GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow i had to pay $600 at the dmv!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 07:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

boo hoo , i would have gladly paid $600..... i bought my car in 2007 out of state so when i came back to my state and went to register it i had to pay taxes on it since i didnt when i bought it,title,license, registration,etc etc and this was when our cars still had a good value to them (i mean in the 20-30k range) when all was said and done, i paid several thousand bucks (i think it was close to 4k or something like that)
Old 04-16-11, 08:24 AM
TimWalker
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid 6k for my 99 gs400 out of texas and registered here in new mexico and I only paid 200 maybe it wasn't too high because I had a bill of sale stating I paid 4500
Old 04-20-11, 05:41 AM
billzblaze
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Ahem...

And I reiterate my previous statements because they were based on this:

You didn't get a bad deal. You got what you should have gotten. It's not like the DMV worker said "Look at this guy. I'm going to rake him over the coals, tell him it's $600 and cop $200 out of it."

You asked for input, I gave what I thought. Here's a tip - keep the receipt with the breakdown of your taxes paid. Write it off your taxes next year (consult with a tax pro on this).

Big Mack
Yea ok but damn i didnt post this to get criticized i was just trying to see what others were paying in CA.I just think its pretty expensive being that were in a so called recession.
Old 04-20-11, 07:03 AM
Xr2GS300
Driver School Candidate

i hope hawaii never gets that bad..i pay about 236 for registration
Old 04-20-11, 06:24 PM
GsOnDubZ
Driver School Candidate

that sounds way too high ,sounds like u had back pay for your tags involved
Old 04-22-11, 01:39 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole thing drives me nuts. The worst part about it is the highway patrol. After you have paid the government all this money for your right to use the roads and help pay for them what do they do? They say oh hey let's double dip and pull the people over who are paying for all of this and extract more money from them! Total Sheriff of Nottingham move!
Old 04-22-11, 02:48 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
You asked for input, I gave what I thought. Here's a tip - keep the receipt with the breakdown of your taxes paid. Write it off your taxes next year (consult with a tax pro on this).

Big Mack
You don't need to consult with a tax pro. It's a common deduction. If you are NOT doing this, you're leaving money on the table.

Turbotax or equivilant will specifically query "did you pay any vehicle registration taxes" and/or "did you buy or sell a vehicle?" for sales tax; and you follow their prompts to get the proper deduction(s) entered.

If you go to CA DMV website they specifically have a page to lookup the vehicle tax amount for your vehicle for the past 3years specifically just to help owners with their tax claims(Not all of the total you paid counts as the deduction).
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/vlfForm.do

Last edited by raytseng; 04-22-11 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 06:08 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Yea ok but damn i didnt post this to get criticized i was just trying to see what others were paying in CA.I just think its pretty expensive being that were in a so called recession.
You asked for input - you should expect it both ways. We don't sugar coat it around here most of the time.

Originally Posted by Bradwillia
The whole thing drives me nuts. The worst part about it is the highway patrol. After you have paid the government all this money for your right to use the roads and help pay for them what do they do? They say oh hey let's double dip and pull the people over who are paying for all of this and extract more money from them! Total Sheriff of Nottingham move!
You pay for the privilege of using the roads. They don't double dip when they pull you over for a legitimate reason - such as speeding, broken headlight/tailllight, etc. You agree by driving on the road that you will follow the rules. You break them, you pay for it. That's not double dipping. Double dipping would be paying to speed at 10 over and getting pulled over for doing so.

Originally Posted by raytseng
You don't need to consult with a tax pro. It's a common deduction. If you are NOT doing this, you're leaving money on the table.

Turbotax or equivilant will specifically query "did you pay any vehicle registration taxes" and/or "did you buy or sell a vehicle?" for sales tax; and you follow their prompts to get the proper deduction(s) entered.

If you go to CA DMV website they specifically have a page to lookup the vehicle tax amount for your vehicle for the past 3years specifically just to help owners with their tax claims(Not all of the total you paid counts as the deduction).
I know it's a common deduction and you know it's a common deduction, but not everyone does it and I've met many who have no idea that there are taxes in part of the registration, or that your whole fee cannot be deducted. That's why I said to talk with someone who knows (that and I don't want to purport to be an expert for every state ).

Big Mack
Old 04-22-11, 07:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one time when we in Hawaii can be happy that we don't have to pay taxes on used car purchases and to transfer title and registration at time of purchase it only cost us $10 It's about time we finally are cheaper for something.
Old 04-24-11, 07:52 PM
Dee8
Driver

Interesting, I just did a sale transfer about a month ago (in CA) with a listed sale price of $5000 (bought it for $8000) and they only did the normal sales tax, so I paid a little under $500 after tax and transfer fee. I believe KBB would've listed it around 7k-8k