GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 with paddle shifters. Can this be done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 08:20 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I guess I'm too focused on saving gas.

I should probably let her get out of her cage every once in a while...
Old 06-08-11, 08:33 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Can u give me the part numbers here or PM me please.. I found some

links in Japan and had to use google translate.. I found a DIY but no pictures..

looks like you need 3 parts.. Shifters, swith wire, switch bracket..

I wish i could see pics..

Heres the link

http://honyaku.yahoofs.jp/url_result...zcHg=,qfor%3D0

Thanks
I sent you a pm, I also translated this via babelfish..lol..better than I can do:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
Old 06-08-11, 08:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by starfyrels
I sent you a pm, I also translated this via babelfish..lol..better than I can do:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
Thanks i appreciate that... PM sent as well
Old 06-08-11, 09:30 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol mine stays on too.
Old 07-26-11, 06:41 PM
razgs300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
yea ive seen a kit before. F1 style.

http://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/produc...paddle_neo.htm
I have a GS300 with E-shift. Can this be retrofitted to my car even if it is designed for GS400?
Old 07-26-11, 06:45 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

whats wrong with the e-shift?

or does this just look cooler.
Old 07-26-11, 08:05 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It only says GS4. What about the GS300?
Old 07-26-11, 10:09 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by razgs300
I have a GS300 with E-shift. Can this be retrofitted to my car even if it is designed for GS400?
yes it should. Since its made by Works Bell its a japan made... meaning its prolly designed for the Aristo. which means its the same car as the Gs300.
Old 07-27-11, 04:19 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost on power all the time. I use the e-shift all the time as well. It seems like you can control the shift better if you let off the throttle a bit when changing gears. Possibly changing the load on the engine and letting it shift up?? Not sure if it really does. However, I do have a blast using mine coming out of corners!!!!! Would kill to have it go to 1st though. Would hate to not have the e-shift option when I want it.
Old 07-27-11, 05:48 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For those of you with a GS400 that want to do this mod, why not use a '01-'05 GS steering wheel (with the wood; non e-shift) with a '03-'04 RX air bag?

The e-shift wires would still be there (just not able to plug into the new steering wheel) so you could simply attach them to the new paddle shift kit. Then you have a nice oem Lexus steering wheel with the aftermarket paddle shifters. IMHO a CRAZY aftermarket steering wheel may look out of place especially if the car isn't heavily modded.
Old 07-27-11, 05:50 AM
razgs300
Rookie

Originally Posted by HellaG35
whats wrong with the e-shift?

or does this just look cooler.
It could be just me who thinks that it feels better to shift with a paddle shifter than using the shift button.

Originally Posted by vwynn
yes it should. Since its made by Works Bell its a japan made... meaning its prolly designed for the Aristo. which means its the same car as the Gs300.
I was thinking the same line mate hence why I asked the question.

Originally Posted by HtownGS4
Almost on power all the time. I use the e-shift all the time as well. It seems like you can control the shift better if you let off the throttle a bit when changing gears. Possibly changing the load on the engine and letting it shift up?? Not sure if it really does. However, I do have a blast using mine coming out of corners!!!!! Would kill to have it go to 1st though. Would hate to not have the e-shift option when I want it.
Yeah, I do spirited driving sometimes (in a safe and controlled manner of course! ) and when I do, I will use the E-Shift function. I wish that the system can go to 1st gear though as does everybody else...
Old 09-17-11, 01:57 PM
AsAkite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
For those of you with a GS400 that want to do this mod, why not use a '01-'05 GS steering wheel (with the wood; non e-shift) with a '03-'04 RX air bag?

The e-shift wires would still be there (just not able to plug into the new steering wheel) so you could simply attach them to the new paddle shift kit. Then you have a nice oem Lexus steering wheel with the aftermarket paddle shifters. IMHO a CRAZY aftermarket steering wheel may look out of place especially if the car isn't heavily modded.
Hi,
Just bought a 98 GS4 and am new to the forums. I like the e-shift funtionality, but not so enthusiastic about the buttons or their placement.
The solution described by Rock sounds perfect, but has anyone actually done this? I know some have used the single stage airbag from an RX but has anyone used the Works Bell also?
Thanks guys... the CL forums are awesome... tons of info that will end up draining my bank account.
Old 09-17-11, 09:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by AsAkite
Hi,
Just bought a 98 GS4 and am new to the forums. I like the e-shift funtionality, but not so enthusiastic about the buttons or their placement.
The solution described by Rock sounds perfect, but has anyone actually done this? I know some have used the single stage airbag from an RX but has anyone used the Works Bell also?
Thanks guys... the CL forums are awesome... tons of info that will end up draining my bank account.
I have a member working on this project as we speak.. As far as i know I'll still be able to keep everything stock without modifiying the airbag etc..
Old 09-18-11, 03:44 PM
AsAkite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I have a member working on this project as we speak.. As far as i know I'll still be able to keep everything stock without modifiying the airbag etc..
Cool! Please post your thoughts on the results..
I liked Rocks suggestion over just using the Works Bell with stock wheel because I also want to swap to a wood wheel, I forgot to mention that in my post.
Old 09-18-11, 07:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by AsAkite
Cool! Please post your thoughts on the results..
I liked Rocks suggestion over just using the Works Bell with stock wheel because I also want to swap to a wood wheel, I forgot to mention that in my post.
I hope to be using IS350 paddle shifters.. not the Works Bell...

Quick Reply: GS400 with paddle shifters. Can this be done?