GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Could i buy a GS300 and make it as fast as the 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02 | 08:19 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by I QuiKSilvR I
Im considering getting a turbo slapped onto my motor but don't know if there is any kits out there. . Another plan was to swap in the Supra turbo motor. . Shops i was considering in doing ths job were CarTune, EL Prototypes, or SP engineering. . any feedback will be great. . . When i tell my friends that i want to turbocharge my car, they disagree and say that my car is for cruishing only. . All of them have sports cars and everything, all boosted, excepted mines. . My goal is to beat my friends in a race with 3 passengers in the car while they are watching a movie and the system bumpin! ! haha, that'll be so cool. .
an engine swap with a supra won't do much because you basically have the engine that a N/A supra has. SRT at www.swiftracing.com has turbos and superchargers for whichever GS you have. they have a vendor forum here as well; just go down the main forum page. anyhow, swaps are too spendy and require a lot of work and guts. this ain't no common V-tec swap. and yeah, that would be cool alright.

diesel,

many people actually wait until they have a high-mileage car, or essentially wait until the factory warranty is gone. i don't know a lick about true turbo use, so just have your friend drive down to SRT and chat it out with them. just the talk and seeing what's there is worth the trip
Old 09-10-02 | 03:57 AM
I QuiKSilvR I
Driver

hey bravo261, thanks for the feedback. . I agree with you about the motor swap. I know that i basically have an N/A supra motor. I was just considering the motor swap because i have a friend who swapped in a supra TT motor and pushing 500HP as of now and i know it's not no common honda swap. I know it takes time and patient. When my friend got his car down, it was horrible to see all those wires just hanging there but in the end, it was worth it but next thing u know, he sold the car and got a R32 skyline which i may add is awesome. . but anyways, i'll check out that site you mentioned, thanks dude. .
Old 09-10-02 | 06:25 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

great, you know the costs and benefits of taking the high road. i didn't mean to make it sound as if you were clueless, its just that swaps are scary as hell if any one thing is overlooked.

but definitely check out the turbo from SRT, and those guys really look like they know what they're doing. most here have the SRT intake and only praise their products versus competitors. again, don't forget their forum here under the vendor forum. good luck
Old 09-10-02 | 07:23 AM
NateInJapan
Rookie

Arrow what's my car worth...

(sounds like a dumb question, huh....)

What would my car be worth if I ship it to the States when I come home early 2004? It's a 93' Aristo V - I have it hooked up with exhuast, intake, intercooler, wheels, boost control, turbo timer, Tein HA suspension, and the list goes on. I also have a kit on it although it's not in this pic. A system is coming soon. This car is dependable, pimpable, and very fast. So does anyone know what it would be worth?
Attached Thumbnails Could i buy a GS300 and make it as fast as the 430-ray-s-aristo.jpg  
Old 09-10-02 | 07:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

sorry, but what the hell could we know about the value of your car. that's a major one-off and not easy to measure. especially with some serious mods, but does that increase or decrease value? that's just too unique to give even a decent guess, i think.

here's a small hint...X-tnsiv on CL has some twin-turboed NSX from japan, with japanese plates still, and says he got it for the $30k range. i don't know the year or condition, but i thought it'd go for a little more considering the speed and true rarity
Old 09-10-02 | 02:07 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

DIESELMAN63

SRT will do an inspection on your car, before they install the turbo to see if there are any foreseeable problems, and since they only tune Lexus cars, the techs are extremely knowledgable about Lexus brand. Anyway, you may want to talk to Moe, and field some questions. I know a couple of guys with GS3's that are thinking about making that jump to SRT Turbo. Now, as far as bang for buck, you can't beat getting a 300+rwhp car for $4000.

Lee
Old 09-10-02 | 02:22 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

well if you do a custom turbo setup it can get costly. My brother drives a 91 SC300 and he did a cusotm turbo setup from toyomotors. It ran him a extremely hefty some...alot more then the 4k that pple are talkin about. I honestly dont kno too much of what he has in there, since he lives out east and i am on the west coast and we dont see each other much. The only way i even found out that he turboed his car was when i was talkin to him on his cell fone and all of a sudden i hear the PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTT of the blow off valve. but he is on this board, rarely now but u can PM him if you want, i think his name on the board is Wolfy187. But from wat he told me he had 100k+ miles when he did the install and everything is running fine.

Boris
Old 09-10-02 | 02:48 PM
aldo23
Pole Position

bravo261,thanks for your help. But in actuality it seemed like my question spawned into something else. To my understanding,you said and maybe others(I didnt read all b/c some were for other things) that you can save some $ by buying a chip, or turbo, correct? Is it worth it...Will I have any engine problems, will it void the warranty(b/c in Acura there pretty leanient on things like that, considering what I have in my car)?
Old 09-10-02 | 04:43 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by aldo23
bravo261,thanks for your help. But in actuality it seemed like my question spawned into something else. To my understanding,you said and maybe others(I didnt read all b/c some were for other things) that you can save some $ by buying a chip, or turbo, correct? Is it worth it...Will I have any engine problems, will it void the warranty(b/c in Acura there pretty leanient on things like that, considering what I have in my car)?
i'n not fully sure of what you are saying here. but the basic answer to you initial question of whether a 300 could beat a 430 given the same amount of money, the answer is yes, and you would have to turbo your car. as others have said, SRT knows the lexus cars well and i don't doubt their quality, or at least their commitment to service. so, it will be reliable. and it will be PLENTY fast enough to handle a 430, even with some good mods. and the best part is that it'll cost you only $4000 plus install, about $550 and up. a chip, or new ECU will come with the turbo, and included in the price already. and you'll be kissing your warranty goodbye.

if you have the money to do it, then i say freakin do it ASAP. and let us all know how it goes. there've been a alot of talkers(myself so far) and a lot of 430/400 guys still saying that the 300 guys will never do it.
Old 09-10-02 | 05:12 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

bravo261 - Nicely Stated!

aldo23 - I think that Bravo answered your question as much as it can be answered. As far as it being worth it, you have to factor in things like: the extra care you will have to give a turboed car, the price of a turbo $4000; the negatives of a turbo install (for example: since you have bigger injectors, you will have to monitor your fuel gauge instead of relying on the fuel gauge, you HAVE to get your oil changed religously with premium synthetic, and you can kiss your factory warranty goodbye); yet also factor in the positives: 1. you will beat most stock sport cars out there 2. the unique factor of owning a turboed Lexus, 3. the surprised look of that corvette C5 owner when you blow past him! lol

As far as reliability, if you maintain a turbo correctly, it can last over 80,000 miles no problem, and Lexus/Toyota engines are built to last. You just have weigh in what you want. If you want to have a "sports car" killer, and still keep your luxury aspect, get the turbo.
Old 09-15-02 | 06:33 PM
aldo23
Pole Position

Thanks for the help, again...