:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Relax mr. perfect like you never lied before in your life lol...
Mr. Perfect? Wow. I never said I was a saint, nor was I even the slightest bit excited, but you're complaining about something that isn't anything just because you had to pay a little more than you thought. $200 isn't the end of the world, and it's not like the DMV doesn't publish what the fees are...

Move to AZ where you pay taxes on the purchase, then on the reg fee, too. My first pop was over $650. It's still almost $200, and another $100 for the DD.

There is no crying in baseball...

Big Mack
Old 04-14-11, 05:52 PM
bighead222
Pole Position

Wink re

im down here in Miami and only paided less then a hundred to transfer tittles the guy i brought it from we put it was a gift and i didnt have to pay any taxs lol
Old 04-14-11, 05:55 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

the workers @ the DMV are B******
Old 04-14-11, 11:55 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

wow then i got straight rap here with out so much a date rap drug i paid including all the dmv fee close $980
Old 04-15-11, 03:15 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Mr. Perfect? Wow. I never said I was a saint, nor was I even the slightest bit excited, but you're complaining about something that isn't anything just because you had to pay a little more than you thought. $200 isn't the end of the world, and it's not like the DMV doesn't publish what the fees are...

Move to AZ where you pay taxes on the purchase, then on the reg fee, too. My first pop was over $650. It's still almost $200, and another $100 for the DD.

There is no crying in baseball...

Big Mack
Who said i was crying i was merely expressing my frustration with CA outrageous dmv taxes and trying to see what others had to pay to whom it may concern!!!
Old 04-15-11, 09:45 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Who said i was crying
Ahem...

I feel like i got ripped.
And I reiterate my previous statements because they were based on this:

P.S i also put that i paid $3000 for the car
I bought the car for $6000 so i thought i had got a good deal but turns out it was not that good of a deal because of this and i still have to do the 90k service.
i went their thinking it was going to be like $300 or $400 at most
You didn't get a bad deal. You got what you should have gotten. It's not like the DMV worker said "Look at this guy. I'm going to rake him over the coals, tell him it's $600 and cop $200 out of it."

You asked for input, I gave what I thought. Here's a tip - keep the receipt with the breakdown of your taxes paid. Write it off your taxes next year (consult with a tax pro on this).

Big Mack

Quick Reply: Wow i had to pay $600 at the dmv!!