GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I want to change my engine in my GS400, how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 04:48 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to change my engine in my GS400, how hard is it?

The acceleration in my GS400 is not running that great so I want to change my engine, here are the issue:

1/. Dealer cost for the 1UZFE is about $11000-$12000 for the long block, the head is already mounted on the block. I also saw Lextreme sell the rebuilt block($2750) and the head($2750), a total for about $5510, but I have to mount the head to the block, I have heard that the vvti in the head has to be shimmed and adjusted which I don't know how, if I get the whole engine from the dealer, the head is already mounted to the block, I assume this adjustment has been done already, so what do you think?

2/. I want to pull out the old engine and put the new engine in myself, for those of you who have done this before, do you break loose the transmission first under the car and then hoist out the engine? or do you break loose the joint in the drive shaft and then you take out the engine+ transmission together? How difficult is it to do this?

thanks
Old 07-02-11, 05:49 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Thats a lot of money to put into 14 year old car. If the engine is really in bad shape, I would just get a used one for probably a tenth of the price . These motors are mostly bulletproof so taking a chance on a used one won't be a big risk. Use the left over money to mod the car.
Old 07-02-11, 06:01 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with what newgs said. That is WAY to much to spend on an engine. Just get a used one from a GS that's around 100k or even between 100-140k.. Like he said above these engines are bulletproof. If you take care of them they'll take care of you.
Old 07-02-11, 06:50 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by newgsman
Thats a lot of money to put into 14 year old car. If the engine is really in bad shape, I would just get a used one for probably a tenth of the price . These motors are mostly bulletproof so taking a chance on a used one won't be a big risk. Use the left over money to mod the car.
It is a 2000 gs400, so it is only 11 years old, I brought it from a dealer at ~134K and now two years later is it at 187K, the engine running fine except I am not feeling that "pull" at wot like what you feel when it is a new car. If I get another GS400 I probably will have the same issue.

Besides I want to learn how to take out a engine and put in a new or rebuilt one.
Old 07-02-11, 07:48 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Why put in a new engine when you could have yours rebuilt?
Old 07-02-11, 08:02 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daihap133
The acceleration in my GS400 is not running that great so I want to change my engine, here are the issue:

1/. Dealer cost for the 1UZFE is about $11000-$12000 for the long block, the head is already mounted on the block. I also saw Lextreme sell the rebuilt block($2750) and the head($2750), a total for about $5510, but I have to mount the head to the block, I have heard that the vvti in the head has to be shimmed and adjusted which I don't know how, if I get the whole engine from the dealer, the head is already mounted to the block, I assume this adjustment has been done already, so what do you think?

2/. I want to pull out the old engine and put the new engine in myself, for those of you who have done this before, do you break loose the transmission first under the car and then hoist out the engine? or do you break loose the joint in the drive shaft and then you take out the engine+ transmission together? How difficult is it to do this?

thanks
Go for it! This is the route I'll be taking too sometimes in the future. Have them put some light weight and strong internals and go for more NA power at higher RPM. You can squeeze in a small boost later if you decide, but higher revving, higher NA power is how I would do it.

don't forget to put a brand new starter while you get a chance.

swapping engines is not difficult especially with the same engine. You would unplug all wires (methodically, no rushing to get done). Record steps and put bolts etc... in certain locations so you won't lose it. you can label things if you want. Check the performance thread to see a preview of what to expect.

Last edited by sam430; 07-02-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 08:17 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Why put in a new engine when you could have yours rebuilt?
I search in Google for a rebuilt 1UZFE engine and all it came up is some used engine. I can search for it locally, but I don't know how well those engine are rebuilt.

The one sold at Lextreme has both the head and block, but they are not assembled, so I would have to bolt the head to the block, may be I need to do that VVTI shim and adjustment thing?

I don't know if the one they sell at the dealer for ~$11K is rebuilt or new engine, but like I said before, the head is already bolted on to the block so I (assume) there is no adjustment in the head is needed. I have heard in some thread before the vvti needed to shimmed and adjust, don't know what exactly he meant by that??? I wouldn't know how to do that anyway.

Any suggestion?

thanks million

Last edited by daihap133; 07-02-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 08:19 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Have yours rebuilt.

You live in Cali. I can only imagine how many shops/CL members there are who could give you a hand.
Old 07-02-11, 08:23 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sam430
Go for it! This is the route I'll be taking too sometimes in the future. Have them put some light weight and strong internals and go for more NA power at higher RPM. You can squeeze in a small boost later if you decide, but higher revving, higher NA power is how I would do it.

don't forget to put a brand new starter while you get a chance.

swapping engines is not difficult especially with the same engine. You would unplug all wires (methodically, no rushing to get done). Record steps and put bolts etc... in certain locations so you won't lose it. you can label things if you want. Check the performance thread to see a preview of what to expect.
Seems like you have done engine removal and installation before(I assume)

So would it be easier to hoist the whole engine out with the transmission?
or unbolt the transmission from the engine and hoist the engine out only?
How did they turn the transmission housing bolts near the top of the transmission where you don't have access to it because the transmisson is blocking your way, do you loosen the engine mount and tilt the whole thing(engine + transmission down toward the floor, so you have some access to those bolts?

thanks a million
Old 07-02-11, 08:25 AM
98Gs4001UZ
Driver

Take that money your think of spending on a new engine. Have your rebuilt and then add some performances cams or some other performance parts . You'll get the life back in after a rebuild and with adding some performance you'll get a little more. Just my opinion.
Old 07-02-11, 08:26 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Have yours rebuilt.

You live in Cali. I can only imagine how many shops/CL members there are who could give you a hand.
I want to do that myself, it is a learning experience

I actually found a place which specialize in Lexus, quoted me a ball-park number of about $7K, I can pay them 7K-8K to do it, but then I don't learn anything..

Last edited by daihap133; 07-02-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 08:26 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Another thing you could do is take a picture of every thing you undo and put them in order. That could help once it comes to putting it back in!
Old 07-02-11, 08:27 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daihap133
I want to do that myself, it is a learning experience

I actually found a place which specialize on LExus quoted me a ball-park number of about $7K, I can pay them 7K-8K to do it, but then I don't learn anything..
Man, you're still not answering my question. Why not have your engine rebuilt, rather than buy a whole different one?
Old 07-02-11, 08:31 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 98Gs4001UZ
Take that money your think of spending on a new engine. Have your rebuilt and then add some performances cams or some other performance parts . You'll get the life back in after a rebuild and with adding some performance you'll get a little more. Just my opinion.
Rebuilt engine is fine, I just need to make sure the head is mounted to the block and the valves and vvti adjusted because I can't find any document or any website show me how to do that.

Last edited by daihap133; 07-02-11 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 08:33 AM
daihap133
Driver School Candidate

Man, you're still not answering my question. Why not have your engine rebuilt, rather than buy a whole different one?
It doesn't have to be a new engine, I could have my engine rebuilt by someone or get one that is already rebuilt, I just want to be able to take out and put the engine back in myself.

Lextreme sell the head and main block already rebuilt, but the head is not mounted to the block, so my worry is how to do the valve adjustment and the vvti shim when I mount the head to the block.

Quick Reply: I want to change my engine in my GS400, how hard is it?