GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help on INNER TIE ROD END

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 11:39 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on INNER TIE ROD END

Wasup guy so i finished installing almost all the components to my suspensions including New shocks all im missing now is the inner tie rod ends!! My first question is, are both sides the same? and can someone pleas write me a step by step on how to remove them and instal, Thanks it will really be appreciated i have to do the work tomorrow as i have off work, Thank god lolz so yea hope someone can help me out.
Old 05-13-11, 06:44 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need an inner tie rod removal tool. They're expensive ($70) and I dont think auto parts stores rent them out. Once you get in there you'll see what Im talking about. You can go to harborfreight, buy it, use it and then return it. I'd also get a torque wrench with a log handle unless you have a breaker bar already.

Basically you need to remove the outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod.

To test if your inner tie rods are bad all you need to so is move them freely, and make sure that they don't move from the position you've rested them at; i.e. if you move the rod up or around to a certain spot and it stays up or at that spot then you dont need to change them. If they drop from the initial position you rest them at then read on.

Then you need to remove the clips that are holding the inner tie rod boots on.

Next you'll see the exposed inner tie rod. Once you see this you'll see that there is a bent crush washer that is holding the tie rod in place from moving. What you need to do is get a flat head screw driver or chisel and hammer back the bend in the washer so that the washer looks flat. Theres two places; 12 and 6 respectively.

Once thats done; take the inner tie rod removal tool and remove it.

Then inspect the area; and place your new inner rods on the same was as removal. Don't forget the holding washer. once everything is torqued to spec (read up) and in place, take a small wrench or small ratchet etc and hammer the crush washer in so that it locks in place just as it was before (locked position).

Replace everything in reverse order of removal.

Go get your alignment.
Old 05-13-11, 08:23 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

dammmn both my inner tie rods move freely they dont stay in place at all and now i need a special tool for this smh, so ill have to wait to do this job anyways Thanks a lot for the info i wll do this as soon as i buy the tool !!
Old 05-13-11, 11:53 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

You don't need a tool, just do as the poster above you said. You'll just have to flatten that lock washer and unbolt it from the rack. I just took a large flat-head and gently tap it away from the "lock" position.

Last edited by Agent0024; 05-13-11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 12:48 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

how do you remove the clips that are holding the boot?
Old 05-22-11, 06:00 PM
starfyrels

I'm really getting worried about most users/posters that are sharing information about things that they don't know about. Please, if you haven't done this yourself -- CORRECTLY, then do not give other members false information.

You do need the special tool. It's called an inner tie rod removal tool for a reason. There is no way to remove the old rod, you can try a vice grip or plumbers wrench but you won't have clearance and you will run into problems when tightening the new rod. Your steering will suffer (shake/vibrate) and have lots of slop if you do not tighten the rods with the tool. I'd also get a torque wrench and torque to spec as well.

To remove the clips on the boot you can break them of cut them, use pliers or wedge a screwdriver in there and just get a pack of clips from any auto parts stores and replace them. I believe there part on the rod where you can remove the clips and press them back in.
Old 05-22-11, 07:02 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Hah, I've done it and I did not need a special tool. I'll be sure to come back and tell you if my car start to shake or vibrate.
Old 05-22-11, 07:15 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

I finilly changed both inner tie rod ends and didn't use the tool! I also removed the clips and put them back on, both tie rods are tightened good but I'll know for sure when I take it for a drive on the highway! I can tell you something right now it's not easy to do and it's a pain in the *** ! The only thing I forgot to do is bend the washer In the lock position on the left side !
Old 05-22-11, 07:24 PM
starfyrels

My addage is to do things right the first time, so that you dont have to run into issues later on down the road.
Old 05-23-11, 05:12 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

is it normal for the suspension to feel like **** after you change the inner tie rod ends! because mine does, I'm hoping the alignment fixes this issue !
Old 05-23-11, 06:30 AM
starfyrels

Originally Posted by GSRSRT
is it normal for the suspension to feel like **** after you change the inner tie rod ends! because mine does, I'm hoping the alignment fixes this issue !
When I changed mine out my car would not track straight because you need to adjust the nuts and outer tie rods - this is why you need an alignment.

If the steering feels loose -- I told you, you should have used the tool.
Old 05-23-11, 10:14 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Your toe is probably all screwed up causing it to feel like crap. Go get an alignment like the poster above you recommended and check back with the results.
Originally Posted by GSRSRT
Old 05-23-11, 10:26 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

so like I said it feels bad after I changed the inner's , will the alignment correct the problem ?
Old 05-23-11, 10:48 AM
mexikan
Driver

Cool

wheel alignment probably won't fix your problem but if you take it in for one they might tell you what you did wrong! or left loose.
Old 05-23-11, 12:49 PM
starfyrels

Go get an alignment, get a free alignment check at most shops and then you'll know. If you can jack your car up and hold on the inner tie rod and move it around then you didn't install it tight enough -- causing more slop.

Quick Reply: Help on INNER TIE ROD END