GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wrong Fluid in Power Steering reservoir??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 09:42 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wrong Fluid in Power Steering reservoir??

whats up guys I did a little digging under the hood today, after looking in the manual AND searching on here in regards to power steering fluids. ( I planned on getting all fluids changed)
I looked and it says that Tranny fluid should be used in the pump. Now, I have had this car since about Feb of 2010. and I usually check to see if the fluid is at a decent level and then I close back the cap. Today I really realized that the fluid in there is standard power steering fluid and not ATF that is recommended.

Now the pump isn't leaking or anything but I am kind of wondering about the damage that probably could have been done. Who knows how long the previous owner hasn't been using ATF for the P/S pump.

So do you guys think that damage could be already done? I know these 1UZ's are infamous with their P/S leaks. (My old LS400 had a leak and about damn near every LS with the 1UZ engine that went to my mechanic had a P/S leak)

Maybe that could be the reason my steering is so stiff?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-11, 03:12 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe ATF and PS fluid are that much different. I have been using Toyota ATF in my PS without any problems.
Old 05-11-11, 10:16 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

I'm not sure if you understood my post, but apparently with these cars, you are supposed to use ATF and my car is only using regular power steering fluid and I'm not sure for how long this has been going on.

They must have said to use ATF for a reason.
Old 05-11-11, 10:24 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh sorry, I misread your post...

To be sure, flush the system and put ATF in there. If the PS fluid is thicker than the ATF it might have an impact on the stiffness of your steering.
Old 05-11-11, 10:31 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

you need to be precise with your terms.

The cap doesn't just say to use ATF, it says to use Dexron II or III ATF. This particular specification is a pretty basic ATF which is a hydraulic fluid.

Also how do you know the previous owner used the wrong fluid, unless you are talking about your own goof in the 3rd person? The factory fill of the powersteering can be clear or yellowish. it isn't necessarily red.

Regular power steering fluid, also is a generic term, so it's unknown exactly what fluid got used here. It may be exactly or very close as Dexron III. But even generic Power steering fluid is also basically hydraulic fluid which for intents and purposes will work in the system, but might just be not quite the right spec.

I don't think it's going to be damaged. It's unknown if this is the cause of your tight steering, the previous owner may have messed with the pretensioner or other parts of the steering as well.

The LS400 power steering consumption had to do with a vacuum system valve that was sucking in the fluid rather than the fluid itself, so I don't think the same thing will happen.

If you're worried, you swap out the fluid. You can do this yourself easily just by slowly sucking out and replacing fluid in the reservoir until say you work your way through 2quarts of new fluid. Remember you can use better fluid than the minimum dexron III now in terms of the newer synthetic fluid that won't break down.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-11-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-11-11, 10:57 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Since I bought the car I havent changed any fluids other than engine oil.
Lol so definitely not me.

Well I am used to the tranny fluid being cherry red, so when I opened up the cap and saw something other than cherry red, I assumed it wasn't the toyota tranny fluid in there. It looked like actual power steering fluid..

And what is currently better than dexron III?
Old 05-11-11, 11:13 AM
raytseng
Instructor

if it's clear/slightly yellowish, I think it's more likely that it's just the original factory powersteering fluid, as even generic "power steering fluid" you buy in the store comes dyed red.

You do not need anything "better" than dexron III. But basically everything is already "better" because dexIII is pretty basic. You can go to your local auto store and find all your favorite brands are there, mobil1/valvoline/shell/castrol/ etc etc.

You may need to look on the back to see that it is DexIII compatible, but my point is you don't need to look for a bottle that is labelled specifically DexIII.

Most labelled Multi-vehicle will say exceeds DexIII or GM-compatible prior to 200x, or you can get something like a Dex VI which will have on the back exceeds DexIII.

In fact, if you actually got a bottle labeled "power steering fluid" for GM vehicles, it'd probably work perfectly too (and may even say on the back for dex III power steering)

Avoid the newest ATFs that will say not Dexron compatible-these are only for new transmissions and not for use in our power steering..

If you're drain(or suck)/filling, you can get 1 bottle of the cheapest dexIII compatible ATF for maybe $3, and 1 bottle of "synthetic" fancier ones for maybe $9 and sacrifice the first bottle for the beginning of your multiple drain(or suck)/fills. This will save you maybe $5. Or you can splurge and just get 2 bottles of synthetic. Running 2 bottles through may be a bit over the top, and wasting good fluid, but it'll make you feel better.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-11-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-11-11, 01:37 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

just siphon out the old stuff and put in some dexIII as others have recommended... i myself have switched to amsoil ATF...
Old 05-11-11, 01:41 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I siphon mine out using turkey baster. Turning the steering wheel left to right a couple of times. Till you see the color changes to the fluid you're using. Good luck!

Last edited by lexybaby77; 05-12-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 01:53 PM
raytseng
Instructor

I think just do this suck/fill procedure every day(after your commute) or every week or however often you remember ;until you run through however much fluid you want to swap out.
Old 05-11-11, 03:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I used the pump top off of an old soap bottle and squirted it into a gas container. This thread made me go out and do it again since I haven't in a long while.
Old 05-11-11, 03:44 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I used the pump top off of an old soap bottle and squirted it into a gas container. This thread made me go out and do it again since I haven't in a long while.
Hey that's a good idea. I might try that next time.
Old 05-11-11, 04:22 PM
raytseng
Instructor

you can use any sucking device, like the nozzle from a squirt bottle will work too, or typically a diff oil pump. Will take you longer though...
I use an oil extractor for oil changes, and suck the PS every oil change.
Old 05-11-11, 04:49 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

so just do it from the top? dont drain it from the bottom of the car?
Old 05-11-11, 04:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
Hey that's a good idea. I might try that next time.
Worked like a charm for me.

Quick Reply: Wrong Fluid in Power Steering reservoir??