GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

QUANTUM, Titanium, or Formula one TINT?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 01:36 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question QUANTUM, Titanium, or Formula one TINT?!?!

I live in Richmond, VA and was in search of a good window film for my vehicle! There is a shop here that states they are the best in VA and they use polyester titanium tint. To tint my whole vehicle they said it will cost $400.00!!! If I will tint my car for this much I wanted to know if it is the best tint on the market. I heard about the Quantum tint and the Formula one tint and did wanted to know how they stack up. I have a Black GS and wanted to stick to 35% all the way around for a finished look! I know where to get all the different kind of film it is just which film will be the best for my car!

THANKS
Old 09-06-02, 01:57 PM
RacingAristo

I tint all the windows including driver seat for less than $150 though it is platinum tint and still comes with "no bubble, no scratch" warranty. $400 to tint all around is ridiculous.
Old 09-06-02, 02:33 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm from New York and I paid $250 for QUANTUM TINT, very very nicly done.. no bubles no nothing.. perfect job..

if you do search you can find few posts that i made with pictures..
Old 09-06-02, 02:41 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Smile

ALexus,

Do you know the difference between the three different types of film? (Quantum, Titanium, Formula One) What is the name of the shop that you went to in Brooklyn? I visit up there a few times a year and will wait if they are really professional.
Old 09-06-02, 02:46 PM
alexus
Pole Position

so far i have never seen better job then what they did to my car.. i might be wrong.. but thats just in my opinion

i know quantum and titanum, however i never seen forumla one (quite a few member of CL uses that tint)

if you ever decided to come by to brooklyn to do it, let me know and i'll provide you with more info..

unfortinatly i do not remember their address off the top of my head.. i know how to get there i drive there quite often but i do not remember their address
Old 09-06-02, 02:47 PM
apatel
Pole Position

Theres a place in Rockville, MD called Tint shop. They used a tint that is kinda like quantum. They did a good job with mine and I paid $160.
Old 09-06-02, 02:49 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i prefer the real thing
Old 09-06-02, 03:22 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

$400 for tints:eek: I got my Quantum for $150 all the way around. You better go look around because they're straight jacking you for yo money. Good luck!!!
Old 09-06-02, 03:28 PM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by alexus
i prefer the real thing
I tried to find a shop that used quantum tint but couldn't What is the difference?...better quality?
Old 09-06-02, 03:35 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

from what the tint guy told me, quantum will never fade unlike the titanium. Quantum doesn't have ammonia and titanium does. Ammonia is the cause of fading over the years.
Old 09-06-02, 03:50 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Thumbs down

I do not know if that is right because I have tint done from the shop when it first opened and when the price was 225 for a tint job. The tint has not changed color and it has been three years. They claim they are the Best in VA and advertise that they are the 6year running tint champs! That is why the price has skyrocketed! I think that through reading that Quantum is better but I just want to put the best on the GS! Like the ad said I am in the Pursuit of Perfection!!!
Old 09-06-02, 03:54 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Cheap tints will fade within the first few years. Titanium are good tints also, there were the best one out there until Quantum came out. They will eventually fade but it will take them about 6-10 years before you can really notice anything.
Old 09-06-02, 05:12 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have navigation, don't get tint with metal in it. I just got a 2002 Black Lexus GS300 and I want to get that same look you're talking about. I have navigation so I'm looking at the following non-metalized tints.

Sun-Gard Midnight Charcoal
Llumar Jet
SolarGard NR Charcoal

The metalized tints I would consider if I didn't have navigation would be.

Sun-Guard Perform X Slate
Llumar Stealth
SolarGard HP Charcoal

By the way, I spoke to somebody at Formulat One today. According to them, the Formula One tints don't come in charcoal or black. The person recommended the Llumar types I listed above if I want the windows to look black. Formula One and Llumar are part of the same company CP Films.

And you should be able to get a good tint job done for about $200. By the way, I think the reason they want to charge you a lot of money is because the Quantum tint is supposed to be pain in the *** to put on since it's a completely metal tint. Most places use the hybrid dyed polyester/metal tints.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 09-06-02 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 07:30 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb yEAH dude

Look no matter how great theirs claims are, the most you should end up paying is from $180 to $250. anything more & your paying a serious premium. Too much!
I personally know a great tint shop in Philly area nice clean work!
Even he said way too much. Shop around dude & get it for less.
This guy I know charges 225 for rear, frnt & rear sides not the front glass. COPS will really wanna pull you over as soon as they see that your front windsheid is tinted out!

jus my 2 cents

Paul
Old 09-06-02, 07:52 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
If you have navigation, don't get tint with metal in it. I just got a 2002 Black Lexus GS300 and I want to get that same look you're talking about. I have navigation so I'm looking at the following non-metalized tints.

Sun-Gard Midnight Charcoal
Llumar Jet
SolarGard NR Charcoal

The metalized tints I would consider if I didn't have navigation would be.

Sun-Guard Perform X Slate
Llumar Stealth
SolarGard HP Charcoal

By the way, I spoke to somebody at Formulat One today. According to them, the Formula One tints don't come in charcoal or black. The person recommended the Llumar types I listed above if I want the windows to look black. Formula One and Llumar are part of the same company CP Films.

And you should be able to get a good tint job done for about $200. By the way, I think the reason they want to charge you a lot of money is because the Quantum tint is supposed to be pain in the *** to put on since it's a completely metal tint. Most places use the hybrid dyed polyester/metal tints.
You forgot Lumar "Centaur", its supposed to be one of Lumars best metalics....

Quick Reply: QUANTUM, Titanium, or Formula one TINT?!?!