GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OBX header -- GS3

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 01:11 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow nice dean....
did OBX headers throw you with check engine light????
i just got the megan mid pipe and i was going to get cat-back and intake....
maybe i'll consider the header work too.
and you still have to pick up the wrench for the coilover from me ^^.
Old 06-03-11, 01:16 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_2
wow nice dean....
did megan headers throw you with check engine light????
i just got the mid pipe from them and i was going to get cat-back and intake....
and you still have to pick up the wrench for the coilover from me ^^.
Hey Tony!
I completely forgot about the wrench, I do need to swing out there and get it from you and talk to you about some carbon fiber stuff....

No check engine light using the spark plug non-fouler trick (two stacked foulers in the O2 hole and then the O2 into the fouler). That effectively removed the O2 sensor (SECONDARY sensors) from the exhaust stream. I'm still running the stock mid-pipe for a couple of reasons.
Old 06-03-11, 01:31 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see so what do you need to buy other then the header???? also don't obx comes with mid pipes???? what are the reasons to not to use them... i just got only midpipe from megan due to check engine light thingy. i heard about the O2foullers to not get the light on but never used them before so i was kinda curious about it. now you have the SRT intake and header how is it runs??? planing to get exhaust pretty soon????
Old 06-03-11, 02:12 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_2
i see so what do you need to buy other then the header???? also don't obx comes with mid pipes???? what are the reasons to not to use them... i just got only midpipe from megan due to check engine light thingy. i heard about the O2foullers to not get the light on but never used them before so i was kinda curious about it. now you have the SRT intake and header how is it runs??? planing to get exhaust pretty soon????
I don't think that OBX sells the pieces individually, at least I don't think you can get the header without the midpipe. Yes, mine came with the midpipe but I choose not to use it to retain at least one cat (to cut back on black soot at exhaust exit). Also, wanted some backpressure in the system for low end torque (increase the stall with a higher stall TC and you can easily overcome that but I'm not that interested in doing that at this time). Unclear what you mean by the "check engine light thingie". Replacing only the midpipe will not give or get rid of a check engine light. It runs really well. Mainly doing it for an increase in mileage because if performance was my primary concern then I would have cut out the steps in between and gone FI. That will happen some time next year. Exhaust, if I come across a good deal then yes. I doubt there will be much improvement with an exhaust, either mileage or performance and I like to cruise in silence. I'll bring out one of the Supras if I want noise :-)