GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS300 CEL p1349 dealer says new ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 08:21 PM
ekoslik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS300 CEL p1349 dealer says new ECU?

Hello CL members,
I have a 99 GS300 that is showing p1349, VVTI malfunction and noticed this problem throughout the forums but I still have a few questions and hopefully someone can shed some light. A bit of background on the car first.. I originally was experiencing problems with the car misfiring when warm, running sluggish, had a few fishbites (jerks) and an intermittent check engine light. Brought it to Lexus for diag. and found out the #5 cylinder was burnt. Sent the heads to be machined and replaced the VVTI Control, Cam Shaft Sensor, and Oil Control Valve (small filter, for 7 bucks I didn't bother having the mechanic clean it) all parts OEM and heads machined to spec. After all of this the car drives like new but the CEL is still throwing code p1349. I brought the car to the dealer today for yet another diag. and was told they "recommend" to replace the ECU because it is not sending a signal to turn on the OCV, but it did respond when 12V were applied. Additionally, the wires from the ECU to the Valve were checked and did have continuity with no shorts. Does this sound correct to any of you?
I'm a bit hesitant to accept their "recommendation" because it was also recommended that I replace my 5 day old serpentine belt due to wear to the tune of $250.00 (I obviously laughed at them and declined) and was told I received a hand wash and vacuum but miraculously they missed all the dirt in and on the car
If this all is correct and I do need a new ECU I refuse to pay approx $1,500 for it. I have searched the local salvage yards and found Denso OEM ECU's in wrecks for under $220 and new ones in the $400-$600 range but when searching the forums I have noticed that it's not simply plug-and-play and I would need to have the original key to make them work in my car. Would it be possible to have Lexus program my current keys to work with the new/used ECU?? Sorry for the long post but this is a bit over my head and I would love to get out of this as cheap as possible, I'm already a few thousand in the hole and a basic understanding of the process of changing out the ECU would help greatly.

Much appreciated
EK
Old 04-14-11, 08:31 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

There are a few threads about this if you search. But from what i recall, the OCV is clogged. Just needs to be cleaned, if bad enough, perhaps be replaced.
Old 04-14-11, 08:35 PM
ekoslik
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I did search and none of the threads really cover anything beyond the OCV. I already replaced the OCV instead of having it cleaned because it was 7 bucks for the new OCV. My problem apparently lies in the ECU not sending a signal to the new OCV, the valve works correctly when direct 12v current is applied. My question is does this sound correct ( replacing the ECU) and what steps would need to be taken to have my current keys work on a used ECU.

Last edited by ekoslik; 04-15-11 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 01:17 PM
150kPlus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ekoslik
Unfortunately I did search and none of the threads really cover anything beyond the OCV. I already replaced the OCV instead of having it cleaned because it was 7 bucks for the new OCV. My problem apparently lies in the ECU not sending a signal to the new OCV, the valve works correctly when direct 12v current is applied. My question is does this sound correct ( replacing the ECU) and what steps would need to be taken to have my current keys work on a used ECU.
I had the similar issues with the exception that my mechanic did not think the ECU was the problem. As indicated below, I replaced the OCV and cleaned the sludge from the various camshaft and its related sensors and areas so that OCV and ECU may read/connect the signal without the blockage from the sludge.

Please see my experience posted in a different section. Good luck.

Hello;

This my first posting and hope to be my last, to the threads as it's time for me to share my experience for the benefit of others.

My Car: 2002 GS 430, 145k miles

Codes: P1346 & P1349 VVT Malfuntion (Bank 1).

Symptons: CEL, VSC/Off lights on and intermitten rough idle

Work Done:

Mechanic 1: Cleaned the VVTi Sensor and checked for potential problems, replaced 2 Camshaft Position Sensors, labor $195 Parts $175. No fix.

Mechanic 2: Replaced spark plug; flushed oil, removed and cleaned air cleaner housing, ignition coils, trottle body, $300 Total, no fix.

Mechanic 2 (again): Replaced VVT OCV and removed drive belt, idler pully, timing cover, valve cover, camshaft cap, replaced valve cover gasket, $620. Problem appears to be fixed so far for 2 days.

I hope this message will save you or someone some cost of my total $1,290 incurred and days of frustration from simple (at least I thought) intermitten idle, Check engine light, and VSC lights on. Good luck.....
Old 04-16-11, 02:11 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I kinda find it unlikely that the ecu is at fault, and this is the only function your having an issue with. Usually you'll have a bunch of problems or a non-running car if the ecu is at fault. But anything is possible.

But yes if you install a different ecu with an immobilizer you would have to have the keys programmed for it at the dealer, and it's not cheap.
Old 04-18-11, 08:57 PM
ekoslik
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply's 99GS and 150K. I also feel the same way about the ECU being bad in that it is strange for it to only affect one area of the car but according to the service manual another Lexus tech showed me (different Lexus dealership), the last culprit is the ECU since every other thing related to tripping that particular code has been replaced. As it stands now I found a used ECU w/ a 3 mo. warranty ($200) that is a match for my GS. Hoffman Lexus in East Hartford, CT is doing the install, re-flashing, and key reprogram for $228 next week, which I feel is reasonable. Hopefully this takes care of the issue because other than the CEL being on, there is absolutely no symptoms of anything being wrong with the car. Additionally, if it doesn't fix the issue I can return the ECU and get a refund so i'll only be out $228 as opposed to $1500. I'll be sure to update once the install is finished and hopefully be able to save someone a few hundred bucks at the dealer if this resolve's the issue.

- Also it might be noteworthy for some of you since I saw multiple threads stating the ECU could not be re-flashed and/or new keys were required that I was told by the Tech and Svc. manager @ Hoffman Lexus that ANY ECU can be re-flashed and programed to any Lexus key as long as there is a valid registration and it is the correct ECU for the make/model.