GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Factory or Dealer installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 11:13 AM
hoyty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory or Dealer installed?

Quick question, on a GS430 is the spoiler and Black Pearl badging usually done at dealership or at factory? This is on a ordered car. I am wondering because I recently took delivery of my new 2002 GS430 Blue and it rolled of truck without those two options. The dealership has already installed the spoiler, and is working on the badging. I am curious if there is any difference in the spoiler or install method? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-14-02, 11:25 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Big difference on the spoiler with respect to your brake lights. I demanded a factory installed spoiler when I ordered my car for the following reason. A factory installed spoiler does not have a third brake light inside the rear deck of the car. A dealer installed spoiler will have the third brake light in the rear deck. This is in addition to the brake light incorporated into the spoiler. So you'll have 4 brake lights on a dealer installed spoiler, whereas the factory has just 3 brake lights. It's one way a person with knowledge on the car can tell if the spoiler was factory or dealer installed. Regardless, congratulations on ya new car. Take some pics when you get it.
Old 09-14-02, 12:12 PM
hoyty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for reply now you have me concerned. I took some quick pics so hopefully you can help me determine what is what. If you need some other angles let me know. http://www.hoyty.com/hoyty/pictures/...oiler_pics.htm
Thanks again.
Old 09-14-02, 01:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Hoyty,

Yours is dealer installed (like mine). You can see the third brakelight on your interior decklid.

Nothing wrong with it. I don't like having both light up and I've blacked out the one inside the car.

Edit - also, unless you get a 'Platinum edition' GS, I don't believe the black pearl badging comes on the car - they add it at the dealer (just like they would if you were getting a gold emblem package).

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-14-02 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-14-02, 01:27 PM
hoyty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, I agree it is not a big deal. However I waited four months for this car the least they could have done is get the order right.
Old 09-14-02, 01:49 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Platinum Badging on my Spectra Blue and its tight; of course, I think the 02 Blue is that gorgeous deep blue, almost Navy Blue.

You can click on my sig picture to get to my webpage to see my platinum badging.

Post some pics of your Blue as well!

Old 09-15-02, 06:09 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordering your car

Originally posted by hoyty
Thanks for the info, I agree it is not a big deal. However I waited four months for this car the least they could have done is get the order right.
Congrats on the new car!

Unfortunately dealers don't really order cars. They put in for an allocation, and hope they get it. Special orders for Lexus are rare. An orer would mean you wanted a premium package car with no sunroof. Can be done, but you'll wait a long time for it. Requesting a spoiler to most dealers is not a big deal because they know they can always add one. But again if you are as particular with your car as most of us here at CL are, you would have demanded they make it right, i.e removing the interior third brakelight and replcing the interior decklid. If you were not very deliberate when you "requested" the car they would not have gone out of their way for a spoiler, since again it was easily added at the dealership.

As for the Black Pearl Emblems, Dave has already answered the question just as I would have, so good luck, welcome to CL and enjoy!
Old 09-15-02, 09:20 PM
hoyty
Driver School Candidate

That's just it, it was a special order. I waited four months for it. Since I wanted Blue with Gray interior there was non to be allocated. It should have been done at factory. Unless it takes four months just to be allocated?
Old 09-17-02, 12:10 AM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

hoyty,

Looks like a dealer installed spoiler. The options listed on your window sticker will confirm this. Also check the name of the dealer on your window sticker. I'm guessing your dealer waited for that color combination to come into the states, then bought or traded with the dealer it was allocated to.

I ended up cancelling a 'special order' with a dealer after waiting 4 months and found out the dealer never placed the order and was waiting for my color combination to come into normal inventory. I was able to 'special order' thru another dealer and it only took 2 1/2 months once the order was placed.

I also had two dealers tell me that they could not 'special order' a car. I find it very perplexing that an upscale auto manufacturer is unable or unwilling to let you special order a color combination that is listed on thier own website. This will certainly influence the decision of my next auto purchase.

Anyway, great color combination. You'll find the car was worth the wait. Enjoy
Old 10-21-02, 12:06 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

If you 'special order' your Lexus, do you pay MSRP? Can you still bargain with dealership? Thanks.
Old 10-21-02, 12:25 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I was also told, by several dealerships and Lexus corporate, that customers cannot "special order" cars. This was an issue for me because I wanted a GS430 in a color other than black, white, silver, or gold. Those four are all that are being sold in the west U.S., so I was stuck.