GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My RMM 3-pc spoiler is a piece of CRAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 05:41 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My RMM 3-pc spoiler is a piece of CRAP!!!

Sorry all, but I'll vent here quickly then I'll shut up.

I've had this spoiler on for about 3 or 4 months now and it has slowly been coming off. The 3M tape which is supposed to be good quality simply COULD NOT hold the middle (and biggest) piece of my spoiler on properly!! Finally took it to a local body shop today and asked them to re-apply new tape or use epoxy, whichever works best for them. Turns out they had to SCREW the damned thing on!!!!! And why????? B/c the piece was so friggin' warped and mis-molded that it simply does not fit the trunk lid properly. End result - it is screwed on solidly but it doesn't line up 100%. GARBAGE.

For anyone reading this post, please buy ANY piece but this one and save yourself the headache and frustration!!! A nice TTE lip like I was first looking at is a much better bet.

Sorry all.........<deep breath....counting to ten>................................and I'm spent!!!

Eric
Old 09-11-02, 05:44 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, sorry about that. It seems that a lot of the RMM stuff like the grill don't fit properly. Whats going on?
Old 09-11-02, 05:47 PM
JYOO

Yeah thats messed up when u pay good money for stuff and get sheeeeit in return.
Old 09-11-02, 07:22 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Uh oh and I want to get the RMM 1 piece spoiler, has anybody had any bad experiences with that one?
Old 09-12-02, 02:49 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Man, sorry to hear about your problems with the RMM Spoiler. It does seem lately that anything that comes out of RMM seems to be having issues. Well, if you like the design of the spoiler but don't want to get another RMM, try the wing from wings west. Here is a pic of mine from wings west. I haven't had one issue with this spoiler and it's been about 1 year now.
Attached Thumbnails My RMM 3-pc spoiler is a piece of CRAP!!!-ken-s-car.1.jpg  
Old 09-12-02, 02:56 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

different angle...
Attached Thumbnails My RMM 3-pc spoiler is a piece of CRAP!!!-ken-s-car-088.jpg  
Old 09-12-02, 06:25 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i had the same freakin problem wit the same exact wing....warped to ****...doesnt stay on....and doesnt fit rite....i juss ripped it off and sold it to someone who wanted to bolt it down...and i have the rmm grill too...and thats starting to warp on me too....the top bar of the middle bar where the lexus logo is all warped and not straight...im also annoyed as hell...bout to rip that off when i get a chance to get another grill...but i want the tte rear trunk lip spoiler too now...blah....i havent had anything thats rmm work perfect for me....ARGGGGGG....so i fell ya man

Boris
Old 09-12-02, 01:24 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

LXOGOOD - now I'm wishing i would have taken your advice a few months back when you told me about your WW piece. Oh well. Your ride is friggin' sweet BTW. One of my faves on CL.

The intention of my thread, other than just to vent, was to make others aware of the fit/finish problems being encountered with RMM products. Hope I can help anyone who is looking at one of these. Turn around and run as fast as you can!!!!.....lol

Eric
Old 09-12-02, 01:56 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Well I wanted to get an RMM 1 piece spoiler but now you've got me wondering about what the quality will be like. I like the stock spoiler style but I liked the way the RMM kicks out farther and the ends of the spoiler almost reach the C pillars, closer to the C pillars than the stock one. Does anybody else make one like this or is RMM my only option?
Old 09-13-02, 09:42 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard some things like this in the past...but I have mine from RMM and the first time it was installed I had the same problem, but then I removed the spoiler to get it repainted b/c it was scratched at a car wash. I did away with the factory 2-way tape and picked up some commercial grade 2-way tape and now I'm afraid that thing won't come off!!!! Over all, I can say that My problems subsided when I changed the 2-way tape.

Danny
Old 10-01-02, 04:53 PM
joewoz2001
Driver

Hey!!

what you might want to do if you want to replace the spoiler if it is giving you too much problems is checkout the Ltuned spoiler or there is a company called rod millen motorsports on the net and they have a nice spoiler for your GS.

good luck!!

Joe
Old 10-01-02, 04:55 PM
joewoz2001
Driver

Actually I'm sorry that was the l sportline spoiler for the GS.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 10-02-02, 03:48 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Joe

He has the Rod Millen Motorsports (RMM) wing.
Old 10-02-02, 11:49 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Hey, LXOGOOD, it looks like the left side of your spoiler doesn't line up in those pictures. The right side is a straight line from the middle piece, across your trunk break, to the right piece but the left one looks "off" a little. Is that just an artifact of the photos?
Old 10-02-02, 02:53 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default update

Well, a couple weeks back I finally had my bodyshop EPOXY and SCREW the damned thing on. I've had no trouble since. Of course I can't EVER take it off, but oh well.

Eric

Quick Reply: My RMM 3-pc spoiler is a piece of CRAP!!!