GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need a new Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 04:34 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

OE filter is more dense than K&N btw. meaning it has better filtration..... less grit n microcrap in your engine... problem about this is that the flow is not the same as K&N. so its up to you if you want better flow at the expense of filtration.

Ive used K&N before. Never had a CEL regarding oil and i do clean/oil my filter. but then again... the air travels from the filter, through some pipes, through the intercooler, through some more pipes before getting to the MAF... so yea

Use whatever you want to buy really. ide say buy OEM if your car is stock.
Old 07-07-11, 09:11 PM
kmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the OEM LEXUS air filter any different from the stock replacement at the auto parts store(frame, wix, etc...)?
Old 07-08-11, 09:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
My fault then, Brian. I wasn't trying to bash the K&N at all. Personally I think that they are one of the top companies to mess with when it comes to aftermarket parts. I was just merely stating what I had 'heard' is all. Not trying to say that K&N parts are trash, because they're not, I would recommend them to people no problem. Was just merely stating what I know is all.

I never even knew that people had CEL problems with the filter. The only reason why I do not run the filter is because I know if overly-oiled it can mess with the MAF and PERSONALLY I do not want to have to clean the MAF and all that due to the filter, because I know it could be possible to put a little to much oil into the filter. That's all.

Wasn't trying to bash their products.
there it is again though Daniel, how can you recommend something you don't know anything about? neither the good nor the bad about them? what is it you know about them that your stating? you cant know something without having used it or seen it used personally....you could have heard it but that doesn't make it true,its no more than me saying it to you makes it true since YOU haven't ever owned/used it and dont know first hand

yes Daniel, NOW, I'm just messing with you and giving you a hard time
Old 07-08-11, 10:20 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
there it is again though Daniel, how can you recommend something you don't know anything about? neither the good nor the bad about them? what is it you know about them that your stating? you cant know something without having used it or seen it used personally....you could have heard it but that doesn't make it true,its no more than me saying it to you makes it true since YOU haven't ever owned/used it and dont know first hand

yes Daniel, NOW, I'm just messing with you and giving you a hard time
Thanks for that Brian. Gotta love you.

But I hear what you're saying. Everything you said is in fact true.
Old 07-08-11, 10:56 AM
techtalk
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I've only used the stock OEM air filter in my old '00 GS300. It's cheap like me (for a mere $17 you really can't go wrong! ) and gets the job done. I've tried after market "performance" air filters before and honestly could not notice a perceivable increase in my GS's performance so I don't think that the high price of these filters is justified.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-08-11, 11:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta love you
whoa,whoa,whoa i dont know you that well

Originally Posted by techtalk
I've tried after market "performance" air filters before and honestly could not notice a perceivable increase in my GS's performance so I don't think that the high price of these filters is justified.
i dont really notice much performance increase but one of the things that sold me on the k&n was its a lifetime filter. yes you need to oil/clean it everytime you need to change it so your not without a total cost but each recharge/cleaner box lasted me ATLEAST 5-6 recharges and the cost of the refill box was like 20-25.

so you spend (assuming you change the filter every other month)

17x6=102

i spend 30-50 on the filter,20-25 on the recharge kit

so lets say $75 if i paid retail for both....i STILL only spend $75 for the year and then the next year i spend maybe $40-50 on 2 recharge boxes and your still spending $102....its a easy $50 i can spend on other maintenance items
Old 07-08-11, 11:06 PM
kmy
Driver

^....that reminds me. I think I better go K&N. I still got my recharge kit from when I got a K&N on my WRx. Only used it once and the kit is still like new. Yea, I'm going K&N. Gotta make use of it. Not gonna throw $20 down the drain.
Old 07-09-11, 01:08 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

so you spend (assuming you change the filter every other month)

17x6=102
Who would change their filter every other month?!

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 07-09-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 01:34 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

whoa,whoa,whoa i dont know you that well
It's just words. Don't take it literal, Brian.
Old 07-09-11, 03:42 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Who would change their filter every other month?!
my work is next to a manure facility and right next to a wood chipping company, i change mine more often than that....you should see the stuff covering my car daily and it DEF gets on the air filter

It's just words. Don't take it literal, Brian.
i know
Old 07-09-11, 03:43 PM
ThirdHonk
Rookie

So is the SRT Intake worth the extra money? Or should I just get a K&N intake? I've heard mixed opinions about both (obviously) so it would set my mind to ease if I heard the opinion of someone with experience.

Basically what I'm asking, are you happy with the SRT Intake? Was it easy to install? All that.

Last edited by ThirdHonk; 07-09-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 03:58 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThirdHonk
So is the SRT Intake worth the extra money? Or should I just get a K&N intake? I've heard mixed opinions about both (obviously) so it would set my mind to ease if I heard the opinion of someone with experience.
i think its worth every penny....

other satisfied customers in here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-and-mod.html
Old 07-09-11, 04:14 PM
ThirdHonk
Rookie

i think its worth every penny....

other satisfied customers in here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-and-mod.html
So you haven't driven without the Kajukenbo box around it? I'm fine with noise as long as it's not an annoying sound. My Mustang is really loud so going from that to the Lexus is like night and day. So I can handle a little noise.
Old 07-09-11, 04:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThirdHonk
So you haven't driven without the Kajukenbo box around it? I'm fine with noise as long as it's not an annoying sound. My Mustang is really loud so going from that to the Lexus is like night and day. So I can handle a little noise.
i have driven with it, did you read the link i gave you or just look at the pics and skim it? i didnt give a opinion of it with the box as i never used it without the box but i def gave my thoughts/opinions of the intake
Old 07-09-11, 05:03 PM
ThirdHonk
Rookie

i have driven with it, did you read the link i gave you or just look at the pics and skim it? i didnt give a opinion of it with the box as i never used it without the box but i def gave my thoughts/opinions of the intake
Yeah, that's what I was asking. I was wondering if you had ever driven without the box. I was wondering if you knew anything about the noise. But if you only have ever had the intake with the box, you wouldn't know. My last question was merely about the noise without the box. I know your opinions of the intake and I appreciate that. Just wanted to know more about the noise.

Quick Reply: I need a new Air Filter