GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How often does your GS get compliments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 02:48 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How often does your GS get compliments?

Personally, I still prefer the looks of my old SC400, but my GS has grown on me. It never got very many compliments until I put on the 19” Altstadts – the wheels made all the difference in the world. In just the past week, I got several nice compliments on my GS4.

Last week, a woman who also parks in my office building’s underground parking said that she really liked the color – a “really elegant” color, as she put it.

Thursday, I stopped to gas up and went inside the store. As I was checking out, the woman at the register had noticed the car and said “I like your car – what is it?” “A Lexus” I replied – and she says “Ohhhhh”.

I had lunch Friday with an old friend I hadn’t seen in a while – his first comment was “wow”, he instantly fell in love with the car. Over the course of a couple of hours, he made at least 5-6 comments about how much he liked the car. I talked with him briefly this morning – one of the things he mentioned was “Damn, that’s a fine looking Lexus”.

At the dyno shop (also Friday), the guy who took the appointment had said that he’d been looking forward to getting a GS4 on the dyno to see what it would do. Two young guys saw me waiting for them to finish prepping the dyno for the GS – I was still inside the retail area, not in the dyno area so they couldn’t see the car. They asked if that was my Mustang they heard - “sounds great”! “No, that’s my Lexus” [two jaws drop]. I was at Dallas Mustang – they specialize in building performance Mustangs.

While running it up on the dyno at wot, several guys came out of the warehouse and sales area to see what sounded like that. One said “I thought it was (some guy’s name) with the Cobra”. It does sound fantastic at wot – and when the “driver” floored it – damn thing leaped when it shifted from 3rd to 4th - car sure put on a good show at Dallas Mustang. Too bad the dyno computer crapped out and I didn’t get any good pulls. It was almost certainly the slowest car in that area (half dozen tricked out Mustangs and the one on the dyno before me had pulled 750 RWH) but the GS looked and sounded GREAT!

Every time that I see one of the waiters at a restaurant I frequent, (last week for instance) he mentions what a fine ride I’m driving. About a month ago, he was outside on a break and saw me parking it and said “I didn’t know you drove a car like that”. Really made an impression on him.

Given a choice, I’d rather get a thumbs-up from an M5 driver after cleaning his clock. But in the absence of race stories, I’ll take some compliments on how the car looks and sounds. How ‘bout you guys?
Old 09-08-02, 03:38 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

heh, i did not put rim ... yet ... but i do get compliments as well especially when i meet someone new .. they usualy goes wow and is this new model, year 2003? black on black w/ black windows let them know about the car is being parked here.. and not just a car... a lexus car! i can't wait to install my new srt intake w/ trd stb and cold air box.. that's my mods for next week heh also goin paint my calipers and goin try to chrome my grill.. planin to do this all in very short time.. we'll see how people goin notice that after i pop my hood i should install more perforamnce mods though.. heh at club lexus meetin i saw some cars that has a lot of mods .. and those cars looked damn nice.. especially the one with rims.. only rims tell you "LOOK AT ME!" the more shiny and bigger rims the bigger this sign in any case glad you enjoyin your ride so am i and i'm sure so as 99.9% of people who drives lexus
Old 09-08-02, 03:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh tell me about it..... i got so many compliments on my gs that i am getting scared. it's like the whole town knows you have something special.

i think my gs wouldn't have stood out so much if it's not blue, but the blue color really catches so many eyes. even when it was stock i got plenty of looks on the high way. when i am driving locally people at bus stops just couldn't take their eyes off me. and when i am at malls, man you really get the feeling that people want to steal the car.

but it was really nothing until i got the 19" for my car as well. with the tein drop the car is just pure pimp. not literally everyone looks at my car..... not only young guys, but also guys in the 40's and stuff.

the best story i have is when i went to airport to pick up my gf in my gs4 after i put on the 19". i drove up to the curb and my gf started loading. this guy beside her just screamed, "holy! this is such a nice ride!!! man LOOK at it!!!!! hey valet parking right here, man give me the key! damn it looks sooooo good!!!!!!!!!" he said it so loudly that by this time everyone in that area stopped what they were doing and stared at my car..... man it was embarrassing..........

oh, may i add that two cops were staring at my ride all the time too?
Old 09-08-02, 01:32 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How often does your GS get compliments?

Originally posted by garnet92
\

Given a choice, I’d rather get a thumbs-up from an M5 driver after cleaning his clock. \
Is that a poseur 528i with an M5 kit and M5 rims? The GS430 is a fast car, but the E39 generation M5 is a super-car. Or was that just wishful thinking? In that you'd rather be complimented for go instead of show?
Old 09-08-02, 03:31 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EverydaY I get complements on my GS. And almost everytime I leave my car I return to someone standing around my car looking at it... Alot of people love the wings in the back Ugo/RMM they say it looks awsome. Like yesturday I went to the audio shop to ask when he'll be ready to do my setup for me, and when I came out there were like 5 kids doing laps around my car.. They were like that's the phattest GS I ever seen... And ofcouse me being the "Modest" person I am, I told them "I know"...
J/K... I said thanks....

I love my GS and the attention it gets..

Last edited by MrSypher; 09-08-02 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-08-02, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Just got back from Deals' Gap. There was also a Harley Davidson meet there. Sat. morn, 2 Harley folf (guy and girl) are checking out all our rides and ask who owns the white one is (mine). She looked inside and gave complimented the car!

Before the trip I was toying with a red dropped Civic. At the light, the window rolls down, and the passenge yells, DUDE THAT IS SO SICK!!! U got Lexus brakes and they both give me a thumbs up.
Old 09-08-02, 10:05 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get comments like everyone here, especially given the rims. too bad people here don't know just how good the rims are.

but i've noticed that i don't ever get comments from other people with a car that is anything other than stock. i see ricers all day and they'll glance at the car and pretend its nothing next to their honda and "altezza" lights.

the only good comment i've gotten so far was from another 540 with HRE's, being he knows what he's talking about.
Old 09-08-02, 11:24 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

hmm......i almost never get compliments...once was when i was washing my car and my neighbor said "nice car" ...second time was when i went to the police station to show that i fixed my "fix it ticket (front licence plate)" and the officer said "nice car"...third was literally the day after when I was at a post office and some young fella said "nice car"...as you can see ..not much enthusiastic responses ....i guess it's because I'm still driving around with stock 16 inch rims.....i prefer it this way tho since my audio equipment cost more than most people's rims
Old 09-08-02, 11:33 PM
acruz02
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I have to admit my car gets alot more compliments than I do. Wish it was the other way around, but it will have to do.

I got one the other day that really stood out. It was a "brother" at Home Depot picking up the shopping carts.
"Boy, That Ride is Gangstar!"
I hadn't heard that one before, but I said thanks. I hope it was a compliment.
"Boy, That Ride is Gangstar!"
That trips me out.

1998 GS300 Black on Black, 10% tints, OEM spoiler & major stereo upgrades, that's all it takes.
Old 09-09-02, 12:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I get a lot of compliments. One place I get a LOT is at the Lexus dealership. All the guys there love my car. But it happens lots of places. Gas stations, parking lots, work, etc.
Old 09-09-02, 12:42 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
oh, may i add that two cops were staring at my ride all the time too?
they wanted to ticket you)
Old 09-09-02, 06:26 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default All the time

I would not even try to count the compliments that I have received. Valets love it, neighbors hate me, coworkers think I deal crack, so called friends get jealous, but .... most importantly-I LOVE IT and that is what counts.
I would agree , I liked the style of my SC over the GS, but it has also grown on me.
Old 09-09-02, 08:52 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

I get a lot of compliments as well every where I go someone is always asking me questions about my car like how did i get my rims to fit how my tint looks where i get my rotors from how much they like the color of my car how great it looks everyone seems to like the way it looks alot more than i do i did a bunch of mods and i still have a lot more to do it's like it never ends there is always something you want to change or something you would like to do differently
Old 09-09-02, 10:46 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, check out my thread on this not too long ago regarding compliments on the GS

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43341
Old 09-09-02, 10:51 AM
dt21823
Driver

I get compliments here and there. Lots of people check it out, but don't say anything. Too many rednecks and ricers that don't want to admit they like it. Definitely seem to get more ricers wanting to race me since I put on my wheels and exhaust.

Quick Reply: How often does your GS get compliments?