GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

throttle lever sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 06:46 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle lever sensor help

Ok so heres my problem I have a 1998 gs400 I was driving and the acceleration seemed to die had.to.floor.it.just to.go 5mph......check engine vsc.lights went on so my.mechanic scaned the car threw the pedal position sensor code......per Lexus my car doesnt have a pps its actually the throttle lever sensor so I repaced it now the car throws the same code with the car off or on thought.it was a faulty part so I.got another one this one is doing the same thing mechanic saying it needs to be.programed.........sound right? Any thoughts? Similar problems? Thanx in advance
Old 06-28-11, 08:23 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Our cars have something called an Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. I haven't been able to find the part online, but it does exist in our 400's. It's to the left of intake manifold where the pedal cable hooks onto. Another part to look into is the Throttle Controller Motor. Use a voltmeter to check to see which actually needs to be replaced.
Old 06-28-11, 08:45 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

That's the exact part I.bought but thru Lexus.its not called apps its called the throttle lever sensor......on the.other side.of the intake.manifold is the throttle position sensor
Old 06-28-11, 08:52 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Also on another note with the new part on I.can't clear the code......I put the.old part back on and all the lights on the dash turn off and I can clear the.code.......untill it decides to do it again lol its not a.constant problem goes away then.comes back
Old 06-28-11, 09:02 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Take a peek at this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...limp-mode.html
Old 06-28-11, 09:10 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Ya that's what I'm thinking I know its.one of.the 2 but what I.don't understand.is y it goes straight.into limp mode with.the new part and works fine with.the.old.part.......ever heard of the throttle lever sensor.needing.to be programed?
Old 06-28-11, 10:03 PM
Nobody303
Driver School Candidate

I would try to reset the ECU first. I've got the same issue with my 98 300. I'm guessing yours is throwing the same as mine P1121 "Possible Range Problem Detected." If the code will not clear at all, you might want to try giving it a reset. I've seen guys with LS 400's talking about faulty ECU's but I doubt that's what you're dealing with.

What I've done so far: TPS.

What I'm waiting on: Throttle Lever Assembly (Sensor is built in).

Basically, when I first took the car for a spin it was shaking bad when it was in gear and at a stop. Adjusted the throttle cable, and it went away immediately. The strange thing was that the car would then "kick" just a little bit when coming to a stop, like the car didn't know where to shift coming to a stop anymore.

Did a brake upgrade, cross drilled/slotted rotors all the way around. When I was driving it home I got the dreaded "limp mode" issue we've all gotten at some point. When I got up to ~45 MPH, it would be like I hit fuel cut. Next thing I know, check engine and the VSC lights came on, and I had no response unless I floored it.

Check engine was P1120 accelerator position pedal sensor. First thing I tried, because it was the only part that isn't ****ing special order was a TPS. The "kick" is gone, and when I went to drive it after 10 minutes (once the car warmed up), back to limp mode. The code, however, has changed. It is now P1121 possible range problem detected. I've been doing lots of research, and it looks like the next logical spot is the same part you are looking at now.

It's interesting that you say the code "won't clear." Do you mean that you hit "clear data", and it just doesn't go away? Or do you instead mean that you can clear it, but it comes right back? Also, have you tried adjusting the throttle cable/inspecting the TPS as well as the throttle body to make sure they are clean? What else have you tried so far?

To answer your initial question, I have never heard of it needing to be "programmed." Maybe you just need to adjust the throttle cable.
Old 06-29-11, 10:55 AM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nobody303
I would try to reset the ECU first. I've got the same issue with my 98 300. I'm guessing yours is throwing the same as mine P1121 "Possible Range Problem Detected." If the code will not clear at all, you might want to try giving it a reset. I've seen guys with LS 400's talking about faulty ECU's but I doubt that's what you're dealing with.

What I've done so far: TPS.

What I'm waiting on: Throttle Lever Assembly (Sensor is built in).

Basically, when I first took the car for a spin it was shaking bad when it was in gear and at a stop. Adjusted the throttle cable, and it went away immediately. The strange thing was that the car would then "kick" just a little bit when coming to a stop, like the car didn't know where to shift coming to a stop anymore.

Did a brake upgrade, cross drilled/slotted rotors all the way around. When I was driving it home I got the dreaded "limp mode" issue we've all gotten at some point. When I got up to ~45 MPH, it would be like I hit fuel cut. Next thing I know, check engine and the VSC lights came on, and I had no response unless I floored it.

Check engine was P1120 accelerator position pedal sensor. First thing I tried, because it was the only part that isn't ****ing special order was a TPS. The "kick" is gone, and when I went to drive it after 10 minutes (once the car warmed up), back to limp mode. The code, however, has changed. It is now P1121 possible range problem detected. I've been doing lots of research, and it looks like the next logical spot is the same part you are looking at now.

It's interesting that you say the code "won't clear." Do you mean that you hit "clear data", and it just doesn't go away? Or do you instead mean that you can clear it, but it comes right back? Also, have you tried adjusting the throttle cable/inspecting the TPS as well as the throttle body to make sure they are clean? What else have you tried so far?

To answer your initial question, I have
never heard of it needing to be
"programmed." Maybe you just need to adjust the throttle cable.
Can't clear.the code with the scanner at all not.even for a min
Old 06-29-11, 11:08 AM
Nobody303
Driver School Candidate

Thats really strange, never heard of that. Have you tried to reset the ecu? Also, I would google thee part number and maker sure its for your motor.
Old 06-29-11, 12:02 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Lol may sound like a dumb question but what do u mean reset the ecu? Disconnect the battery for a little bit?
Old 06-29-11, 12:52 PM
Nobody303
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs4ca
Lol may sound like a dumb question but what do u mean reset the ecu? Disconnect the battery for a little bit?
Yep, alternately there is a fuse under the good you can pull.
Old 06-30-11, 10:18 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Well took the car to the pros today ( Lexus dealership ) only upside rolling in a 2011 is250 loaner car......nice car kinda gutless tho lol
Old 07-01-11, 05:50 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

signing up for this..
i found out that carquest auto parts sells a throttle position sensor (the same a throttle lever sensor) as well.
Old 07-01-11, 06:25 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Ok so not only was that part bad but Lexus is telling me I have inernal circut falure in the ecu someone help
Old 07-01-11, 07:14 PM
gs4ca
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know of somewhere that rebuilds ecu or cheaper than what Lexus quoted me.....$1700 for a new one