GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Orange Auto-leveling headlight indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 12:48 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

Pull the cluster and remove the bulb if everything else is working. It only takes about 5 minutes
Old 11-01-19, 12:21 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
This was the most recent thread I could find on the Auto Leveling Light Indicator.

I have a 98 GS400 that came with OEM HIDs. Everything worked fine, but I wanted retrofits, so I bought LS460 retros from a member that were retrofitted into OEM housings and retained the autoleveling. Everything was working fine for awhile, but I took it into a shop to get them to take it apart and realign one of the projectors since it had come loose. They initially couldn't get the retros to autolevel correctly (go down, up, and then settle) because of how the original owner placed it or something. Both sides would move up and down on their own and when it settled, the cutoff line kept getting thrown off. I asked around, and a 2GS guy said he just disconnected the motors, which I told the shop to do. That fixed the problem, but now I have the light on my dash. The 2GS guy I asked said that he never had any lights on his dash. From what I can tell, only one plug was disconnected on each side for me, but he said there were two plugs disconnected on his driver side and one on the passenger side.

Anyone run into this? What other plug needs to be unplugged?

Have you tried adjusting the screws for the cutoff after the headlight settled??? After you do any retro you have to readjust them.
Old 11-03-19, 08:38 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
This was the most recent thread I could find on the Auto Leveling Light Indicator.

I have a 98 GS400 that came with OEM HIDs. Everything worked fine, but I wanted retrofits, so I bought LS460 retros from a member that were retrofitted into OEM housings and retained the autoleveling. Everything was working fine for awhile, but I took it into a shop to get them to take it apart and realign one of the projectors since it had come loose. They initially couldn't get the retros to autolevel correctly (go down, up, and then settle) because of how the original owner placed it or something. Both sides would move up and down on their own and when it settled, the cutoff line kept getting thrown off. I asked around, and a 2GS guy said he just disconnected the motors, which I told the shop to do. That fixed the problem, but now I have the light on my dash. The 2GS guy I asked said that he never had any lights on his dash. From what I can tell, only one plug was disconnected on each side for me, but he said there were two plugs disconnected on his driver side and one on the passenger side.

Anyone run into this? What other plug needs to be unplugged?

What up bro,
I don't have my diagrams in front of me but isn't the headlamp system part of the multiplex/can-bus system? Do non-hid equipped GS's have auto level? Can't remember but you may have to pop out a fuse or a relay to make the light go away or you could just remove the bulb.
Anyway, one reason that you may be having problems with the 460's is that they are too heavy for the beam leveling motors. After they settle any bump you hit in the road will force the 460's to push the motors downward. Hence the beam never lining up. You may have to trim some material from the 460's to make them lighter.
Old 12-19-19, 01:59 PM
karolgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

As you suggested, I removed the Auto-leveling headlight indicator light.
The problem is that all others indicator lights around that one are not working - for example the "power/snow" light, door light etc

What I did wrong? I removed whole light. Should I disassembly it?

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1DVlOr...-wki-deski.jpg

Thanks

EDIT: resolved, I found that the "sponge" under the cluster was missing, now it is ok.

Last edited by karolgt; 12-22-19 at 04:08 PM.