GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

??????? about 90k service

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 06:11 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default ??????? about 90k service

I have a 02 GS3...why in the heck are people changing the WP with the timing belt? I can see if its leaking but to automatically change that when the WP isn't even listed for change in the maintenance manual. Also the WP is totally independent of the timing belt, so the statement of "changing it while there" don't make sense. The WP runs off the serpentine belt and after looking at it, its easily accessible. My radiator fluid is green/gold not the toyota pink...maybe that's why its not leaking. After doing multiple readings online, they say the toyota fluid is causing premature leaks on the water pumps. I plan on doing the service at 100k with the oem timing belt kits sold on ebay. Maybe the WP needs to be changed on the GS4 with this service.
Old 06-04-11, 11:24 AM
RoboRam12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're correct, the water pump is driven off the serpentine belt and doesn't need to be changed unless it's leaking. I don't know why people say to change it when you do a timing belt, it isn't necessary.
Old 06-04-11, 12:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

people say to change it cause u already have all the other items off and out of the way so the labor to do it then is minimal compared to if it starts leaking on its own and you have to undo and redo all the stuff you JUST did on the 90k.....

IMHO go ahead and do it then, i did
Old 06-05-11, 12:08 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by sakataj
people say to change it cause u already have all the other items off and out of the way so the labor to do it then is minimal compared to if it starts leaking on its own and you have to undo and redo all the stuff you JUST did on the 90k.....

IMHO go ahead and do it then, i did
Do u have a gs3 or 4. With the 300 it wont be repeated labor. Loose the drive belt and change.. Looks like a 20 min job. Ill buy the kit just to have the pump on hand incase it leaks but I wont replace until leak. My old infiniti had 256k original WP.
Old 06-06-11, 03:51 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Do u have a gs3 or 4. With the 300 it wont be repeated labor. Loose the drive belt and change.. Looks like a 20 min job. Ill buy the kit just to have the pump on hand incase it leaks but I wont replace until leak. My old infiniti had 256k original WP.
Can someone validate if this true... I have a 300 also would like to know if this is true.
Old 06-06-11, 08:43 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MiggzGS
Can someone validate if this true... I have a 300 also would like to know if this is true.
I just did this 2 weeks ago and yes this is true. Remove the drive belt, remove covers, release tensioner, you can remove the alternator for more space then remove the water pump. I would say 1 hr from start to finish.
Old 06-06-11, 02:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i have a gs430....
Old 06-07-11, 02:57 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
I just did this 2 weeks ago and yes this is true. Remove the drive belt, remove covers, release tensioner, you can remove the alternator for more space then remove the water pump. I would say 1 hr from start to finish.
Thanks a lot bro...
Old 06-07-11, 07:30 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have a gs430....
Same here, and on the gs4's, it is quite the project to get to the water pump. So the logic is that if you are going to spend half a day spinning wrenches just to get to the water pump/timing belt, you might as well replace all the wear items while you are there, to avoid having to do the job again 6 months later. For an extra $100 or so, replacing the water pump in this case makes sense to most people. I also replaced the idler and tensioner while I was at it.

OP, I'm curious where you found information that Toyota coolant is causing problems; most of what I read suggested that you should not put the green stuff into Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and stick with the factory pink/red coolant. Where did you read otherwise?
Old 06-07-11, 09:54 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by MiggzGS
Thanks a lot bro...
I validated it with my post lol. Im a noob on this site but very mechanically advanced. That's why I posted the question in the first place. But now I see it will be repeat labor if you have a 400/430....NOT a 300. I wont replace my WP unless it leaking at the time of timing belt replacement.
Old 06-07-11, 10:00 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

You have to stick with a equivalent fluid. Google toyota pink and water pump.failures and u will see it. I haven't read any problems with the red but I've read problems with the long life fluid pink. The ingredients in it is harmful for the seals and it makes so much sense. There is no reason why these WP are leaking at 20k miles in some cases with pink. Im about to drain mine and put in zerex asian antifreeze. No way im using toyota pink.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 06-07-11 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 10:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Same here, and on the gs4's, it is quite the project to get to the water pump. So the logic is that if you are going to spend half a day spinning wrenches just to get to the water pump/timing belt, you might as well replace all the wear items while you are there, to avoid having to do the job again 6 months later. For an extra $100 or so, replacing the water pump in this case makes sense to most people. I also replaced the idler and tensioner while I was at it.
yeah i did my idler and tensioner also....

I validated it with my post lol. Im a noob on this site but very mechanically advanced. That's why I posted the question in the first place. But now I see it will be repeat labor if you have a 400/430....NOT a 300. I wont replace my WP unless it leaking at the time of timing belt replacement.
yeah it makes no sense not to on the v8's.......
Old 06-07-11, 11:24 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You have to stick with a equivalent fluid. Google toyota pink and water pump.failures and u will see it. I haven't read any problems with the red but I've read problems with the long life fluid pink. The ingredients in it is harmful for the seals and it makes so much sense. There is no reason why these WP are leaking at 20k miles in some cases with pink. Im about to drain mine and put in zerex asian antifreeze. No way im using toyota pink.
You have to stick with the coolant that the car was designed for, that is correct. So you should NOT be putting pink coolant (super long life) into a car designed for red coolant (long life), that is straight from Toyota. So you should not be using pink in your car.

What I was asking about is why you would use green coolant in your car? It most definitely not designed for the green coolant. Why not just use the red coolant, as recommended by Toyota?
Old 06-07-11, 11:56 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by lyonkster
You have to stick with the coolant that the car was designed for, that is correct. So you should NOT be putting pink coolant (super long life) into a car designed for red coolant (long life), that is straight from Toyota. So you should not be using pink in your car.

What I was asking about is why you would use green coolant in your car? It most definitely not designed for the green coolant. Why not just use the red coolant, as recommended by Toyota?
I purchased my car 3wks ago and it was in. Honestly its not green, its more like a yellow/gold type fluid. I've never seen that color before. From my understanding, our cars can use the red or pink fluid. Its just a toss up if going to use long life vs extended long life. Nowhere in the manual does it state not to use pink fluid. Even cars that are designed with pink are having problems. Its documented all online. Im going to flush it out this weekend with the cheaper Zerex Asian fluid so I will know I have the correct fluid.
Old 06-07-11, 12:25 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

I purchased my car 3wks ago and it was in. Honestly its not green, its more like a yellow/gold type fluid. I've never seen that color before. From my understanding, our cars can use the red or pink fluid. Its just a toss up if going to use long life vs extended long life. Nowhere in the manual does it state not to use pink fluid. Even cars that are designed with pink are having problems. Its documented all online. Im going to flush it out this weekend with the cheaper Zerex Asian fluid so I will know I have the correct fluid.
I used to use the Zerex coolant for couple of years but i went back to Toyota red. Mixed it with 50% water and good to go. It's recommended by toyota and still use it on their new cars. If they know that its causing problems then they will not sell it. The online documentation you see online are not necessarily based on scientific facts. I honestly do not believe everything I read online, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: ??????? about 90k service